20/20 Vision (repaying a debt to my home and myself)

Comments

• Have I missed something on your diary ? What happened with the sabbatical?

Hope your ok ?
    Glad you asked Cumbria. I was also wondering
    Sorry for the confusion. Work said no! I posted a really long, whining post but then thought I was being pathetic so I took it down.
    Abba they said the service delivery would be affected and we were a small team. This is despite it saying in the policies that you could take a 3 month sabbatical after 5 years service! I don't want to behave like a spoilt child but to say I am disappointed is an understatement.
    In addition I sometimes think the universe throws you a curved ball so I am positioning myself to make an amazing catch. I'll be back when I get my head straight. As I get older I am learning not to react so at work I said 'That's a shame. Okay, thanks.'
    Thanks for asking.
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    Oh DIA you are allowed to moan if you want it's your diary. I am hugely disappointed for you . Can the opportunity be done in 3 months ?
  • Sorry to hear that DIA. Do you mean they said no to six months, or no altogether?
    Debt free May 2016... DFW#2 in progress
    Campervan paid off summer '21... MFW progress tbc
  • Rosa and Cumbria, thank you for posting :)

Work is saying no to six months. They will think about what they can do but they are not agreeing three months either. I’ve left it with them.

I do know I can’t let this opportunity pass me by.

The plasterer has just left. I got a good vibe. I let him into my extremely messy kitchen and I did not care. A job on my stairs I have been worried about he explained and it is nothing major after all. :) It was worth him coming just to have that clarified.

I am starting to think about what I want to do about work. I am seriously considering taking a leap into the unknown. I am pretty sure I will be able to find a new income stream when the year is up and perhaps this is the push I need.

I have enough income for six months and If I don’t have a new kitchen I have enough money to keep me going for a year without accumulating debt or a drop in income. I am debt and mortgage free so in many ways this is the best time for me to do this. ;)

I can plaster the kitchen and paint it so the new buyers can imagine their new kitchen in the space.

Whatever happens I am beginning to plan an exit strategy and squirrel away as much money as I can.

A whole year to complete a creative project, get fit, eat healthy food and get the work done on my home.

I am either in the middle of a mid life crisis or I am having a mid life breakthrough. Time will tell.
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • abba1772
    abba1772 Posts: 7,746
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Car Insurance Carver!
    Forumite
    I love the term mid life breakthrough.......life is short so good luck in your decision xx
    NEXT TARGET: Halifax credit card DEC 22 £0 / £4499.12
    POAMAYC 2011 £6378.35 POAMAYC 2012 £5000.78
    POAMAYC 2013 £3480.04 POAMAYC 2014 £4085.14
    POAMAYC 2015 £7565.24 POAMAYC 2016 £8000.90 POAMAYC 2017 £7278.80 POAMAYC 2018 £13208.18POAMAYC 2019 £13309.28 POAMAYC 2020 £15026.05
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 89,805
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Ambassador
    abba1772 wrote: »
    I love the term mid life breakthrough.......life is short so good luck in your decision xx

From me too :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Homegrown0
    Homegrown0 Posts: 1,280
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Wow, what have I missed? A lot apparently!

I think you're looking at this with a great frame of mind DIA - as you say, thinking negatively about the situation and your employer isn't going to change anything so I think it's good you're trying to have a positive outlook and work with what you have.

To be honest, you've never seemed to be happy in your job in the whole time I've been reading your diaries so unless financial, there doesn't seem to be many reasons for you to stay. Your employer will find out the hard way that by not accommodating a well-needed sabbatical (that they in fact offer!), they are actually losing an employee as a result.

If you can squirrel away the cash to cover you for a whole year then I say do it! Get out of there and get your creative mojo back! As you say, you have a skill and experience so you shouldn't have a shortage of job offers when the time comes to get back into the world of work.

Full support from me, as always, and feel free to air your concerns/ pros and cons on here and we can be a sounding board.

I think you're a brave person and you deserve to be happy in what you do.
    Sealed Pot Challenge 075
    Pay off by Xmas 2019 #02 - target £10,000
  • Fortune favours the brave is a cliche for a reason
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83:eek: today £0 Emergency fund £5.5/5.5k & £200/200 cash.:jWeight 24/02/19 14st 7lb now 11st 9lb determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes. Progress not perfection.:T100%through my 1% mortgage challenge. 30.15% through my pb challenge.
  • DIA that's a wonderful post - totally inspirational.

We've discussed before whether you really need a new kitchen to sell and this sounds like a really good compromise to me. I have been spending time on my house this week and wishing that the basics were done properly so I wasn't having to fix holes in plaster and could just paint etc. So long as the place is livable and looks clean buyers will be ok with being able to add to it themselves.

I love the breakthrough idea too as I am working through things myself recently and finding that changes have happened and more need to be made. I will be keeping that word in mind. And totally agree, you shouldn't let an amazing opportunity slip by. You have already proved with your tutoring that you have alternative income options and as you say, you've made yourself a situation where you can do what brings you joy now :)

Rosa xx
    Debt free May 2016... DFW#2 in progress
    Campervan paid off summer '21... MFW progress tbc
  • doingitanyway
    doingitanyway Posts: 8,651
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    edited 15 September 2018 at 6:37PM
    Thanks Abba and Beanie for the positive vibes :)
    Homegrown0 wrote: »
    Wow, what have I missed? A lot apparently!

I think you're looking at this with a great frame of mind DIA - as you say, thinking negatively about the situation and your employer isn't going to change anything so I think it's good you're trying to have a positive outlook and work with what you have.

To be honest, you've never seemed to be happy in your job in the whole time I've been reading your diaries so unless financial, there doesn't seem to be many reasons for you to stay. Your employer will find out the hard way that by not accommodating a well-needed sabbatical (that they in fact offer!), they are actually losing an employee as a result.

If you can squirrel away the cash to cover you for a whole year then I say do it! Get out of there and get your creative mojo back! As you say, you have a skill and experience so you shouldn't have a shortage of job offers when the time comes to get back into the world of work.

Full support from me, as always, and feel free to air your concerns/ pros and cons on here and we can be a sounding board.

I think you're a brave person and you deserve to be happy in what you do.
    Thank you Homegrown. You can be sure I will be seeking your advice along the way.
    Fortune favours the brave is a cliche for a reason
    Thank you INOD. I am in part inspired by your journey. You left a secure job and you are finding a way forward. I hope to be able to do the same. Life is way too short not to give it a go.
    DIA that's a wonderful post - totally inspirational.

We've discussed before whether you really need a new kitchen to sell and this sounds like a really good compromise to me. I have been spending time on my house this week and wishing that the basics were done properly so I wasn't having to fix holes in plaster and could just paint etc. So long as the place is livable and looks clean buyers will be ok with being able to add to it themselves.

I love the breakthrough idea too as I am working through things myself recently and finding that changes have happened and more need to be made. I will be keeping that word in mind. And totally agree, you shouldn't let an amazing opportunity slip by. You have already proved with your tutoring that you have alternative income options and as you say, you've made yourself a situation where you can do what brings you joy now :)
    Thanks Rosa, I think the kitchen plan is a good way forward too. If it is the matter of a shiny new kitchen or time to pursue a dream there is no contest :)

Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills