Didn't pay train fare!!!!

12346»

Comments

• redux
    redux Posts: 22,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    My nearest station has not been staffed since I was at school. There are other unstaffed stations not far away.

Before the advent of a ticket machine, I would always go to the guard's compartment. If I was just going to the next station 5 minutes away I might be told to buy at the barrier there. Once in a while the person there would send me to the ticket office, for instance if he had no change.

Now there is a machine at the local station, which has more traffic than it used to, but even if it was a place without a machine I think the people who are saying if the guard doesn't come round that removes your responsibility are being a bit too easy on themselves.
  • note_2
    note_2 Posts: 169 Forumite
    the way i see it is, if the conductor comes round i pay, if they dont, i'm not going to go out of my way to get charged, especially as they charge so much.....

the train system in this nation is a joke, i recently tried to get a ticket from here to birmingham and you need a degree to be able to understand it.....
  • note wrote: »
    the way i see it is, if the conductor comes round i pay, if they dont, i'm not going to go out of my way to get charged, especially as they charge so much.....

the train system in this nation is a joke, i recently tried to get a ticket from here to birmingham and you need a degree to be able to understand it.....

Thats probably because 'here' is not a place.
    "If you no longer go for a gap, you are no longer a racing driver" - Ayrton Senna
  • Oh, how the provincials live..... :)

Down here, there are Permit to Travel machines in the few pretty much unmanned stations.

For the sake of a few pence, it's worthwhile getting one in the rare event of the ticket machines being out of order at exactly the same time as the ticket office being closed.

There are also still conductors on those more rural lines.

The rest of the area generally has fully staffed stations all day and most of the night (if not all), and quite often have RP staff working until late on the barriers and on the trains themselves, complete with Transport police.

Occasionally, you might find a large station where the barriers are all open, but it is rare and generally not worth the risk.

It's easier to pay for the ticket, get a travelcard or use an Oyster.

But still there are people who try to get away with not paying. And I have no sympathy for them.

The OP, however, I think is OK - just look for the Permit to Travel machine next time.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family