PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Wheat free recipes and ideas

Options

Comments

• DM77
    DM77 Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    I have been wheat free for 3 years now and have a really varied and interesting diet. I find that Tesco's FreeFrom range in the larger stores is excellent. I buy wheat free pasta, chocolate cake (which is also dairy free), cheese crackers, dry spagetti and many more things. We eat rice and oat cakes too. My girlfriend is dairy free (cows milk specifically) and swears by So Good soya milk which she has everyday on cereal. We make pies and cakes with rice flour but I buy Terence Stamp bread (£1.49 from Tesco) at the moment. The health food shop sell a great gluten and wheat free meusli from the Health Store (have their address), £3.35 a kilo. Another place to try is wheatanddairyfree.com for larger orders to make the carriage viable.

We find eating at home easy now thanks to Tesco's range and the fact that we don't cook any pre-packed food really. Going out is the hardest thing so we often take lunch with us!
  • jomary85
    jomary85 Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    Some useful links http://www.wheat-free.co.uk/

oat pancakes i use- 2oz fine oat meal/oat flour 8 fl oz any milk not water 1 egg. Boil milk whilst mixing oats in a bowl to a smooth paste with an extra tablespoon or so of cold milk. Stir in the boiling & mix well. leave to thicken (at least 20 mins) beat in the egg. This is MUCH stiffer than ordinary pancake batter otherwise it breaks up. Fry as usual . This makes 2 large 8" pancakes that are twice as thick as normal. Fill with savoury or sweet.
    I find that i can use most normal recipes by substituting equal quantities of a heavy flour e.g. rye or rice and a light flour e.g. potato or cornflour and if needed use gluten free baking powder in the Supercook range .
    Non what pasta is Ok not necessarily with a sauce just mis with chopeed fried courgeettes, tomato, kidney beans etc
    Home made up oat bread. 10 oz fine oat flour2 teaspoons baking powder, 8 fl oz any milk and 20 ml of cooking oil. put in 1 lb greased loaf tin and cook 40 mins reg 6 its a bit tacky but quite OK
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If you use glutafin select bread mix in your bread machine you get perfect gluten free and wheat free bread. My daughter is Coeliac and loves this bread. ;)
  • jomary85
    jomary85 Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    Ryvita original are wheat free also Tracker biscuits- obviously not gluten free
  • ocemeer
    ocemeer Posts: 414 Forumite
    Options
    My mum has been on a wheat free diet for years will bend her ear for a few recipes.
    I know she has a chocloate cake recipe to die for (and for the sceptics you would not know it was gluten free but i swear it is)
    will post it soon as i find it
  • savvy
    savvy Posts: 31,128 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Just found a wheat free recipe in the Spring/Summer edition of grapevine (Julian Graves shops).

Orange Crusted Polenta Cake;

225g unsalted softened butter
    225g caster sugar
    3 beaten medium eggs
    1/2 tsp vanilla extract
    225g ground almonds
    2 large oranges, zest and juice
    115g polenta
    1sp baking powder

Orange Crust;
    juice of 1 large orange
    3 tbsp caster sugar
    icing sugar for dusting

Preheat oven to 160C/gas 3. Lightly grease and flour 25.5cm spring form cake tin.
    Place butter and sugar into a large bowl, beat with electric whisk til pale and creamy. Gradually add eggs, whisking constantly and stir in vanilla. Using a large metal spoon, fold in the ground almonds, orange zest, juice, polenta and baking powder. Spoon into the tin and level the top. Bake for approximately 1 hour 10 minutes or until golden and just firm.

For the crust, put orange juice and sugar in small bowl and mix well. Remove cake from oven and with a skewer, !!!!!! over the surface of the cake. Spoon over the orange crust mixture and leave to cool in tin for 20 minutes.

Remove from tin and dust lightly with icing sugar.
    Honorary Northern Bird bestowed by Anselm
    I'm a Board Guide and volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly on Special Occasions, Green/Ethical, Motoring/Overseas/UK Travel & Flood boards, it's not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Report inappropriate or illegal posts to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Views are MINE & not official MSE ones ;)
  • sd8974
    sd8974 Posts: 65 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I know some other coeliacs have already posted on here, but no-one seems to have asked those who are "wheat-free" if they have been tested for coeliac disease...

If you haven't, then you should definitely consider medical diagnosis [through a doctor - not at some health food shop] as not only are there many long-term health benefits at properly diagnosing the condition, but you can also get as many basic gluten free products [such as flour/bread mixes, loaves, biscuits, pizza bases AND Xanthan gum] on prescription [~£90 a year] as you need.
  • savvy
    Options
    True sd8974, I went through rigorous unpleasant coeliac testing a few years ago and they told me then I had a wheat intolerence. BUT never gave me any info or help and I went away relieved that it wasn't coeliac disease like my aunt has.

However I've been to 2 nutrionists since and had a food intolerance test done and it's there again. Fortunately I now recognise the problem I have and am desperately trying to wean myself off it icon11.gif
    I'm a Board Guide and volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly on Special Occasions, Green/Ethical, Motoring/Overseas/UK Travel & Flood boards, it's not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Report inappropriate or illegal posts to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Views are MINE & not official MSE ones ;)
  • sd8974
    sd8974 Posts: 65 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    So you had the blood test and biopsy? You need both before being sure - I had a negative blood test, but a positive biopsy - the biopsy being the so-called "gold standard" test.

On another note, have they changed the description for "5 star" members, or did you do that yourself?
  • savvy
    Options
    Hmmm don't remember the biopsy, I'm sure those I'd had taken were for something else back then, blood was at the doctors, and I also had an endoscopy icon11.gif and a horrible gastroscopy icon9.gif done at the hospital.

Ermm nope not changed the rating, it does it itself icon12.gif
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure