Blogging for a second income - does anyone else here do this?

Comments

• boo80 wrote: »
    How do you go about making money on it? THANK YOU!!

Sign up for Adsense https://www.google.com/adsense/ and/or sign up for some affiliate networks and find programs related to you site. Or you could try buysellads.com
    "The happiest of people don't necessarily have the
    best of everything; they just make the best
    of everything that comes along their way."
    -- Author Unknown --
  • jdan9
    jdan9 Posts: 674 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Out of curiosity, would anybody here read a blog about basic law aimed at the average man on the street? I've been thinking about starting such a blog for a while - I'm a law student at a redbrick uni and am considering blogging basically the stuff I learn in lectures each week, primarily as a way of helping me consolidate what I've learnt, for my own benefit. Although making money out of it wouldn't be bad too! :P

Would anybody read such a blog?
    Dan
  • Fruitloops
    Fruitloops Posts: 882 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I've heard of something called 'pinging' your blog when there's new content, which is apparently some form of marketing it?!? I have no idea what this is; can any of you bloggers tell me? :D

Out of my mind. Back in five minutes.
  • competitionscafe
    competitionscafe Posts: 4,050 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 1 May 2009 at 6:26PM
    Fruitloops wrote: »
    I've heard of something called 'pinging' your blog when there's new content, which is apparently some form of marketing it?!? I have no idea what this is; can any of you bloggers tell me? :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ping_(blogging) ;)

You can use http://pingomatic.com/ to 'ping' your blog.
    "The happiest of people don't necessarily have the
    best of everything; they just make the best
    of everything that comes along their way."
    -- Author Unknown --
  • GavB79
    GavB79 Posts: 751 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    jdan9 wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, would anybody here read a blog about basic law aimed at the average man on the street? I've been thinking about starting such a blog for a while - I'm a law student at a redbrick uni and am considering blogging basically the stuff I learn in lectures each week, primarily as a way of helping me consolidate what I've learnt, for my own benefit. Although making money out of it wouldn't be bad too! :P

Would anybody read such a blog?

You'd have to make certain a disclaimer was prominently displayed if your posts could be interpreted as legal advice! Law advertising pays highly though (many broke solicitors about?!) so with interesting content garnering a good reader base you could earn quite a bit with a good click-through-rate (the number of visitors who click on the ads to the legal firms for example).

If you market any blog well enough you will always get some traffic, but in this instance you're competing with well-known, well-established free sites like CAB, ConsumerDirect etc.
  • jdan9
    jdan9 Posts: 674 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    GavB79 wrote: »
    You'd have to make certain a disclaimer was prominently displayed if your posts could be interpreted as legal advice!

Obviously that goes without saying!
    GavB79 wrote: »
    If you market any blog well enough you will always get some traffic, but in this instance you're competing with well-known, well-established free sites like CAB, ConsumerDirect etc.

I was thinking more a general-interest blog aimed at people who are just interested in knowing a little generally about the law, rather than sites aimed at providing advice in specific situations, as I believe those other sites do.
    Dan
  • marvalous
    marvalous Posts: 115 Forumite
    hi there

Your post has been really useful as this is something that I am looking into myself.Thanks for the tips.
    Newbie Debt Ninja
  • scoodies
    scoodies Posts: 69 Forumite
    Hi There!

I set up my own blog back in March but nobody has visited :confused:

I'm not sure how I go about advertising it or how to get people to check my site out??! :rolleyes:

Scoodies xx
    PAYDBX17 #29 £760.19/10000 :j
  • emmaglet
    emmaglet Posts: 1,291 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    This thread is really informative, thank you so much for this information!

I am sure I will be back with more questions soon! I bought my domain name a few weeks ago and I am just tweaking the theme before I "launch" so no doubt will have some things cropping up.
    I like to make money
    Best wins: £3,000 luxury holiday, holiday in Cornwall, £250 Murad Skincare hamper, angle grinder

:j Make £10 a day challenger - it pays for trips to Florida! :j
  • tiff
    tiff Posts: 6,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Savvy Shopper!
    scoodies wrote: »
    Hi There!

I set up my own blog back in March but nobody has visited :confused:

I'm not sure how I go about advertising it or how to get people to check my site out??! :rolleyes:

Scoodies xx

One way is to put links to other blogs you read, on your blog. The owners will then come to read yours and some will put a link to your blog on theirs.
    “A budget is telling your money where to go instead of wondering where it went.” - Dave Ramsey
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure