Great 'Section 75 successes' Hunt

2»

Comments

• Hi, please be aware that although your claim might be valid and the bank concede this the other side's credit card company may try to hide behind the mastercard/Visa rules.

I had a non-delivery situation (actually to another EU country which the supplier accepted when they accepted our order) - Mastercard refused to accept our claim on the grounds that the supplier was claiming intent to deliver. Yes intent but no actual effort to deliver was ever made. The supplier ended up with our goods and full payment :mad:.

Tesco were super and repaid us in full so they took the full loss of £1600 (they had made an admin error and didn't try to wriggle out of it). Under s.75 we would not have received a penny. I am not sure s75 is as strong and reliable as Money saving expert would have you believe.
  • Oopsadaisy
    Oopsadaisy Posts: 1,818 Forumite
    Of course the biggest S75 'avoider/scammer' is Paypal/eBay [same entity in case you didn't know].

They virtually force you to use paypal and make all sorts of claims about ebay protection.......but most cc cos will NOT pay up under s75 for paypal purchases.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why then you're as thick and stupid as the moderators on here - MSE ForumTeam
  • eleanorf
    eleanorf Posts: 25 Forumite
    On her gap year travels my daughter managed to break one digital camera, have an ipod (left on charge in a communal hostel kitchen!) stolen and the replacement camera, bought on my Nationwide credit card in Malaysia, stolen whilst left in a locked vehicle whilst camping in Australia.
    her travel insurance didnt cover any items left in a vehicle - but would have covered it if she'd left it in the tent!
    I managed to claim the replacement cost of the camera via s75. I remember them asking for all sorts of substantiating evidence, like police reports, the original packaging, instruction leaflets and leads - which she had abandoned on her travels - but they did eventually pay out.
  • Roughly 6 years ago, I purchased a £120 watch for my friend. She gave me the cash, and i Paid on my credit card. Knowing about the section 75, i was happy to do this for her as buying over the internet with a company that seems legit, but you have never used before you can do with all the back up you can get.

2 weeks after we still had not received the watch, and no emails were being replied to.

I contacted my credit card (I think it was capital one at the time), and within a couple of weeks i had my refund.

We bought a new watch and her husband loved it.

I have never had to use it since, but i always tell my family and friends that if they are buying over £100, ALWAYS use a credit card.
  • A couple of years ago, I had a kitchen on order with MFI. I'd been in on the very last day of the sale and paid a £350 deposit on my kitchen, but not arranged for final delivery date etc as I still had building work going on at the house still - this ran in to difficulties and ran on much longer than anticipated.

Needless to say, MFI eventually ran into trouble and went into administration.. I rang MBNA the day after to find out what the process was and was told that as MFI had not yet failed to make delivery on the agreed date (and there was no agreed date, because it hadn't been arranged yet) then MBNA would not refund the money unless MFI went into liquidation..

This went back and forth for 17 phonecalls and letters and numerous missed promised callbacks and responses and with MBNA later saying that I only had 120 days from the date of purchase to make the claim (which had eventually expired due to them putting me off in the first place).

Eventually... I got the money back, but no apology - would not recommend them!

Eventually - and admitting no fault on their part
  • We have also attended these presentations. One favorite catch of theirs is to tell you that you must sign up on the day or miss the oportunity!!!! We give them all a miss. Stick to discounted hotels of quality.

Normanp wrote: »
    A while ago now my wife and I attneded one of these holiday club type presentations (not time share but something a bit different and another story!).

We believed the hype and paid £3500 for mebership.

After a while it becme obvious that the company were not going to deliver any of the advertised benefits, and the finla straw was when the free holiday offered as an incentive was cancelled becuse the holiday club had not paid the travel company.

We tried getting our money back through small claims, and although the case was found in our favour the company never attended and never showed any sign of paying up.

Luckily we had paid using the wifes Barclaycard.

It took a couple of letters but in the end they repaid "most" of the £3500 they did keep a bit back for admin or something like that. But at lease we got most of our money back.

Normski
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    People seem confused between s. 75 claims and claims under the insurance that some CC's offer. s. 75 does not cover you for theft or accidental damage.
    higginsb wrote: »
    bought a netbook on nationwide creditcard on which the screen got damaged and was irreparable after 3 weeks. Nationwide have a clause (don't know if this applies to other creditcards) where they will only pay out if the item is not insured thru any other insurance such as house or travel insurance. They therefore would only pay out the excess on our house contents policy of £100.
    eleanorf wrote: »
    On her gap year travels my daughter managed to break one digital camera, have an ipod (left on charge in a communal hostel kitchen!) stolen and the replacement camera, bought on my Nationwide credit card in Malaysia, stolen whilst left in a locked vehicle whilst camping in Australia.
    her travel insurance didnt cover any items left in a vehicle - but would have covered it if she'd left it in the tent!
    I managed to claim the replacement cost of the camera via s75. I remember them asking for all sorts of substantiating evidence, like police reports, the original packaging, instruction leaflets and leads - which she had abandoned on her travels - but they did eventually pay out.
    Gone ... or have I?
  • savercol
    savercol Posts: 85 Forumite
    dinnjo wrote: »
    I booked a hotel in Venice through a website and paid the site a deposit (about £80) with my Barclaycard. Later I paid the website the balance (about £400), using a bank transfer to save the credit card fee. The website then went bust before my holiday. I made a section 75 claim with Barclaycard. They refunded my deposit but argued that as the hotel was still in business they would not be refunding the balance. I thought their argument was nonsense and told them so but they would not change their minds. I then got in touch with the Financial Ombudsman and filled in the appropriate forms. Within a week I got another letter from Barclaycard saying that they had reconsidered my case and they then refunded the balance in full, even though by this time I had cancelled my account with them. Coincidence? I think not.
    Re Dinnjos post #12
    Worth noting, I believe, that you have to spend at least £100 on the credit card for Section 75 to be active. Everything I buy is paid in part by card for safety.
  • Oopsadaisy
    Oopsadaisy Posts: 1,818 Forumite
    savercol wrote: »
    Re Dinnjos post #12
    Worth noting, I believe, that you have to spend at least £100 on the credit card for Section 75 to be active. Everything I buy is paid in part by card for safety.

Almost right. The cost of the item has to be more than £100 [and less than £30k], there is no lower limit on the amount that has to be on the cc.

So items costs £6000, pay £1 or 1p on cc to get s75 protection.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why then you're as thick and stupid as the moderators on here - MSE ForumTeam
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure