Managing Loose Change

Comments

• 6022tivo
    6022tivo Posts: 781 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I pay with card, preferably contactless everywhere, so rarely have change
  • SG27
    SG27 Posts: 2,773 Forumite
    I just spend it. I never have more than a few quid in change. Then when I go to shop just count out the exact amount. Or im going to £20 petrol in the car and ive got £2.34 in my pocket ill fill up to £22.34.
  • ColdIron
    ColdIron Posts: 9,016 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    zerog wrote: »
    Suppose something costs £3.62 but you have less than £3 of coins.

If you have 62p, pay £5.62 and get £2 change instead of £1.38. Or pay £10.62 or £20.62 if you really have to.
    I do this but you have to go through the following rigmarole every time
    1. Hand over £5.62
    2. Wait 5 seconds as they pause with wrinkled brow thinking 'what is this'?
    3. They ring it up anyway
    4. Wait another 5 seconds as they hesitantly hand back £2 wondering if you have diddled them
    'Making change' seems to be a lost skill these days
  • My little sister takes all of my loose change aha
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,539 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Yes they struggle at the till if you have made it easier for them!
    Part of the problem is that the till works out the change.
    In the 'good old days' the first thing you were taught in M&S was to start at the selling price and put the coins into the customer's hand adding them up as you went until you reached the sum offered. That's the way you also learned you had given change for £5 rather than the customer's £10. Oops- time to call the supervisor to open the till. (Perhaps in the days I'm thinking of it was £1 rather than £5!)

I just spend change as I get it- contactless isn't accepted on the fruit & veg market stalls!

I can remember taking a bag of copper into a local bank and they were very 'iffy' about it- think I had to put the money into the account when really I just wanted larger denominations.
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggyduvets,26 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=160 £86 spent!!!
  • Flobberchops
    Flobberchops Posts: 1,279 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    First priority is to sift through change to find any commemorative 50p or £2 coins (back in the days of round pounds, I'd check them too). Any special designs go in my collection and any duplicates go on ebay.

Bulk change can be paid into Metro Bank coin machines, either into my savings or taken as cash (even non customers are welcome to swap coins for notes using the machines, although expect to have one of their really peppy members of staff all but hold your hand as you do so).
    : )
  • boliston
    boliston Posts: 3,012 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    It is handy for buying a coffee
  • gallygirl
    gallygirl Posts: 17,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Anything less than 50p used to go into Peefer Pig and when he was full I bagged it up and paid into a bank account via the PO. Then I went home, logged onto my bank account and paid it off the mortgage :j.

Now living in Spain, there's not really a culture of saving coins and quite often in supermarkets and always at markets they let you off with the odd cent or two :beer:. I still expect my full change back though :o.
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
  • Plus
    Plus Posts: 433 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Always pay with the smallest coins first. If something costs £3.62, first find 2p, then some silver to make 60p, then £3 in 50p/£1/£2 coins. Don't break £2 or notes unless you have to.

Usually my problem is not having enough coins, not too many.
  • jamesperrett
    jamesperrett Posts: 1,009 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Katiehound wrote: »
    Y
    In the 'good old days' the first thing you were taught in M&S was to start at the selling price and put the coins into the customer's hand adding them up as you went until you reached the sum offered. That's the way you also learned you had given change for £5 rather than the customer's £10. Oops- time to call the supervisor to open the till.

When I worked in a shop I was told to only put the notes in the right place in the till after I'd counted out the change. That way, if there was any dispute about what sort of note had been used, the note itself would still be available to check.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure