Great ‘best value restaurant food’ Hunt

Comments

• MimiJane
    MimiJane Posts: 7,963 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Surprised no-one's mentioned Harvester Restaurants (Early Bird deal). Not carveries as such, but lots of tasty chicken/steak/pasta meals and a salad bar included which you can return to as many times as you want and which includes pasta, potatoes and bread rolls.

If you eat there before 6.30pm. any day of the week, the main meals are £4.99 or £5.99 (including salad). You can also download a coupon from their website for a free ice-cream sundae and they do special deals for kids.

We go there often icon12.gif
    Wins since 2009 = £17,600

MANY THANKS TO ALL OPS
  • mancmum
    mancmum Posts: 85 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Kebabish: Wilmslow Road and in CHeetham Hill. Sit down inside £1.25 for two samosas, salad and tapwater - nice lunch. Good in evening.

Jaffa Wilmslow Road Rusholme. Almost impossible to spend more than £3.50 per head. V Good vegi mezze.

Arndale Market - Chinese in food court cold soya chicken with hot steamed rice about 3.50 - 4.00

Soap Street Manchester, just of High Street. This and That curry caff the most wonderful homecooked curries. Which might be about £4.00 now.

We've gone to a restaurant we like just for pudding when we know they are quiet and won't turn business away. You get the atomosphere but not the mega bill.

Agree with previous poster about Umani.

But sometimes I think you should look at what is really easy to cook and compare that to the price of eating out or a takeaway. Rump good quality steak from the farmers market can feed four of us for less than the cost of one person's takeaway.

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]
  • I lot of the canteen style asian restaurants round the northern quarter in Manchester do the 3/4 curries and rice for £4 offer, this and that, Yaadgar cafe and Kabana are probably the most popular
    2p off is still 2p off!
  • The Piccadilly in central Manchester is still doing their 2 for £5 on pub lunch meals, and I personally think they're not bad. Smothered chicken is the best.
    Kebabish is also delish, and there are plenty of all-you-can-eat Chinese places around (AYCE lunches for £5 usually).
    fatboyonadiet - those places are brill :-)
    "We, the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have been doing so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing."
    - Konstantin Josef Jireček
  • nicksh
    nicksh Posts: 21 Forumite
    Tayyabs in Whitechapel www.tayyabs.co.uk
    Brilliant halal food at takeaway prices, about £10-15 a head maximum. Really good lamb dishes. BYO booze saves a bit too. Massive queues at busy weekday evenings though.
  • Great value lunches, Tuesday to Saturday - 2 courses for £6.99 and an extra course for £3.00. Includes fresh bread!

Freshly cooked, locally sourced food and linen napkins! But you need to book!
    www.thecowshedrestaurant.co.uk
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,314 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    viktory wrote: »
    Toby Carvery are not bad although they are always heaving. At the moment they are doing a carvery meal and ice cream sundae for £4.90. Considering you can go back for more veg that is a very good offer.

I love eating out and whilst I know that is is going to cost more than eating at home in my opinion you cannot beat a well cooked meal, waiter service and no washing up!

I'll cast another vote for Toby carvery. Unfortunately there isn't one near where we live, but we usually take my father-in-law out to the one near him when we visit. Great food & great value.
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £345
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • If you go for the pre-theatre menu (i think you have to order before 6 or 6.30 as they close around 8pm) you get 3 courses for around £9, total bargain! Choice for starter is limited and pudding is just the one option but you can choose from a range of main courses (vegetarian included) - plus you can bring your own drink, woohoo!
  • sillycat wrote: »
    If you are prepared to be seated by 6.30 p.m., Brewers Fayre Restaurants offer 2 meals for £9 from a limited number of main menu items, and the quality and service at our local BF (Epsom) is excellent for the money.

I was going to say this too but you beat me to it :D Here's a list of the things you can have in the offer: http://www.brewersfayre.co.uk/food/ I can recommend the Smothered Chicken (normally £7.99 each but can get 2 for £9). If you don't like barbecue sauce they will leave it off altogether for you, or put it in a dish on the side. They also do kids meal deals - £4.50 for main/dessert for older children, £3.50 for younger ones.

Our local Brewers Fayre is very good, the food is much better than several Wetherspoons we've tried in the area (Wetherspoons never seem to be able to do warm food!). Don't forget your Nectar card if you go to BF - you can collect points there and they very often send you extra points vouchers in the post.
  • wattc
    wattc Posts: 108 Forumite
    And let's not forget the London institution of cheap chow - The Stockpot.

http://www.timeout.com/london/restaurants/reviews/330.html

As it says in the review "Little costs over £5, and you can get two courses and a small beaker of red wine for less than a tenner."

Pretty impressive prices for central London.

Usually it's busy and as the tables are close to each other, you often find yourself striking up conversation with the next table easily.

It's a sort of home cooked experience, great if you are hungry and broke!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure