Can I claim back overdraft charges?

Hi, totally new to posting on forums but here goes. I have been continually using my arranged overdraft for just over 2 years and have been charged daily fees for the whole time. My wages are not enough to get me back in the black and I feel trapped. I have 3 young children that I need to support and feel these charges (£1400 paid to date) have put me further into financial hardship. Can these fees be claimed back or will I have to keep paying? I live modestly, I’m not entitled to any benefits, I don’t have any unnecessary subscriptions etc and don’t smoke/drink, so I feel there is nowhere i can make cutbacks. Any advice on this would be really appreciated

Comments

• If you're currently suffering financial hardship, contact the bank and explain the problems you're having. They have a range of options they could offer to get you back on your feet.
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,480 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    They won't necessarily refund you any money but they may,or they may suspend charges or interest.
    When you write to them, say you are in current financial hardship. Do not mention charges apart from that it isn't sustainable for you.
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • You’re unlikely to get historic fees back, but as per above, may get a reduction now. Is your partner, or the children’s father paying their share of the household bills? Can you or they take on some weekend or evening work?
  • Mrsn
    Mrsn Posts: 1,430 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Which bank are you with OP? I ask because a few months back whilst receiving SSP I phoned my own bank (NatWest) explained the current financial hardship and they very generously refunded 12 months worth of charges. You have nothing to lose by speaking to them
  • I already work evenings and weekends and take any overtime on that I can, it’s just not covering the overdraft let alone the mortgage and bills. My husband is in the same situation, unable to get out of the overdraft and he works full time-so there is no room for extra hours, I walk out to work as soon as he walks in from work.
  • I am with Halifax, and my husband is with Lloyd’s tsb. (He is in the same situation) We have just wrote a letter to both banks to explain our situation so hopefully we will be fortunate enough to recuperate some fees back like yourself. Fingers crossed 🤞
  • Mrsn
    Mrsn Posts: 1,430 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    I do sympathise, their overdraft fee structure is harsh and difficult to get out of. I hope it’s positive for you
  • The bank won't give you any money and they will demand every penny back. They don't care.
  • Bermonia
    Bermonia Posts: 977 Forumite
    First Post
    The bank won't give you any money and they will demand every penny back. They don't care.

Really constructive and insightful post... thank you for taking time of of your busy day to post that :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure