MONEY MORAL DILEMMA: Should Richard have a ring of truth?

Comments

• MisterD
    MisterD Posts: 13 Forumite
    ..you guys should know about the fallacy of trying to keep the ring.

You have read the Lord Of the Rings haven't you? Or seen the films?

Either way, you know you can't keep the ring.

Or can you...

...My Precious!
  • mindi_007
    mindi_007 Posts: 15 Forumite
    all the cousins agreed to go through it, taking any mementos they wanted.

With this agreement in mind and if the ring is to be kept for his daughter I can't see why everything needs to be brought into the open.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you have." Mark Twain
  • Richard should keep the ring and not sell it. He should pass it down the family as a family heirloom
  • macaroni
    macaroni Posts: 447
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Keep it, if the agreement was to take what they wanted and sell/clear/bin the rest then its fair
    :hello:
  • 3plus1
    3plus1 Posts: 821 Forumite
    I would say keep the ring.

Richard has chosen the ring to give to his daughter as a keepsake of her gran, he hasn't taken it to sell. The ring is not valuable because it could be sold for £8,000; it's valuable because it belonged to a special lady and brings back memories of her. If he sells the ring and splits the proceeds, what is there to give to to the daughter? She could take her share of the £8,000 and buy some new clothes for herself, but she'd wear them, throw them out when they got holes in them, and there would be nothing permanent left to remind her of her gran.

The ring is priceless for personal reasons. Selling it would be stupid.
  • Firstly I don't think the wealth of the cousins has anything to do with wat action Richard should take as regards the ring.

However If I were Richard then I wouldn't say anything either and would give it to my daughter when she was mature enough to appreciate the ring and its value.
    2014 Target;
    To overpay CC by £1,000.
    Overpayment to date : £310

2nd Purse Challenge:
    £15.88 saved to date
  • All the cousins had the oppourtunity to take mementoes from the house prior to the sale and sharing of profits. Providing there was no argument about who wanted the ring in the first place then Richard should have no qualms about keeping the ring. For all he knows the rich cousins may have taken something valuable themselves. Dont see there is anything to feel guilty about, he did not sneak the ring out, it was all above board.
  • haziec
    haziec Posts: 379 Forumite
    I would be honest with the cousins, but after a proper valuation of the ring, if the daughter is going to keep it, they should be happy about that. But if its to be sold then the profit should be shared. But as some people have pointed out, among all the stuff thats been shared, there could be some valuable stuff, that should be valued too.
    Shame that the lady didnt will some of her valuable jewellery to save this problem. Having just dealt with our future son in laws fathers estate (died without a will), I would URGE everybody to make one!
  • He should admit the value to the rest of his family. Eventually the truth is bound to come out and people will be left feeling hurt and angry (I'm sure most of the people who have suggested keeping it would be miffed if it happened to them). It should be a joint decision by all as to whether the ring should be sold or not, I'm sure his daughter will survive without it if they decide to sell it, perhaps they could buy her a replacement with some of the proceeds??:A
  • pjala
    pjala Posts: 420
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    They are your relations, it is thoroughly mean spirited not to tell them.
    It will live on his conscience until he finally outs it, so it would be silly for his own peace of mind not to declare it, and then forgo that much of his inheritance.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure