Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • AlanB1979
    • By AlanB1979 19th Sep 19, 4:58 PM
    • 10Posts
    • 0Thanks
    AlanB1979
    Best Car Insurance for new-ish but older driver - almost 40
    • 19th Sep 19, 4:58 PM
    Best Car Insurance for new-ish but older driver - almost 40 19th Sep 19 at 4:58 PM
    Hi,

Could someone advise on who would be best for cheap car insurance for an older driver.

To explain, I have several years experience in my home country however since moving to the UK /London 7 years ago I have not had the need to drive, pubic transport has been more than sufficient.

In the last year I have been getting out of the city more and exploring the UK, its now time to get back on the road. As I like to surf I am considering an SUV so I can haul my stuff with me and that of my friends.

With that in mind could someone recommend an insurance provider that would take into consideration a new-ish (as I have not driven in several years but still know how) driver about to hit 40. I will be taking top up lessons in Oct before resitting the test as my old licence has been out of date for several years. I intend to have passed by end of Nov all going well.

A few further questions too, would an insurance provider take into consideration time spent driving a rented car as proof of driving competency?

Would getting black box insurance and doing an intensive driving course help reduce my first years premium?

Any advice greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
Page 1
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 25th Sep 19, 1:53 AM
    • 29,470 Posts
    • 12,113 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 25th Sep 19, 1:53 AM
    • 25th Sep 19, 1:53 AM
    There are no insurance companies that are cheaper than the rest for everyone.

My insurer may quote triple the price for you and may quote triple the price for me if i moved one street away.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

77Posts Today

2,111Users online

Martin's Twitter