Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • lalalsl
    • By lalalsl 3rd Sep 19, 11:42 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    lalalsl
    Student Loan Repayment
    • 3rd Sep 19, 11:42 AM
    Student Loan Repayment 3rd Sep 19 at 11:42 AM
    Hello, not quite sure if i'm in the right forum.

Basically, I finished uni 5 years ago, have had a decent job since and been paying a good amount of student loan off each month. I quit my job in February to go travelling for a year and have since been hounded by SLC about repayment. I've filled in the online form many times and sent off back statements but this never seems to be enough and they keep on asking for the same evidence over and over. Has anyone else had experience with this? Is there an end point where they are satisfied that i'm unemployed and living from savings? Its been going on for 7 months now so I'm assuming chances are they'll still be chasing when i go back to the UK!
Page 1
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 4th Sep 19, 3:34 PM
    • 39,459 Posts
    • 163,548 Thanks
    silvercar
    • 4th Sep 19, 3:34 PM
    • 4th Sep 19, 3:34 PM
    A familiar story, put in a complaint to slc.
    • sazaccount
    • By sazaccount 5th Sep 19, 9:50 PM
    • 420 Posts
    • 390 Thanks
    sazaccount
    • 5th Sep 19, 9:50 PM
    • 5th Sep 19, 9:50 PM
    OH yes the dreaded SLC overseas repayment,

I've gone though this 5 times with SLC so far (you have to update each year) and I currently have a debt collection agency after arrears (Complaint laid with SLC, due to them not changing my country from NZ to India) as they have "lost", ignored, "not received" letters phone calls and previous complaints.

I however was very surprised at this last lot of information I sent in via the online system which is new and soooo much easier than emailing the evidence to my mum to print and then send from the UK as I've lost count of the amount of times I've posted information from overseas and its "not arrived". I had added extra written info as wasn't able to upload some documents and they accepted it ok.
    Thanks to money saving tips and debt repayments/becoming debt free I have been able to work and travel for the last 4 years visiting 12 countries and working within 3 of them. Currently living and working in Canada
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

32Posts Today

3,553Users online

Martin's Twitter