Things You Never Thought You Could Sell

Comments

• I sold 3x £2 off vouchers for Pampers - Got a few in the post when my daughter was born - in those Bounty packs etc but I really didn't rate Pampers, decided to stick with good old Tescos and put the vouchers on ebay - sold for £4.90 and I was going to throw them in the bin!!!

JOjo
  • Gemmzie wrote:
    Sorry, but I think selling things which are broken beyond repair is a bit disgusting.

Broken but hassle to fix, fine, some people make a hobby of it.

But just plain broken is unfair.

Think how many kids or older people or the techno phobic have by accident bought something that you sold because it's broken.

I dont really agree, most older people, technophobes and kids (if theyre using ebay in the first place) can still read.
    If you list something, clearly stating, as the people on here have said theyve done, that the item is broken, then its up to the buyer whether they want to bid or not.

Anyway, my experience with selling, what i thought to be unsellable, stuff was only little, a couple of months i bought a second hand scrabble set from a car boot because i wanted to use the letters for crafts and wasnt prepared to pay a fiver or whatever for the sets of scrabble looking letters that craft companies sell.
    So i had the board and letter holders left over and put the board on ebay, suggesting in my listing that it might be good if you had damaged your own board or some such rubbish and i got about 4 or 5 bids and sold it for £1.45 (not inc postage)! I might try the letter holders next time, you never know I guess!
    Reclaiming for family and friends. Won 4/13 so far
    HSBC CC - £263.25, Halifax CC - £179.45, HFC PPI - £589.00, HSBC PPI - £498.86, Lloyds PPI 1 - £400
  • roswell
    roswell Posts: 2,447 Forumite
    Gemmzie wrote:
    Sorry, but I think selling things which are broken beyond repair is a bit disgusting.

Broken but hassle to fix, fine, some people make a hobby of it.

But just plain broken is unfair.

Think how many kids or older people or the techno phobic have by accident bought something that you sold because it's broken.

no one makes a buyer bid as long as the item is listed accurately with images theres no one forcing anyone to bid, in the example of the phone i sold it was started at 99p just because it went for £50 shows there was more than the winner bidding.
    If it doesnt pay rent sell it.
    Mortgage - £2,000
    Updated - November 2012
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,910
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I dont really agree, most older people, technophobes and kids (if theyre using ebay in the first place) can still read.
    If you list something, clearly stating, as the people on here have said theyve done, that the item is broken, then its up to the buyer whether they want to bid or not.

Anyway, my experience with selling, what i thought to be unsellable, stuff was only little, a couple of months i bought a second hand scrabble set from a car boot because i wanted to use the letters for crafts and wasnt prepared to pay a fiver or whatever for the sets of scrabble looking letters that craft companies sell.
    So i had the board and letter holders left over and put the board on ebay, suggesting in my listing that it might be good if you had damaged your own board or some such rubbish and i got about 4 or 5 bids and sold it for £1.45 (not inc postage)! I might try the letter holders next time, you never know I guess!

Exactly. Who mentioned broken beyond repair anyway? Both the laptops I've seen listed are clearly listed as faulty with long descriptions of what the known or guessed at problems are. Mine will be as accurate as I can make it, if people don't want to bid they won't.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• Purpleroses
    Purpleroses Posts: 4,125
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    I agree with you xxisabellexx i've only ever sold 1 broken item but clearly stated it was broken but it could be repaired. Someone would have no morals to sell an item thats broken and not mention it.

Oh also a while ago i sold a small Agent Provocateur carrier bag for £6 and a smallish LaSenza bag for £4.
  • This is not that exotic, but I once sold a brand new issue of SFX magazine for £80.......to someone in this country! It was a subscriber copy, so it had no text on the cover, just a picture of Spike from Buffy and Angel, think the person was a big Spike fan! £80 for a £3 magazine seemed pretty good!
  • How many of you have diet books that you gave up with like Weight Watchers, Slimmimng World etc? They fetch really good money on Ebay, even if they have been written in!
    Real men never follow instructions; after all they are just the manufacturer's opinion on how to put something together. :p
  • painted_lady
    painted_lady Posts: 1,020
    First Post
    Forumite
    Loving this thread as I am a total ebay addict, for buying and selling.
    - I sold a camera lens we got free to a guy in Japan for £82, it was worth nothing and cost us nothing, but had a bidding war on. We almost didnt list it and started bidding at 99p.
    - I just sold my dads landrover, which was basically a shell for £1000. Obviously, I clearly stated it was a shell and afew other parts, needed towing away. The buyer came to look at it first and he was more than happy to give us £1000. Thought he had a bargain, poor !!!!!!.
    - I have both bought and sold damaged ipods (I try to fix them and sell them on, but if one is beyond repair, I sell it on as so) and have bought and sold them damaged for £50, although £25 - £30 is usual.
    -I sold my new york holiday prints for up to £8 each. Just a photograph at end of the day.
    - Have regularly bulk bought items from the "wholesale and job lots" category and relisted items individually for profit. Often people just dont have the time to list everything seperately.
  • tsharp
    tsharp Posts: 1,532 Forumite
    -I sold my new york holiday prints for up to £8 each. Just a photograph at end of the day.

What format did you sell the images in? Did you print them out on glossy paper and blow them up etc? I have some great ones of Prague and Paris etc.
    "I have enough money to last me the rest of my life, unless I buy something."
  • Two9A
    Two9A Posts: 274 Forumite
    This thread has reminded me; I've got a fair bit of tech stuff which I don't use any more (but is still working!), which would probably fetch more money on eBay than sitting around gathering dust.

Time to list a coupla things, I think :p
    Debts (26.3% remaining) - CC/BARC: [strike]2058[/strike] 100.00 @0%; CC/MBNA: [strike]1877.75[/strike] 0.00; Loan/SLC: [strike]10000[/strike] 7901.84 @1.5%; Loan/Per: [strike]1500[/strike] 0.00; Loan/HX: [strike]15000[/strike] 0.00
    Mortgages (94.7% remaining) -
    NW: [strike]92516.94[/strike] 87565.40 @3.19%; HBOS: [strike]65599.57[/strike] 59106.45 @4%, [strike]69251.57[/strike] 68589.97 @3.49%
    Total amount of fail: Dangerous (223263.66)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback