Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • assj
    • By assj 16th Sep 19, 6:38 PM
    • 2,018Posts
    • 826Thanks
    assj
    This job, or that job?
    • 16th Sep 19, 6:38 PM
    This job, or that job? 16th Sep 19 at 6:38 PM
    I interviewed for two roles, with nearly the same title.

I accepted offer 1 and started, I have been in post 1 month soon.

I was then offered job 2, and asked to start December, I would need to give notice in 2 weeks if I decided to take this, as I must give 60 days notice.

I'm changing my mind daily on which roles is most suitable.

Current Role

20 miles away from home, can take over 1 hour due to traffic
    Feel very happy there
    Role includes more elements than new role, so different aspects
    Role pays 4k less that new offer
    Role provides 4 days less annual leave
    Can work flexi and take 2 flex days per month

New Role Offered

3 miles away from home, approx 15 mins
    Not sure about the people obviously
    Role has less elements/ areas of responsibility
    Role pays 4k more
    4 days extra annual leave
    Can work flexi and take 1 day flex per month

So I am now really stuck, is experience and extra responsibility a good thing, or is this just to overwork you. Do I go for money and extra leave or stick to what I know and learn and gain more experience in different aspects.

Both roles carry nearly the same job title.

How can I focus on what's important here.
Page 1
    • Wyndham
    • By Wyndham 16th Sep 19, 7:02 PM
    • 2,113 Posts
    • 2,435 Thanks
    Wyndham
    • 16th Sep 19, 7:02 PM
    • 16th Sep 19, 7:02 PM
    You say you feel very happy in your current role. That is both very valuable, and much rarer than you might think.

No one can really advise you, you have to make your own decision. What is important to you?
    • assj
    • By assj 16th Sep 19, 7:15 PM
    • 2,018 Posts
    • 826 Thanks
    assj
    • 16th Sep 19, 7:15 PM
    • 16th Sep 19, 7:15 PM
    At the moment I hate the travel and I have young children, sometimes I need to take them to school so I arrive quite late at work as a result.

I also need the money, as they get older in need more space at home for them, so have to consider a house move.

Yet I am scared to make a change, I was in my previous role 12 years, so a recent change and thought of another scares me a little.

I feel that if I choose one I will always think I should have gone with the other.

Thanks for your reply too.
    • theoretica
    • By theoretica 16th Sep 19, 8:30 PM
    • 6,018 Posts
    • 7,459 Thanks
    theoretica
    • 16th Sep 19, 8:30 PM
    • 16th Sep 19, 8:30 PM
    A few thoughts that you may already have taken into account:

With the experience you are gaining in your current role, what are the prospects for promotion or pay rise, both in that company or moving?

You are considering a house move - might it be nearer the new work?

How significant is the £4k as a proportion of the salary?

What are market rates for the job? If either company is paying over or under the going rate then can you work out why?
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
    • Leah_Talbot
    • By Leah_Talbot 16th Sep 19, 9:12 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Leah_Talbot
    • 16th Sep 19, 9:12 PM
    • 16th Sep 19, 9:12 PM
    What do you want to do? You say that you are happy. We cannot advise. It is up to you to decide what to do. How long have you worked there? Weigh up pros and cons.
    • buggy_boy
    • By buggy_boy 16th Sep 19, 11:20 PM
    • 582 Posts
    • 440 Thanks
    buggy_boy
    • 16th Sep 19, 11:20 PM
    • 16th Sep 19, 11:20 PM
    Something often overlooked but might be worth considering is a comparison of pensions?

Personally I think the fact you have not said no to job 2 and your asking on here says everything... if you got the same money and same holiday entitlement would just the travel be enough to keep you in your current role?

You could ask your current employer giving saying given the other job is more money and closer so less commute time and cost you cannot afford to say no, would they be willing to match the pay and holiday, although if you are going to do this then I would suggest you be ready for them to say no and leave.

If its just about some sort of miss placed loyalty I would not worry about that I mean if your current employer needed to save money im sure given your likely still in probation period you would be given the boot without a second thought.
    • Planet Switzerland
    • By Planet Switzerland 18th Sep 19, 10:03 PM
    • 217 Posts
    • 151 Thanks
    Planet Switzerland
    • 18th Sep 19, 10:03 PM
    • 18th Sep 19, 10:03 PM
    I think if you've been in your current role for less than month it's too early to know for sure whether you'll be happy there long term. Most jobs I've done I've been happy in when I first started them, but hated with a passion by the time I left them.

Whatever decision you make will be a gamble, if it turns out good you'll think right decision, if it turns out bad you'll think wrong decision, but in reality you'll never know what would have happened if you picked the other option.
    • assj
    • By assj 18th Sep 19, 11:30 PM
    • 2,018 Posts
    • 826 Thanks
    assj
    • 18th Sep 19, 11:30 PM
    • 18th Sep 19, 11:30 PM
    Hi all thanks for the feedback. I’m still really undecided.

My work is local government, and so it means some things are set in stone like pay and holiday.

If I do leave I’ll be leaving after 3 months, and I’ll be there 1 month when I give notice, it’s a senior leadership role so I do feel some obligation to the authority but also my team.

A move would be for myself, my pocket and I feel it will help my family life with school age children.

I would not have started the role if I had a definite offer from the other, but there was some delay in getting that and I was forced to start in fear of no job. Both jobs I was happy with, until I got the decision.

My current role will possibly encounter a merger within the next 2 years, whereas the new role should not as it’s a different type of authority. We also have a financial warning in respect of budget failings where I am!

I do feel I have some barriers in current role, and there are people on my toes in respect of my work because they have been given bits and pieces to do.

Like you have said I’ll probably always think I should have picked the other ��
    Last edited by assj; 18-09-2019 at 11:36 PM.
    • ReadingTim
    • By ReadingTim 19th Sep 19, 9:16 AM
    • 3,451 Posts
    • 5,175 Thanks
    ReadingTim
    • 19th Sep 19, 9:16 AM
    • 19th Sep 19, 9:16 AM
    Reject both, quit your current job, and run away and join the circus.
    • rollingmoon
    • By rollingmoon 19th Sep 19, 11:01 AM
    • 28 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    rollingmoon
    If I do leave Iíll be leaving after 3 months, and Iíll be there 1 month when I give notice, itís a senior leadership role so I do feel some obligation to the authority but also my team.

A move would be for myself, my pocket and I feel it will help my family life with school age children.
    Originally posted by assj
    Don't feel any obligation to your employer - rest assured there'd be no loyalty forthcoming from them were the boot on the other foot, so to speak. The last bit of the quote is the only really important factor IMO. Good luck with whatever you decide anyway!
    • assj
    • By assj 20th Sep 19, 5:00 PM
    • 2,018 Posts
    • 826 Thanks
    assj
    Well just to add to my issue.

I attended a meeting I organised with the new employer that I’m considering.

I asked about it provision and was told we will try to get you a laptop sorted. That wasn’t the answer I expected and I can sometimes get asked urgent questions late, early weekends etc, and I think it’s teally rare to have no laptop in a senior role, maybe I’m wrong?

I asked what is the agile working policy, can I work from home, I rarely do but if you are not well or have issues like snow it can be useful, answer was yes we have flexi you can come in later and go earlier as and when. So clearly not understood.

Giving benefit of doubt I asked about flexi and working from other locations, yes it’s fine but you have to work the same hours as your staff, but we can look at that if you need it.

The office full with written records. I asked about learning and induction etc, it was get on with it as I don’t have time, which is fine until you need to know how to use their systems.

Have I just gone back 50 years, I’m left feeling that this is not a forward thinking, modern employer.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

48Posts Today

2,564Users online

Martin's Twitter