Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

    • DoctorStrange
    • By DoctorStrange 19th Sep 19, 7:07 PM
    • 80Posts
    • 30Thanks
    Advice please - Truck hit house
    • #1
    • 19th Sep 19, 7:07 PM
    Advice please - Truck hit house 19th Sep 19 at 7:07 PM

    My house is at the end of narrow road, and a truck has ignored the "No Through Road" sign, then attempted to turn around. In the process, he's hit the house. The police were called we were given the incident number.

    The damage appears to be superficial but we'd like a stone mason to review and advise what needs done to restore it.

    Does anyone have any experience with dealing with companies in instances like this? Ideally, I'd rather not go through my home insurance as I'll lose my no claims and my premiums will increase but will I be forced to do you think?

    Or is there a chance the driver's company might want to settle quickly and quietly?

    Also, is there any chance of any compensation element do you think? I'm not after a lot but my partner got a real fright and is upset so AIBU to expect a gesture of goodwill as well?

    I've been fortunate to never have claimed on any insurance policy so any advice on how best to proceed would be appreciated.
Page 1
    • JGB1955
    • By JGB1955 19th Sep 19, 7:24 PM
    • 352 Posts
    • 396 Thanks
    • #2
    • 19th Sep 19, 7:24 PM
    • #2
    • 19th Sep 19, 7:24 PM
    You'll have to tell your insurance company, whether you claim or not. What if something becomes apparent in 10 years time, due to the incident? Claim now... that's what you pay your insurance premium for.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 19th Sep 19, 7:26 PM
    • 67,246 Posts
    • 394,175 Thanks
    • #3
    • 19th Sep 19, 7:26 PM
    • #3
    • 19th Sep 19, 7:26 PM
    You have to claim. It needs a structural engineer really. You don' know what hidden damage it's done - and need to get it dealt with properly now.

    Go through your insurance.... you'll be glad you did if you spot movement in 1-3 years' time or want to sell it.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,030Posts Today

6,795Users online

Martin's Twitter