Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
  • art_for_arts_sake
    • 28th Aug 12, 10:03 AM
    • 28th Aug 12, 10:03 AM
    Is the landline dead? Not when it's a condition of having one to access broadband from many ISPs. Yes, there are other options, but a landline is still the most common for accessing the internet.
  • onoski
    • 28th Aug 12, 10:07 AM
    • 28th Aug 12, 10:07 AM
    I'd love to cut my home phone line off! I only use it for the broadband.
    • spadoosh
    • By spadoosh 28th Aug 12, 10:08 AM
    • 7,518 Posts
    • 11,022 Thanks
    spadoosh
    • 28th Aug 12, 10:08 AM
    • 28th Aug 12, 10:08 AM
    The home phone is dead, landline not quite yet. Dont have a phone plugged in at home, all phone calls are made through mobiles. Landline is purely used for broadband.
    Don't be angry!
    • RussWWFC
    • By RussWWFC 28th Aug 12, 10:10 AM
    • 559 Posts
    • 180 Thanks
    RussWWFC
    • 28th Aug 12, 10:10 AM
    • 28th Aug 12, 10:10 AM
    The only use for home phones that I can see is 0800 numbers, waste of space otherwise apart from the landline hosting your broadband, that's all it is now, a chance to squeeze extra cash out of internet users
    Wycombe Till I Die
    • N.I.M
    • By N.I.M 28th Aug 12, 10:14 AM
    • 2,248 Posts
    • 7,050 Thanks
    N.I.M
    • 28th Aug 12, 10:14 AM
    • 28th Aug 12, 10:14 AM
    My family live in the Republic of Ireland and a lot of providers give free weekend calls to the ROI so I use it a lot at weekends to catch up and make sure everyone is still alive etc. That and 0800 numbers, but the line is mainly in for the Broadband.
    This was 6 months out of date so I've changed it.
    • fallenxiii
    • By fallenxiii 28th Aug 12, 10:19 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    fallenxiii
    • 28th Aug 12, 10:19 AM
    I use my landline mostly for my broadband connection OR for 08xxx numbers that cost a fortune on mobile.

Where possible I use the SayNoTo0870 site to find a geographical number instead.
    • HeadAboveWater
    • By HeadAboveWater 28th Aug 12, 10:19 AM
    • 3,892 Posts
    • 9,344 Thanks
    HeadAboveWater
    Haven't had a landline since I first moved out of my parents house about 10 years ago. Have only ever used my mobile.
    For internet I used 3 mobile broadband for a few years and have now switched to their MiFi.

I've got both on good deals (I think so anyway!), so I'm paying 21 total a month
    Wealth is what you're left with when all your money runs out
    • madcatwomanlinda
    • By madcatwomanlinda 28th Aug 12, 10:21 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    madcatwomanlinda
    • 28th Aug 12, 10:21 AM
    • 28th Aug 12, 10:21 AM
    I had to have a landline as part of my Virgin Media package. Only my mother and aunt call me on it though.
  • VEB
    I have to use a landline, there is no mobile coverage for any network where I live in Oxfordshire.
    I have a sure signal box (mobile signal via internet line) but our broadband is too slow and inconsistent for that to be a realistic alternative.
    • slickric1234
    • By slickric1234 28th Aug 12, 11:01 AM
    • 339 Posts
    • 133 Thanks
    slickric1234
    martin can you get a campaign going for a cheaper landline if its purely for broadband

bt have us over a barrel
    i dont want a landline, but as virgin dont have true fibreoptic cable broadband in my road its sadly the only option for good internet
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 28th Aug 12, 11:09 AM
    • 26,796 Posts
    • 70,562 Thanks
    pollypenny
    As so many of us have a landline as part of a package, with free calls, it's mad not to use it.

DD has one, but persists in paying for an expensive mobile on top.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
    • HeadAboveWater
    • By HeadAboveWater 28th Aug 12, 11:13 AM
    • 3,892 Posts
    • 9,344 Thanks
    HeadAboveWater
    Free calls are fine in theory, but if everyone you know only has a mobile and no landline, those free minutes aren't any use...
    Wealth is what you're left with when all your money runs out
    • MatthewGaskin
    • By MatthewGaskin 28th Aug 12, 11:39 AM
    • 21 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    MatthewGaskin
    Once you get outside Oxford's city limits the mobile signal disappears. A landline is the only option at my home unless I fancy standing at the end of the garden and shouting 'What?' a lot.

And we're in the 'fortunate' part of Oxfordshire that's able to get broadband at blistering, er, 2Mbps speeds.
  • tlh858
    Like many, the landline is only there because it's used for broadband.

No other options here - no cable and no 3G phone coverage at all.
    • Pmarmalade
    • By Pmarmalade 28th Aug 12, 12:28 PM
    • 163 Posts
    • 137 Thanks
    Pmarmalade
    Wouldn't have a phone at all if I it wasn't for broadband! What really disappointed me was when I looked to take out a Virgin package and they still required I have a landline (albeit from them).

The only good thing about a landline as far as I'm concerned... it can help you in financial applications!
    • spadoosh
    • By spadoosh 28th Aug 12, 12:32 PM
    • 7,518 Posts
    • 11,022 Thanks
    spadoosh
    Wouldn't have a phone at all if I it wasn't for broadband! What really disappointed me was when I looked to take out a Virgin package and they still required I have a landline (albeit from them).

The only good thing about a landline as far as I'm concerned... it can help you in financial applications!
    Originally posted by Pmarmalade
    Eh? What are you reffering to with this?! I cant ever imagine a situation where someone would be refused finance because they gave a mobile instead of a landline?!?

Or are you just saying its easier to apply for finance over the phone?!
    Don't be angry!
    • aldredd
    • By aldredd 28th Aug 12, 3:03 PM
    • 918 Posts
    • 659 Thanks
    aldredd
    I'm lucky - I managed to get onto the FTTP (Fibre Optic line direct to your home) trial, meaning I got it installed for free, with all equipment, at a heavily subsidized rate - which allowed me to get rid of ADSL and Line Rental all together.

Now the trial is over, and paying 'full' price, I'm still paying less for my 100MB line than it was costing for my old 2.5 (if I was lucky) broadband.
    Bye Bye BT!
    • luxor4t
    • By luxor4t 28th Aug 12, 3:48 PM
    • 10,660 Posts
    • 38,668 Thanks
    luxor4t
    As long as we have Mil, we'll have to have a landline. She doesn't ring mobile numbers .... yes, I know that is illogical, but good luck trying to get her to understand
    I can cook and sew, make flowers grow.
    • roddydogs
    • By roddydogs 28th Aug 12, 4:48 PM
    • 6,439 Posts
    • 2,784 Thanks
    roddydogs
    Not having as landline No is sefish, why should we have to pay 15p Pm to call you? or 30p pm from a cell phone?. Majorly annoying.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

541Posts Today

6,117Users online

Martin's Twitter