The seller now wants more money

Comments

• AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    loskie wrote: »
    If the granddaughter does report you to the Police it is likely that she will be incriminating granny more than you.

Other way round, the op would be handling.
  • mollycat
    mollycat Posts: 1,475 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thank you all so much for your support, it has been really helpful. Anyway, I sent her this message and we will see what she does. Hi Donna, I have had a busy day looking into our dilemma and deciding what to do about your threat of going to the police to report the bike as stolen. My poor son has been worried sick and was afraid to go out on the bike until I had looked into it. I have now had legal advise (including a little from the police crime watch officer at Marks gate), that suggests that if what you say is true, and that your Nan knowingly sold your dad's property without the family consent and permission, (as both your Nan and Granddad clearly stated they had when I bought the bike), then the only person that has actually committed a "crime" that could be reported to the police, is, unfortunately, your poor 87 year old Nan? (apparently the log book signing doesn't matter as it just changes the keeper details and writing and signing on behalf of someone else isn't classed as "a crime") and we all know that the bike was not "stolen". Anyway, here are just a few of the many comments and responses I got when I asked for advice on the net. (attached) So, after much consideration, unfortunately, my position now is that until I hear from your legal representatives, I am just going to continue helping my son restore and repair his new bike. I would appreciate it if you would kindly refrain from contacting me yourself from now on, and leave it in the hands of our legal teams to sort it out. Bye for now, Yours regretfully, Eddy.

I honestly think the good advice given earlier in the thread to ignore/block etc was the better way to go.

You have now initiated correspondence, (of sorts), on the matter which is more likely to perpetuate the matter than simply ignoring would have done.

Hopefully I'm wrong and you hear no more of it. Good luck.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    If you believe the disabled son rides a 1200 bandit then best of luck to you.
    Not everybody disabled started their life with their disability.

Perhaps he didn't only ride the Bandit...?
  • Supersonos
    Supersonos Posts: 1,080 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    I bought a motorcycle cheaply from a nice old lady who's son had left it sitting in her garden for years. I made an offer, the old lady told me she would consult her family to check if the offer was acceptable, she said she had checked and that it was. Now, after I got the bike through the MOT without having to spend much, her granddaughter has contacted me saying she wants more money or the bike back and that the old lady never had the right to sell it to me, also, as the old lady and I both signed the V5 in the names of someone else, ( I signed it in my sons name as I was buying it for him, she signed it in her sons name as he is disabled and unable to deal with it himself), the granddaughter is also threatening to report the bike as stolen if I don't pay her more or give the bike back. I don't know where I stand ? Can someone please advise me what to do? Thank you.

I think the points here are that the old lady is the one who stole the bike. You legitimately purchased it for an agreed sum. The lady suggested to you she had the authority to sell it.

The granddaughter (I assume the daughter of the guy who used to own it) is admitting there was the intention to sell it - she's just not happy with the price - so she can't now claim you stole it.

Interesting that at no time you've mentioned the actual previous owner. Someone who doesn't own it sold it to you and someone else who doesn't own it is making threats. I'd say just ignore them or, if you want to be nice, offer it back to them for the £300 plus any costs you've incurred to date.
  • arcon5
    arcon5 Posts: 14,099 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Tell her you bought it fair and square and if it's reported stolen then you will consider her actions fraudulent and make your own police report.

Although I'd be surprised if the police did actually take it seriously.
  • wgl2014
    wgl2014 Posts: 1,144 Forumite
    Civil matter all day long.

Theft requires dishonesty as does handling stolen goods.

Agreeing to buy a bike at below market value is a long way from that!

If a relative reports the bike as stolen they will struggle to explain how the suspect now appears as the registered keeper and has the bike insured.

OP - sorry if I missed it but do you have a receipt for the sale?
  • foxy-stoat
    foxy-stoat Posts: 6,879 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Did she give you a receipt for the bike when you bought it?

That is the only legal document you need to prove who actually owns the bike.

If she didnt have "good title" then thats your only sticking point.
  • droopsnoot
    droopsnoot Posts: 1,758 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    mollycat wrote: »
    I honestly think the good advice given earlier in the thread to ignore/block etc was the better way to go.

Indeed, I think I'd have simply said to the granddaughter "I didn't buy the bike from you, if your grandmother has an issue then she needs to contact me and discuss it. I won't speak to anyone other than the person I did the deal with."
  • ttoli
    ttoli Posts: 825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 7 August 2018 at 1:52PM
    I think if the grandaughter phones the local police and reports it stolen, some civilian with no legal training may record the crime to be investigated. The bike will go on the PNC as stolen and the rider may get stopped, arrested and the bike seized.
    an LOS(Lost or Stolen) marker only goes on PNC once the registered keeper attends police station with copy of V5 and normally has to be within 24 hrs of reporting, as otherwise the system is left open for malicious reports, You'd be surprised just how many people phone up to report but can't be bothered to attend.and of course civilian call handlers are given legal training to enable them to do their job certainly for the MPS it was a month at Hendon and ongoing once on Borough.
  • AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    ttoli wrote: »
    an LOS(Lost or Stolen) marker only goes on PNC once the registered keeper attends police station with copy of V5 and normally has to be within 24 hrs of reporting, as otherwise the system is left open for malicious reports, You'd be surprised just how many people phone up to report but can't be bothered to attend.and of course civilian call handlers are given legal training to enable them to do their job certainly for the MPS it was a month at Hendon and ongoing once on Borough.

No it doesn't it goes on once the crime is raised.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure