Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • toffee'n'tom
    • By toffee'n'tom 11th Sep 12, 9:09 PM
    • 426Posts
    • 303Thanks
    toffee'n'tom
    Didn't pay train fare!!!!
    • 11th Sep 12, 9:09 PM
    Didn't pay train fare!!!! 11th Sep 12 at 9:09 PM
    I travelled on the train to work today for the first time ever (only because there is no train station where I live - nothing against train travel). I took my car for an MOT to a garage next to an unmanned train station with no ticket machine and I was travelling about 3 miles to the end of the line. I've only ever travelled a few times on a train from a main station when I have either purchased the ticket on line or at the station.

Anyway my son said that a conductor would collect my fare on the train. I got on - money in hand - but no conductor. We stopped at one station. Still no conductor and then we reached the end of the line. I disembarked and no conductor and no-one to pay and no turnstile to get out.

I know it was only 90p but I felt dreadful. I absolutely instill into my two children not to be dishonest in any way whatsoever and I even gave a lecture about avoiding train fares only that week (not that they would!) as both were catching a train themselves. And there I was - fare dodging!

Now I may have to take my car in again. What should I have done?
Page 3
    • Zanzibar
    • By Zanzibar 12th Sep 12, 7:57 PM
    • 191 Posts
    • 101 Thanks
    Zanzibar
    I think you'll find that Zanzibar's post was a p*sstake of Tricky's equally preachy post to the OP
    Originally posted by Joe Horner

Stop it! giving it away like that.... - I did love the indignant comments though..
    • Joe Horner
    • By Joe Horner 12th Sep 12, 8:06 PM
    • 4,744 Posts
    • 4,213 Thanks
    Joe Horner
    Stop it! giving it away like that.... - I did love the indignant comments though..
    Originally posted by Zanzibar
    Sorry

Sometimes I think the population of this site must be American given their regular failure to spot humour humor like that
    • TrickyWicky
    • By TrickyWicky 12th Sep 12, 8:51 PM
    • 3,862 Posts
    • 3,225 Thanks
    TrickyWicky
    Originally posted by Zanzibar
    Consdiring my post was tongue in cheek (especially my handy guide for buying a train ticket) I'm really surprised you took it so seriously to be honest.

A disabled person in this thread said they weren't offended by my remarks.

I even left my own tales of woe to make the op feel better.

Op then replies mumbling about my comments re disabled. I reply back in a "mumble at me I'll mumble at you" manner and its still all my fault?

I don't remember anyone complaining when the sun published a "how to walk" guide for John Prescott so many moons ago.

Nevermind, one thing I've learned about MSE since joining is that there are many others willing to pounce on you for anything and that includes jesting.
    Last edited by TrickyWicky; 12-09-2012 at 8:54 PM.
    • toffee'n'tom
    • By toffee'n'tom 12th Sep 12, 8:58 PM
    • 426 Posts
    • 303 Thanks
    toffee'n'tom
    flippin eck!!!! I am not offended by your comments Bit like you wanting to wind me up - I'm the same. All I wanted to know is will i get prosecuted for not paying my 90p fare given that i took all reasonable steps in all the circumstances.

and it appears the answer is no. So if anyone wants a free train ride - come to Wrexham!!!
    • Livingthedream
    • By Livingthedream 12th Sep 12, 9:09 PM
    • 2,530 Posts
    • 3,489 Thanks
    Livingthedream
    All I wanted to know is will i get prosecuted for not paying my 90p fare given that i took all reasonable steps in all the circumstances.
    Originally posted by toffee'n'tom
    No, you're safe.

free train ride - come to Wrexham!!!
    However, posting that on a public forum might mean a bit of a hit on trains around Wrexham over the next few days.
    Whoa! This image violates our terms of use and has been removed from view
    • TrickyWicky
    • By TrickyWicky 12th Sep 12, 10:35 PM
    • 3,862 Posts
    • 3,225 Thanks
    TrickyWicky
    All I wanted to know is will i get prosecuted for not paying my 90p fare given that i took all reasonable steps in all the circumstances.
    IF you were a regular fare dodger in central london yes they'd probably start keeping an eye out for you.

A one off isn't going to even register on the radar so stop worrying!

Seriously, chill!
    • Stigy
    • By Stigy 12th Sep 12, 10:36 PM
    • 1,532 Posts
    • 638 Thanks
    Stigy
    flippin eck!!!! I am not offended by your comments Bit like you wanting to wind me up - I'm the same. All I wanted to know is will i get prosecuted for not paying my 90p fare given that i took all reasonable steps in all the circumstances.

and it appears the answer is no. So if anyone wants a free train ride - come to Wrexham!!!
    To prosecute you, a member of staff would have had to have stopped you, requested your name and address and in this case been of the belief that you intended not to pay for your rail journey. As livingthedream said, you're safe, don't worry!
  • vel1980
    It was common 10 years ago for them not to bother. As mentioned above I frequently used to be told by the guards not to bother and they'd then get you through the ticket inspectors at the terminating station.

They all have guards now but back in the BR days it was common for there to be no guard in the evening and the train driver would simply stick his head out of the window and look back - shouting at people to slam the door if they left it open. You'd always get the odd kid that would let it and make the poor bloke walk down the platform to slam it
    Originally posted by TrickyWicky
    Not all train companies have guards e.g. First Capital Connect. They only have driver only trains. Every so often you'll see a "Revenue Protection Officer" who'll jump on somewhere down the route then jump off after a couple of stops. But they're not allowed to take payment for tickets and only issue penalty fare notices.
    • tripled
    • By tripled 3rd Oct 12, 12:48 AM
    • 2,463 Posts
    • 1,126 Thanks
    tripled
    There probably wasn't a ticket machine because it's not cost effective. The guard is not always going to be able to make it through the train and collect all (or sometimes any) fares, the train comapny will know this. But the lost revenue is probably less that the cost of improving ticket buying facilities. So you've fallen into a situation where it was more profitable for them not to collect a fare.

Provided you're satisfied you made a reasonable effort to pay, your concience should be clear, but if not, as others have suggested, you could send them a cheque for 90p (it would probably cost them more than 90p to process it plus it'll cost you a stamp so you'll both lose out) or just stick 90p in a charity box.

If it was Arriva, the taxpayer has paid for the majority of your journey anyway. That's not an excuse for fare evasion, but may help ease your concience where you have genuinely been unable to pay as they have had a fair few quid off the public purse anyway.

Edit: If you arrived into Wrexham station then you must have been pretty early in the morning for the ticket office not to be open!
    Last edited by tripled; 03-10-2012 at 12:52 AM.
    • Tomby1
    • By Tomby1 3rd Oct 12, 2:09 AM
    • 218 Posts
    • 524 Thanks
    Tomby1
    I have seen and had this debate many times.

If you got on to a train at a station where you weren't able to purchase a ticket, got off at a station where you weren't able to purchase a ticket and the ticket inspector did come into your carriage, it is in no way your fault that you didn't buy the ticket.

The vast majority of train lines that have stations without ticketing facilities have guards that check tickets from a certain point into the journey up until nearer the end of the journey. If you get on or off before these points, your ticket cost will be so minimal that they probably aren't worried too much.

Obviously, it becomes your issue if you deliberately avoid the opportunity to pay a fare.

• missile
    • By missile 3rd Oct 12, 6:50 AM
    • 10,224 Posts
    • 5,259 Thanks
    missile
    I'm surprised anyone posts on here asking for advice if they're met with such comments. I won't be doing it again.
    Your loss.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home
    • redux
    • By redux 3rd Oct 12, 9:32 AM
    • 19,785 Posts
    • 27,535 Thanks
    redux
    My nearest station has not been staffed since I was at school. There are other unstaffed stations not far away.

Before the advent of a ticket machine, I would always go to the guard's compartment. If I was just going to the next station 5 minutes away I might be told to buy at the barrier there. Once in a while the person there would send me to the ticket office, for instance if he had no change.

Now there is a machine at the local station, which has more traffic than it used to, but even if it was a place without a machine I think the people who are saying if the guard doesn't come round that removes your responsibility are being a bit too easy on themselves.
  • note
    the way i see it is, if the conductor comes round i pay, if they dont, i'm not going to go out of my way to get charged, especially as they charge so much.....

the train system in this nation is a joke, i recently tried to get a ticket from here to birmingham and you need a degree to be able to understand it.....
    • Jeff Bridges hair
    • By Jeff Bridges hair 3rd Oct 12, 1:09 PM
    • 5,952 Posts
    • 7,233 Thanks
    Jeff Bridges hair
    the way i see it is, if the conductor comes round i pay, if they dont, i'm not going to go out of my way to get charged, especially as they charge so much.....

the train system in this nation is a joke, i recently tried to get a ticket from here to birmingham and you need a degree to be able to understand it.....
    Originally posted by note

Thats probably because 'here' is not a place.
    "If you no longer go for a gap, you are no longer a racing driver" - Ayrton Senna
    • Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 20th Oct 12, 10:38 PM
    • 25,749 Posts
    • 106,039 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    Oh, how the provincials live.....

Down here, there are Permit to Travel machines in the few pretty much unmanned stations.

For the sake of a few pence, it's worthwhile getting one in the rare event of the ticket machines being out of order at exactly the same time as the ticket office being closed.

There are also still conductors on those more rural lines.

The rest of the area generally has fully staffed stations all day and most of the night (if not all), and quite often have RP staff working until late on the barriers and on the trains themselves, complete with Transport police.

Occasionally, you might find a large station where the barriers are all open, but it is rare and generally not worth the risk.

It's easier to pay for the ticket, get a travelcard or use an Oyster.

But still there are people who try to get away with not paying. And I have no sympathy for them.

The OP, however, I think is OK - just look for the Permit to Travel machine next time.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.

Yup you are officially Rock n Roll
    Originally posted by colinw
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

183Posts Today

1,795Users online

Martin's Twitter