Dusty's Frugal Fortnights

Comments

• dustydigger
    dustydigger Posts: 1,508 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Thats torn it! Phone call last night from stepson in USA,he and 2 of the kids are coming to visit - coming first week in June,leaving the 8th.:eek::eek:
    Normally they give 2 months warning,so when nothing was said in March when he usually informs us I assumed they werent coming this year. I lay awake half the night trying to think of all the things I have to do,masive housework sessions ahead,painting,finding all the bedding etc,thinking of meals,entertainment etc etc etc. Good job I am much improved in the legs department because I have a lot of work ahead. :)
    Cant believe he left it so late to tell us!Guest room has been used as a playroom for 2 years by the grandkids,major packing and rearranging ahead there. Mr Dusty uses the box room as his den,we stacked the bed and mattress behind the wardrobes to give him a bit space as its only 11ftx 9ft. Now we need to drag them out again and stack Mr Dusty's mountains of stuff away somewhere.
    And then there is their baggage;they each bring 2 personal suitcases and a backpack stuffed to the brim,and then an extra suitcase each full of clothes for relatives and charity in Africa. The taxi drivers always have a headache trying to stack everything in the vehicle.:rotfl:
    Before we could put at least one kid and some baggage at my daughter's,but they are chockablock since my granddaughter and the 2 babies came back,so thats out.One year I put a table in the box room and stacked lots of things both under it and piled cases up on top.and they just had one suitcase each in the bedrooms,but its a tight squeeze.Its a small house and Mr Dusty has masses of stuff EVERYWHERE!
    We usually end up moving some of our furniture out on the yard under a tarpaulin just to make some space. Its the logistics of moving stuff about. And imagine if I hadnt already got rid of at least some stuff in my decluttering crusade.Oh boy,my stress levels are rising already! :DLiterally slept only 3 hours last night as I lay till 3 am making mental lists etc.
    And isnt it a good thing I started an emergency fund?:T.Its not just decorating,and getting a new mattress etc,but not only do I have to cook for the visitors,(and pretty sure one is a vegan)but also all the family who come to see them.Never seen people eat as much salad and fruit as my stepson,and gallons of bottled water before you even think of what to cook.........

Off to make a start,finding the guest bedding,crockery and glassware,bathroom sets and towels,etc etc etc and see what I need to buy.My brain is scurrying in all directions thinking what I need to do.
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,241 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    You will be a busy bee then :eek:
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • dustydigger
    beanielou wrote: »
    You will be a busy bee then :eek:
    :rotfl::rotfl:
    I was pretty much stunned into immobility for a couple of days,brain scurrying off in all directions.Have been assessing what needs to be done and decided it will have to be the minimum,I am just not up to doing much,still not fully up to scratch. Yet another water infection,the night sweats(changing sheets every couple of days,good job its been so sunny lately,so I get them out on the line) poor sleep and feelings of anxiety,as if I have a dentist's appointment or a tough job interview ahead. You can know what is happening to you physically and mentally,but overcoming it aint easy.And all those external stressors - Mr Dusty's court case,GD2s stalker issue,dieting etc) - arent exactly helpful either!:)
  • dustydigger
    So,end of a rather dire fortnight,I have barely posted or kept track.So here's a rather slight summary.
    Finances:Emptied my purse today and had nearly £24,only £4 of which will go to my Sealed Pot,the £20 will be needed to buy some paint!
    Diet: is kaput,have been so nervy I have been comfort eating. Had half a loaf of bread this week ( ate none in 4 months) and 3 Fry's Creams in one afternoon,which depressed me a lot.Also Mr Dusty brought home my favourite scones,and I ate two off the belt,slathered in butter.
    Exercise: I went to the local T*sco a couple of times,10 mins walk,and did several shops using my shopping trolley. I really move fast when I have that:rotfl:But in my blue funk I spent hours at a time staring out of the window,couldnt be bothered to even watch TV.Not been up to sustained exercises or walks though,which is a shame when the weather has been good.I did enjoy that long walk last Sunday,but been nowhere since :( When I feel better of course it will be raining.:D
    Extra income: got another £5 from My Surveys,thats £20 since I started,paid for 6 books for my reading challenges.:T Finally reached my £20 level for Prolific,which has taken off the £20 but nothing has shown up on Circle yet. However it is a weekend so hopefully it turns up soon. I have it earmarked for a new kitchen pedal bin,a new mop,and some cheap tumblers. (the grandkids have demolished them little by little,and I darent let them get at my nice ones!:D)(every little helps.)
    Annoyingly the surveys have been offering me surveys when I was not together enough to take up the offers. Now of course when I feel better there wont be an offer in sight,never fails.;)

Hobbies: Very pleased with my work in the family history group last Wednesday. I am making clean copies of documents of my paternal line.- father, grandfather,great grandfather.I really need records of birth,marriage,and death in each case,but thats not always possible once you get back to the 1700s and 1800s. Will continue this week,because my subscription ends on 6th July,and new frugal me wont pay £96 for another year!:eek:So I need to copy as many records as possible,unlimited free prints at the group.

New fortnight tomorrow,hope I can post more regularly,impose some order in my chaotic mind!
  • dustydigger
    Had quite a busy day. Of course there was the usual Sunday dinner to make,and did two loads of washing,dried lovely in the sunshine.Mr Dusty is ironing sheets right now!
    Also managed to use a damp seal paint on the ceiling at the bottom of the stairs. When we had the toilet plumbing emergency a few weeks ago,water seeped down under the floor and made nasty stains on the ceiling below,both in the hall and a corner of the sitting room.It's taken two weeks to dry out,very unsightly. This morning I used the sealant and it looks good even before putting on a coat of ordinary paint.Nightmare using the stepladder though,I cant bear the tenderness of my shins when they press against the ladder. In the end I had to use a chair,nice and stable and plenty of space to stand on.Cant step up onto the chair though,too high for my weak knees,so I still needed the ladders to get onto the chair. Then of course getting up and down and moving the chair along was a palaver,but I did it in the end.(I now have in mind for Xmas someone getting me a three step folding kitchen ladder. I must be shrinking because I even on tiptoes its hard reaching the top shelves in the kitchen cupboards!)
    Used the same method of chair and ladder to change my curtains in the living room. I recently washed and ironed all the curtains for Easter,all I did was put the ones from my bedroom,in the sitting room ,and the flowered ones in the guest bedroom,they are perfectly clean. One less job to do,washing /ironing curtains.Did all that while Mr Dusty was away in town. It would have taken twice as long and a whole lot of arguments to get it done:rotfl:.We dont do well working together:D
  • dustydigger
    Another lovely sunny day,and not so much wind.The grass is growing amazingly fast. there is an open area across the road,and the council havent cut the grass there for several weeks and it is absolutely covered in dandelions,they look so bright and cheerful in the sun,but they have infiltrated our front garden,and even the back garden has been dotted with them. They have now become dandelion clocks so we have a million more to look forward to very soon:D

Just had my fortnightly Asd@ home delivery,it took ages to unpack and put away. How can two people eat so much?Nearly £58,and that doesnt include anything like meat or fish,certainly no luxuries, no cakes biscuits etc.I am pretty good at sticking to my shopping list,I dont even look at sweets etc.
    I am always amused these days of avoiding processed foods etc that the actual sections of the supermarket I even walk down is almost entirely restricted to the fruit and veg,some frozen veg,and tinned fish.So getting a home delivery for the basics saves me a lot of hassle. Mr Dusty goes for the fresh meat fish bread etc. I go to Ald! once a fortnight for my fave yoghurt,peanut butter and a couple of items I prefer from their store,and then I get my Maris Piper potatoes from T*sco. I was probably spending at least £20 a week more,mostly on processed rubbish which was ruining my health.Good to know I have changed for the better:j
  • dustydigger
    Doing my usual Monday morning cleaning.done the fridge,microwave,washing machine,and the cupboard doors.Am now off to prepare dinner (roasties,broccoli,carrots ,the brisket is already cooked off yesterday,so not much work)I am going to have a big salad with salmon (3 mins in the microwave,that'll do me ;)). This afternoon I am off to do some shopping at Wilko,but need to get into town to look in the pound shops for things like paper napkins,paper cups to cut down on washing up and the like.Also need need new wooden salad utensils,Mr Dusty,clueless,stirred something I was frying with it and got it all blackened and not looking good.:eek: I used to like Poundstretcher for kitchen utensils,glassware and the like,fair quality and low prices,but sadly they closed down last year:( So I need to rummage around looking for bargains!
    Off to do the veg,then mop the floor,then make my salad.
    Hope I can get on later to do my budget,after coming back from shopping.
  • dustydigger
    Never did get out on Monday afternoon. First Mr Dusty decided he needed to go into town just as I was getting ready to put out dinner,and didnt get back till 1.30pm. Then GD3 said she arranged for a parcel to be delivered at mine,and Mr Dusty wanted me to search out the locations of obscure European football teams(Honka,Vitesse,Sarpsborg,Molde etc etc, so that he can locate the results easily) and the afternoon was over. Yesterday was a medical appointment,this pm its the hairdresser,tomorrow we are starting to do the kitchen,so thats this week used up ! :D
    Couldnt go out anyway,I had a nasty little accident yesterday evening. I was stepping down slowly from back door step,putting strong leg down first,and the back door swings shut very quickly. I was too slow getting out and the sharp metal edge on the bottom of the heavy door cut my heel,amazing amount of blood because of being on blood thinners,though the wound itself wasnt very big. But its right where my shoes would rub on it so I am housebound yet again for a few days.
    Plenty to do this morning as the hairdresser is coming to do a perm this afternoon,and the kitchen is an absolute tip. I am moving stuff out because we intend to paint this weekend,boxes stacked here and there,plus the mover and strimmer used by Mr.Dusty yesterday are waiting for him to oil them,so good luck with finding a space for the hairdresser to stand:rotfl:
    I am just going to make Iceland's best,their Tikka Masala.9 minutes in the microwave,and one of the few ready made meals Mr Dusty will eat,about once a fortnight.Still got to make his roasties and rice,but not much hassle when I have so much to do.
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,241 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Happy new hair.
    Hope your heel heals soon.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • dustydigger
    Right,here is my budget for this fortnight.

Income:£291 from Mr Dusty,plus £71 my 2 weeks pension total - £362 .Transferred £300 from my emergency fund (now a princely £100 left in,but imagine in my pre MSE days,I would have been in a mess:eek:)That makes an income of £662

outgoings 14th May- 27th May
    life insurance - £20
    House insurance -£20
    Water rates - £36
    hair dresser - £26
    Asd@ home delivery - £59
    Asda delivery voucher - £5
    total : £166
    household budget - £141 (in cash)
    total income - £662
    total outlay - £307
    surplus £355
    No savings or birthday funds etc this fortnight,I need every penny I can find.
    That £355 is my total budget for any thing needed for the visitors,ridiculously inadequate so I will surely be dipping into my savings. True our stepson usually gives us some money which partly covers it,covering electricity and he sometimes brings in extra food,but it's as he is leaving,so I have the outlay upfront:( Ah well,I'll get through somehow,I always do. But its certainly no stress-free affair!:rotfl:
    And only weeks after Mr Dusty's disastrous visit to Africa futilely depleted his savings by thousands:(,and he has to pay the lawyer again this month plus help his family in Africa,so he is strapped for cash: so this visit is all on me:)
    Right. off now to attempt to tidy the chaos in the kitchen,mop the floor,and then peel potatoes.
    When people dream of winning the lottery and want to buy a fancy house etc,I always say I will live in a hotel - no cooking or cleaning at all.......(sigh)......... lovely dream,but since I dont even buy lottery tickets,rather unlikely!:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure