Have you donated?

2»

Comments

• I agree with your comment about the journo's. They must be getting in the way (and think how much aid could have been sent instead of these people). I hope they and/or their employers have made a reasonable contribution to the effort & not just by reporting it

If journos were not there reporting it do you think the country would have been so motivated to give so much money?
  • Ok, feed the world & all that. What I am getting at is that we should just donate whatever we can/want to but not be made to feel less of a person cos someone else gives more. Only the person donating can know the worth of what they are giving.

How many of us could not beg steal or borrow (well maybe not steal) £1000 from somewhere to donate if we really wanted to? And if you can manage that you could probably manage more. where would we stop? Imagine you live in a 200,000 house. You could downsize to a 100,000 and save loads of lives donating the other 100,000 quid
  • G based on savings made from tips on the site in the last month-we've been buying appliances for a new kitchen.

Makes you remember how lucky it is to live in such a stable environment-political, economical and environmental

• If journos were not there reporting it do you think the country would have been so motivated to give so much money?
    OK, but do we really need 3 or 4 from each company, along with their back-up crews? ???
    :eek:
  • I am truly saddened by events in East Asia but millions die in Africa and have been for decades and ALL of us have done little or nothing, so what’s different now? All I am saying is let those that want to give give but don’t force the rest of us.
    You hit the nail on the head there. These donations are voluntary and nobody should be thought worse of, no matter how much or little they give. Charity does exactly what it says on the tin!!!
    :eek:
  • Tears to eyes

Tears to eyes when nightmares we see
    Sometimes become part of reality
    Tragedy strikes when nature runs wild
    Without any warning like a bad tempered child

Tears to eyes when nightmares come true
    Can happen so easily, suddenly too
    So many lives lost we'll often ask why?
    What can we learn from disasters gone by?

Tears to eyes these nightmares will bring
    So much desolation and pain that will sting
    Earthquakes and hurricanes, tsunamis and storms
    Pull us apart and leave our world torn

Tears to eyes the nightmares we fear
    When they occur pray the angels are near
    We must all unite the best way we can
    Through tragic times with helping hands.

Andy 7/1/05
  • OK, but do we really need 3 or 4 from each company, along with their back-up crews?  ???

Probably as they are covering a considerable area of the world, it did not just happen in one place and the back up crews are needed to set up the satellite links work the cameras and sound etc
  • You hit the nail on the head there. These donations are voluntary and nobody should be thought worse of, no matter how much or little they give. Charity does exactly what it says on the tin!!!

What concerns me is the none voluntary contributions made with our money by the government. If the government have 100s of millions of pounds to donate to east asia as they say I want it spent on our hospitals, schools, pensioners, homeless, nurses etc. That is what it was collected for, we don't need the government to donate money on our behalf.  People who want to donate can do so via the various charities.
  • Below are the results to our previous poll. Thanks to the 2118 participants who took part in this poll.

C. Yes, up to £10 19.2% - (407 Votes)
    D. Yes, £11 to £24 17.5% - (372 Votes)
    F. Yes, £50 to £99 16.4% - (348 Votes)
    G. Yes, £100 to £249 13.3% - (283 Votes)
    E. Yes, £25 to £49 12.2% - (260 Votes)
    B. No, but am planning to 9.6% - (204 Votes)
    A. No 8.8% - (187 Votes)
    H. Yes, £250 to £999 2% - (43 Votes)
    I. Yes £1,000 plus 0.6% - (14 Votes)

Total Votes: 2118
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com