Dusty's Frugal Fortnights

Comments

• redofromstart
    redofromstart Posts: 4,163 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    I love vintage crime, its great that so many have been re-released as e-books in recent years. Keeps me occupied.

Not sure on the cous cous, but there is a good guide on the RSPB here: https://www.rspb.org.uk/birds-and-wildlife/advice/how-you-can-help-birds/feeding-birds/safe-food-for-birds
  • dustydigger
    dustydigger Posts: 1,508 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 3 March 2018 at 9:50PM
    I love vintage crime, its great that so many have been re-released as e-books in recent years. Keeps me occupied.

Not sure on the cous cous, but there is a good guide on the RSPB here: https://www.rspb.org.uk/birds-and-wildlife/advice/how-you-can-help-birds/feeding-birds/safe-food-for-birds

thanks for the bird info,very helpful . It seems cooked couscous are fine,but dry porridge oats are apparently very acceptable,as long as they are dry,which is a problem at the moment as ,surprise surprise,it is snowing yet again! :rotfl: But I'll keep it in mind for the future

I like vintage crime because,unlike modern crime for the most part,it is free of graphic sex,profanity and violence.I have dropped off reading most modern stuff because of such issues. Something about the modern style,the heroes who are more often as bad as the criminals,with dysfunction lives.> I still like ''white hat'' heroes,good guys,with morals and principles,and that is so out of fashion these days.:rotfl:
    This is my list of vintage crime from a challenge I am doing on Librarything,probably you will recognize at least some of the authors.:):)
    Vintage Crime
    1. Margery Allingham - The China Governess ( Albert Campion)
    2. Earl Derr Biggers - The Chinese Parrot (Charlie Chan)
    3. John Dickson Carr - The Four False Weapons
    4. Michael Innes - Hare Sitting Up (Inspector Appleby)
    5. Gladys Mitchell - Come Away Death (Mrs Bradley)-read
    6. Ngaio Marsh - Overture to Death (Inspector Alleyn)
    7. Ellery Queen - The Tragedy of Y-read
    8. Craig Rice - Home Sweet Homicide-read
    9. Rex Stout - Too Many Cooks (Nero Wolfe)
    10. Arthur Upfield - No Footprints in the Bush(Boney)
    11. S S Van Dine - Scarab Murder Case
    12. Robert Van Gulik - Chinese Nail Murders (Judge Dee)
  • lonelyrat
    lonelyrat Posts: 567 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    I've not seen any birds outside ours in a few days ... think they flew south before the snow hit :rotfl: Just kidding, I'm sure they're here somewhere just tucked away together in hiding.

I've never read any Vintage crime books I don't think. I do love a good read though so do you have a favourite to suggest at all?
    Total Debt : ?? / ??
  • lonelyrat
    lonelyrat Posts: 567 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    Or just a favourite author to check out? I realised after posting that that it was a very difficult question to answer. I couldn't name a favourite book if someone asked me I don't think!
    Total Debt : ?? / ??
  • dustydigger
    edited 1 March 2018 at 3:35PM
    beanielou wrote: »
    Fabarooni news on being debt free.
    Be proud :grin:
    beanielou wrote: »
    Baby steps are good :)
    Great savings :j :j

''fabarooni,''huh?:rotfl:;);)

I know you are a crime fiction fan,and saw you recommending Scottish writers to someone on anotherthread,Ian Rankin,Quintin Jardine and William McIlvanney. Read dozens of books by them,also dozens by Val McDermid,Denise Mina,Lin Anderson,Stuart MacBride,Alex Gray,Alexander McCall Smith,and Josephine Tey. Wow,impressive list,isnt it?I know there is a fashion for nordic crime these days,but they always seem so dark and downbeat,nor my cup of tea really. Humour seems almost totally unknown. No so with the Scots:j
    The library at this very minute has Jardine's Big Bob Skinner's 28th outing,''State Secrets'' reserved for me,and I cant get to the library to get it :mad: No problem,the girls all know me,they'll keep it for me till I get there,hopefully next week!
  • redofromstart
    I've read (regularly) all of the Allingham and Marsh ones.I also like Patricia Wentworth, Dorothy Sayers and Agatha Christie for the reasons you say. The Georgette Heyer crime ones are good too.

Josephine Tey wrote some great books. I'd struggle to pick my favourite of hers too.

lonelyrat I don't think I could pin it down to one either, every now and then I try and do a top ten of books but really struggle. I'm a Terry Pratchett fan and he would be in my top authors but not necessarily in my top ten books.
  • Sayschezza
    Sayschezza Posts: 744 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Try Ann Granger for modern crime. My very favourite author. The Mitchell and Markby series are good.
    All that clutter used to be money
  • redofromstart
    Sayschezza wrote: »
    Try Ann Granger for modern crime. My very favourite author. The Mitchell and Markby series are good.

Thanks, I've sent a sample chapter to the kindle.
  • dustydigger
    edited 30 April 2018 at 4:44PM
    :hello: Hi people just popped in to show I am alive!Glad to say the pain is going from the ear,and certainly there is less pain in the mouth so hopefully I'll get back to eating proper food by tomorrow! lol. I am definitely moving carefully keeping my head level where possible to avoid setting off the vertigo dizziness,I felt rather poorly last night but not too bad today,so I think the infection is on the mend and I may avoid a really nasty dose of the vertigo,perhaps only a couple of days. I have had horrible attacks in the past that went on for many days its ghastly.
    I remember a neighbour telling me once that she was innocently eating a meal,stood up too quickly afterwards and set it off. She fell back in her chair and it was so bad that she didnt dare move an inch. She lived on her own so no-one was there to help her - so she sat in that chair gripping the arms - for TWENTY FOUR HOURS.Poor thing.
  • dustydigger
    My daughter was 39 today,and intends to stay that age for a decade at least! :)
    It was wonderful to the tribe after a whole week all alone. My son got back safely,my daughters managed to get time off or to work from home but my poor granddaughter had used up all her lieu days and had to go to work all week. A 5 mile bus trip to the town, then 30 mins by train to the city then another bus from there! All in 40 mph freezing winds.:eek:Tough kid just shrugged it off,it would have killed me:D
    Weather improving,its 34 degrees,and the snow is melting rapidly. Its so unpredictable. Last month we had one mere 3 inches snowfall,and it took best part of a week to go. Now I can already see my bluebell stalk tips,maybe an inch showing,yesterday they were totally hidden by the snow,so at least 3 of the 8 inches has gone in half a day!
    We are having the really strong spring tides at the moment the waves are immense. My little town is well known for the huge waves that crash onto the stubborn little lighthouse which has withstood horrendous storms since 1905. Its 35 feet high but the waves are gargantuan,towering over it.. Wish I could work out how to show you pics,(I am so not technical!) but if you go to google images and type in ''Seaham lighthouse'' you will see some really awesome pics of the waves which batter our stretch of coast.:)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure