Future Finances: Time vs Money

Options

Comments

• ShyAndRetiring
    Options
    :wave: Hi Humpty & SavvySue
    I've made some meals for the freezer to make catering cheaper while we have a houseful and to avoid the temptation of going out for a meal as I can't face cooking for 10 or 12. I made a huge chilli which will feed everyone for one night and probably have enough for wraps for lunch the following day. Made a spicy vegetable sauce that everyone likes with pasta, half is vege with chick peas and half is lamb so that will do two nights. A cottage pie, a bolognese sauce and that is five meals for the week with all the visitors, then one night is fish and chips, obligatory when the come to they seaside for a week and then a roast on Sunday. Breakfast is going to be cereal, toast, yogurt and fruit so easy which leaves me with lunches to think about. If I didn't plan it I would spend a fortune that week, even a trip to the beach with parking for two cars and an icecream each comes to £30 so even with a packed lunch it isn't cheap.
    :eek: That is hideously expensive for a beach trip! We live approximately 5 mins from the beach (you can hear a high tide from our garden) and I never realised it's such a money-saver to live so close that we can walk and serve our own ice cream once we're home. Genuinely shocked!

That's so helpful, thanks Humpty! You're right, it's actually far cheaper to do the catering at home for visitors rather than go out and it's great this time of year as we only have a tiny place but can use the garden as a dining room and eat at the table out there!

:D Yes, gotta love a big pot of chilli (bean chilli in our case) as a standby for visitors and as you rightly say, can be made and frozen well ahead of time.
    Savvy_Sue wrote: »
    WRT putting things in trust, it's worth checking that any pension pots you may have are written to benefit the 'right' people, if there is a cash payout on death - it's very similar to the insurance policies.

I was a bit shocked to discover that DH was not named as a beneficiary on one of my pensions, it might have been because I had to start paying into it before we were married / engaged.

The Trustees of the pension scheme do not HAVE to adhere to your wishes, but they'd have to have very good reasons NOT to do so, and one of them might be if you'd not updated your wishes, eg you named your first spouse, then divorced and remarried. If you want your second spouse to benefit, you're well advised to change the pension paperwork.

Thanks Sue, this is good advice, especially as we're a second marriage each. I'm sure our beneficiary info is up to date but no harm in checking, will add it to the list!
    ;)

SaR x
    ~ * ~ "A goal without a plan is just a wish" Antoine de Saint Expuery ~ * ~
  • ShyAndRetiring
    Options
    Hi LessonLearned
    S&R.

I agree with Thriftytracy........as well as wills ideally you also need to to do Lasting Power of Attorneys.....for both Wealth and Property and also Health and Welfare.

They are not the nicest things to think about, but when they're done, they're done and then you can then get on with your lives.

Yes, thanks for this ... you're both right, this is something we do need to deal with.Thanks to the good advice on here, I'll be adding the LPA element to our lines of enquiry too.

As you know I'm a widow now....I have everything in place, including a letter of wishes so that my family know exactly what's what. I keep everything together including insurance policies etc so they know where everything is.

One little snippet that might be of interest to you. And this is something which always astonishes me that financial institutions and solicitors don't advise people on this.

When you buy life insurance make sure that is written in trust for your beneficiaries. Writing it in trust means it bypasses the estate.

This has two advantages.......

1. It is quick. The money goes straight where it is intended, even if the remainder of the estate goes to probate. When my husband died I claimed on the Monday and received a cheque on the Friday.

2. It can reduce your inheritence tax bill (if you have one). because the proceeds of the policy are outwith the estate.

Because the money is paid direct it will mean that there are funds there to pay for your funeral, debts, any expenses or tax bills. This could prove invaluable for your family.

I have known families who have had to take out loans for expenses and tax bills because everything was tied up in the estate. Probate can be a lengthy process. With a little bit of forethought and advance planning you could be saving your loved ones both stress and money.

You will need to pay a small fee to set up the policy in trust. I paid £25 two years ago. It used to be free but now they do charge.

And.......Even if you purchased your life insurance some time ago, you can still put it in trust. It's not just for new policies.

I worked in life insurance at one stage and I always advised my clients to put policies in trust. It still shocks me that solicitors, accountants etc do not always advise their clients better on this.

I'm afraid that some insurance companies don't volunteer this information either. The last time I purchased life cover I had to ask them to do it. I find that pretty poor.

That's real food for thought, thanks LL ... shocking that they don't really share this kind of information. We no longer have life insurance as we don't have a mortgage, we've got a kind of pot for funeral funds but OH would rather spend this on living. Hmmm, something for the next Bored Meeting right there I think.

Whether or not you make your own wills and LPAs is entirely up to you. However, do be careful, especially if you have children from previous marriages or if your wills are likely to be complex. DIY wills are really best only for very simple mirror wills.

And if people are not married......then definitely get a solicitor to do the will.

Yes, you're right there too LL. We got a DIY will from a stationery shop but in the end decided we'll use that to write down actual wishes (bequests, songs, places to scatter ashes etc) and will get a mirror Will officially done. We've got several children between us and OH has some artwork and furniture he specifically wants his daughters to have as these items have always been in his family. It makes sense to me that these wishes should be written down and honoured.

We had to redo our wills when my husband got sick. I had to write him out of my will because, as he was in a nursing home, if I had died before him the State would have seized my portion and my children would have received nothing.

(The fact that he should have been in receipt of Continuing Health Care by this time and wasn't is another story. I did eventually manage to get them to cough up in the end but it was a long battle).

Anyway, The solicitor came out to his nursing home twice. She also had to bring another member of the law firm to ensure that my husband was competent because by this time he couldn't speak and he couldn't write. We also had to have two further independent witnesses.....two nurses were kind enough to do the honours.

We did two wills, two Health and Welfare LPAs, and two Wealth and Property LPAs. Obviously we had to pay for the two visits, including travelling time to compensate for time spent away from their office when they could have been seeing other clients. The total bill came to around £1500.

I think, given the service we received, this was very fair.

At the same time my husband completed an Advanced Directive (instructions for medical care). She also ran her eye over that and countersigned and stamped it so there could be no doubts about my husband's mental capacity. This meant that his instructions could not be countermandered.. She didn't charge for that.

These things are never pleasant to deal with but ...having been placed in a position of being in charge of my husbands care and welfare I soon came to realise the importance of not leaving anything to chance. I needed to ensure that everything I did was absolutely bullet proof so my husbands wishes were respected. Who would protect him if I wasn't there.

After spending 4 months in hospital at one stage my husband begged me not to let him be hospitalised again, not to make him endure any invasive treatments purely to extend his life, and not to make him die in hospital.

I had several battles with medical staff, with one especially memorable occasion with an over zealous nurse in the nursing home who tried to have him hospitalised. This was despite it being stated quite clearly in his file that he did not want to be readmitted to hospital.

However, because I had a full Health and Welfare POA and also his Advance Directive countersigned and stamped by his solicitor I was able to ensure that my husbands wishes were adhered to.

It wasn't much but it was the least I could do.

Oh LL ... you say "it wasn't much" but it was as much as you could possibly do, and far more than many would have been able to do if they weren't as well prepared and willing to stand up so dilligently for their OH's rights and wishes. It sounds like you were amazing, and how great that the solicitors came through in what sounds like a very professional but also sensitive way. You're absolutely right that the real take-away advice here is to not leave anything to chance.
    :o I'm a tad embarrassed that we've been chancing it for so long.

So my advice is to think very carefully about going down the DIY route for Wills and POAs. You need them to be cast iron and bullet proof.

Unfortunately life can throw a curved ball, bad things can happen and you need to protect both yourselves and your loved ones.

Thanks so much for sharing these very personal insights LL, it's appreciated. SaR x
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I know my reply was a tad lengthy but what I went through was such a steep learning curve. If someone can benefit from my experience then all to the good.

And don't castigate yourself for not addressing these issues sooner.....you are doing it now that's what counts.

All I can say is just make sure that everything is down in black and white......signed, sealed and delivered as they say. :D
  • ShyAndRetiring
    Options
    :wave:

So, 1st August, the sunshine's back and the progress has started ...

* Spending

#1): No FleaBay spending - stayed well away today, nothing we need, so 1 / 31.

#2) No food budget spends today so £ 0 / £165 spent.
    Other actions to support this goal:
    * I've sorted out a spending diary and OH has got cash from the budget to use at the market on his way home from work in the morning. He has full instructions about bargain bowls :rotfl:
    * I cooked a 'double dinner' today - one to eat, one to freeze, so one less dinner to buy / prepare later in the month.
    * After work I also cooked 2 quiches, one to use for this weekend's visitors and one for freezer - all from ingredients we had, so happy with that.

* Saving

# 1) This week's £15 is still in my purse as I need to pop to town for meds tomorrow afternoon. Nothing put by into holiday treat fund yet, so £ 0 / £75.

# 2) Busy worky day so no start on this yet. Did think about looking at local FBook selling page tonight to see how busy it is, but would rather be on here :)
    So ISA saving £ 0 / £120.

* Sorting
    #1) OH has friend visiting this weekend, so I will cook the books on mid-term planning whilst they're hopefully catching us tea!

#2)
    * Phoned the solicitors who did our recent conveyancing for house move. I've used them across 7 different moves so I asked for a 'regular client' price for Mirror Wills for the 2 of us. £300 was quoted. Hmmm.
    * Have another quote of £165 from a legal firm but don't know them. More hmmm.
    :think: Think I'll research prices a little more and check out any charity Will offers - OH says he'd rather leave £200 to a charity for a 'free' will than pay £300.

:D Simple pleasures:
    - A juvenile heron landing at the very top of a Willow tree on our dog walk today. It was loud and disorganised in flight, hilariously buoyant at the top of the tree but just so beautiful!
    - Picking blueberries to put on my yoghurt for breakfast this morning.
    - Dressing up a bit for work today, rather than wearing the usual slurries. It helped me over the hump day, anyway!
    - Getting off to my bed ...

Sleep tight everyone, SaR x
  • humptydumptybits
    Options
    :wave: Hi Humpty & SavvySue

SaR x

We only live just over a mile from the beach, when I was younger we walked it but it is fine going, all downhill, but coming back up the hill with a buggy to push and a tired 4 year old is beyond me now. It is ridiculous what it costs. I sometimes think I'd like to set up a beach shop that did things like a small ice cream for little ones, at our beach the cheapest cone is £2.20 and a 2 year old or 4 year old won't eat it all so such a waste. I know they have to make a living but I'd rather buy them two little ones over the afternoon than one big one and throw half away.

If I ruled the world................. small icecreams would be the answer to everything.
  • thriftytracey
    thriftytracey Posts: 631 Forumite
    First Post Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 2 August 2018 at 2:05PM
    Options
    Hi S&R

Thanks for that. Mmmm, I think being pescetarian or vegetarian certainly reduces budgets and I now do 2 veggie meals a week), there are some delicious recipes out there. Also, total alcohol budget is about £17 a week. Veg stalls are great however there are no decent markets close by (other than expensive "Farmers markets"). Also, my weekly spend at German budget brother no. 1 supermarket often includes non food items. Clearly more analysis required!

You will have to give us your experiences of downsizing/moving later on. It is something we are considering doing maybe a year or so after retirement as we would also like to live nearer the coast as we are about as far away as you can get. Big step to take of course. Maybe a different thread or even a "sticky" topic. Obviously you already ave a lot on with this one!
  • bugslet
    bugslet Posts: 6,874 Forumite
    Options
    Been at home for a few days, internet free zone there, so catching up here. Can just imagine the ungainly heron:D

Hi S&R

I do feel though that women aged between 60/65 have drawn the short straw. I had always geared my plans to retire at 60, then they moved the goalpost to 65, now 66 in my case. My advice to anyone considering early retirement - just do it! Yes, by all means be sensible and do the number crunching, but don!!!8217;t by any means think it can!!!8217;t be done.

Loving this positive thread!!!55357;!!!56876;

I don't - and it is a personal feeling, so no right or wrong:D - but my goalposts moved from 60 -67 and who knows, may change to 68 before I get there (54 now). I always thought that pensions should be the same as mens and that it is illogical to think we can finance 20 years or state pension. I have no quibble with the changes.

Another one that will mention PoA - very handy should you ever require it, it's like having magic keys that open otherwise shut doors!

I think my last update was that I had told my customer that I was winding up the business:j, after nearly two months they have come back and said if they take out all the corporate rubbish, will I stay. Pretty please. I'm dithering.
  • crv1963
    crv1963 Posts: 1,372 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    bugslet wrote: »
    Been at home for a few days, internet free zone there, so catching up here. Can just imagine the ungainly heron:D

I think my last update was that I had told my customer that I was winding up the business:j, after nearly two months they have come back and said if they take out all the corporate rubbish, will I stay. Pretty please. I'm dithering.

Do what feels right for you, maybe give it a time limit? Take out the corporate rubbish, give it a year and if things haven't improved/ the bull**** creeps back in then wind it up?

I know from posts elsewhere you are concerned about the employees, maybe after a period of trying to meet the customer half way and if that doesn't work out tell them "I'm going, buy me out and put a manager in? Or maybe say to employees- I've had enough, do you collectively want to buy me out, I'll help with your business plan for the banks, or should I close down, sell up and retire?"

But whatever you decide have a timescale and a plan for when you go.

Can the business afford for you to put a manager in? Someone you can train up and then take a very much back seat, or do you need to be in control? (Not a criticism but an honest question, I had a boss who had to know the ins and outs of everything and no budgets could be touched without his approval! Made my roll at the time hell!)

Good luck with the thinking

CRV
    CRV1963- Light bulb moment Sept 15- Planning the great escape- aka retirement!
  • ShyAndRetiring
    Options
    Hi lovely visitors!
    I know my reply was a tad lengthy but what I went through was such a steep learning curve. If someone can benefit from my experience then all to the good.
    No worries about being a tad lengthy, it's all good advice and very welcome, thank you!

And don't castigate yourself for not addressing these issues sooner.....you are doing it now that's what counts.
    Yes, it's all moving forwards one way or another!

All I can say is just make sure that everything is down in black and white......signed, sealed and delivered as they say. :D
    Indeedy, thanks LL!
    Hi S&R

Thanks for that. Mmmm, I think being pescetarian or vegetarian certainly reduces budgets and I now do 2 veggie meals a week), there are some delicious recipes out there. Also, total alcohol budget is about £17 a week. Veg stalls are great however there are no decent markets close by (other than expensive "Farmers markets"). Also, my weekly spend at German budget brother no. 1 supermarket often includes non food items. Clearly more analysis required!

Hmm, sounds like you're on the right track for cutting things down a bit, a couple of veggie meals is a great start. We're definitely veggie-veggies, can't stand those products which are 'meatless whilst pretending to be meat, like veggie burgers, mince etc. Much prefer a plate full of vegetables! We probably spend similar, maybe a little less on alcohol, depends on the time of year. I'm trying to limit alcohol to weekends (Fri to Sun) and not during the week, for both health and financial benefits!

You will have to give us your experiences of downsizing/moving later on. It is something we are considering doing maybe a year or so after retirement as we would also like to live nearer the coast as we are about as far away as you can get. Big step to take of course. Maybe a different thread or even a "sticky" topic. Obviously you already ave a lot on with this one!

:D Indeed, ask away once the thoughts start heading towards being a plan! I can also recommend a lovely local coastline!
    We only live just over a mile from the beach, when I was younger we walked it but it is fine going, all downhill, but coming back up the hill with a buggy to push and a tired 4 year old is beyond me now.

Oh goodness, I quite understand why you take the car! Last thing you want is a trek up the hill after a hot, tiring day at the beach!

It is ridiculous what it costs. I sometimes think I'd like to set up a beach shop that did things like a small ice cream for little ones, at our beach the cheapest cone is £2.20 and a 2 year old or 4 year old won't eat it all so such a waste. I know they have to make a living but I'd rather buy them two little ones over the afternoon than one big one and throw half away.

Sounds like a great plan for a small business there, would be fun to be an ice-cream lady at the seaside, enjoying the fresh air and watching the kids having fun!

If I ruled the world................. small icecreams would be the answer to everything.

:T Go Humpty!
  • ShyAndRetiring
    Options
    Hi Bugslet,
    bugslet wrote: »

Yes, it was marvellous!

Another one that will mention PoA - very handy should you ever require it, it's like having magic keys that open otherwise shut doors!
    Appreciate that, it's on the list!

Ooooh, the plot thickens! Is taking out the corporate rubbish something that could make continuing tolerable for you?And are they likely to follow through and actually do it if they've promised you things will improve? Big decisions there, even on top of the time vs money questions of retirement! If you agree to stay, would you want to set a time limit on it, do you think? [ /QUOTE]
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport