Filing Documents in Alphabetical Order

Hi

I have a large number of documents saved onto a USB stick. What do I need to do to get them to appear in alphabetical order? I went into organize but there does not appear to be an option there.

Thank you
Val :)

Comments

• John_Gray
    John_Gray Posts: 5,821 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    I don't recognise "Organise", but if you can start Windows Explorer and select the USB Flash Drive you can just click on the heading called "Name" in the right-hand pane, once or twice.
  • Geodark
    Geodark Posts: 1,048 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    What OS are you using?
  • almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    ^ Yep, depends what device, and operating system you're on. And you're not really saving anything in order, you can just view it in different ways.
    Assuming it's a recent Windows version, open the USB drive in Explorer, and look for 'View'. Firstly you'll want to select 'list' or 'small icons' or similar, then along the top of the list of files, there will be categories shown like name, size, date. If you click on 'Name' it should go alphabetically, and if you click it again, it'll reverse that. Similarly, click size to arrange by size, etc.
    The files aren't actually 'saved' in any order like that.
  • Rockman
    Rockman Posts: 620 Forumite
    almillar wrote: »
    ^ Yep, depends what device, and operating system you're on. And you're not really saving anything in order, you can just view it in different ways.
    Assuming it's a recent Windows version, open the USB drive in Explorer, and look for 'View'. Firstly you'll want to select 'list' or 'small icons' or similar, then along the top of the list of files, there will be categories shown like name, size, date. If you click on 'Name' it should go alphabetically, and if you click it again, it'll reverse that. Similarly, click size to arrange by size, etc.
    The files aren't actually 'saved' in any order like that.

Thanks very much. Worked a treat
    Val :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family