The great ‘Cheap cuppa’ hunt: Your top (PG?) Tips to bag cheap tea

Former_MSE_Wendy
Former_MSE_Wendy Posts: 929
I've been Money Tipped! Newshound! PPI Party Pooper Best Buy Bear
Forumite
edited 19 May 2009 at 8:07PM in Food shopping & groceries
PG Tips says it'll hike tea prices by up to 15% next month due to supply problems, and while the cost of a cuppa is, and will remain, relatively cheap, you could stock up now.

So we thought we'd ask MoneySavers to report tea tips and bargains.

Have you spotted a bargain beverage?
Do you find own brand teas tastier in the first place?
How many times can you reuse bags?

Click reply to discuss.

To get you started here's an offer we've spotted:

Tetley Tea bags are 100% extra free in Somerfield (160 bags for the price of 80) between Wed 20 May to Tue 2 June. The packet costs £2.09.

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]
*** Get the Martin's Money Tips Free E-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips ***

Comments

• calleyw
    calleyw Posts: 9,822
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Sainsburys Red Label Half price £1.34 for 160 bags.

Buy it for my husband and have even converted my mum to it.

Also iceland are doing Twinings everyday tea 100 bags for £1.

Can't tell you when the offers run out. Never drink it myself makes me want to go :eek:

Yours

Calley
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
  • eslick
    eslick Posts: 2,062
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Ringtons tea is the best around and they even deliver to your door
  • nic_nac_
    nic_nac_ Posts: 213 Forumite
    I love my cuppa's and generally just buy whatever is on offer, i'm using Asda's own make 160 two packs for £3 just now and they are just as good as the brand names in my opinion.:D
  • Obukit
    Obukit Posts: 670 Forumite
    Sainsbury's basics tea is 28p for 80 bags. Fairtrade and tastes pretty good (much better than the Tesco equivalent).

I'm sure they must make a loss on it and only have the price set to match Tescos, so it's a real bargain.
  • Tosquito
    Tosquito Posts: 656 Forumite
    edited 26 May 2009 at 8:25PM
    Having tried almost every type of Supermarket Brand Earl Grey Tea,
    I can honestly say that Twinings is awful, Morrisons and the Co-op are not great either,
    M&S is rather good and Sainsburys is good too.

Reason for not liking any but the last 2, is the after taste that you get from the other brands.
    How the tea tastes comes above price any day.

This may only be helpful to any Earl Grey Tea Drinkers.
    But it can't be just me that drinks it.

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]
    :p Thrust Moonstone At Your Service :p
  • andy2004
    andy2004 Posts: 1,309 Forumite
    always buy PG Tips here, and always when its on offer, 240bags for £3, usually iceland, asda, last time it was on offer we bought 11boxs. 10 from asda and 1 from iceland. about a week later when i went shopping up there, and looking in tesco's saw the price was £4.54 for the same box, believe the price is down again, just checked there website. 240bags for £3.
  • MSE_Martin
    MSE_Martin Posts: 8,272
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Money Saving Expert
    In the double downshift programme I did for ITV1. We changed the families tea bag from a premium brand to Sainsbury basics - and they didnt notice. Food for thought. :) (and tea for tuppence)
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
    Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
    Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
  • joan1
    joan1 Posts: 2 Newbie
    edited 20 May 2009 at 11:25AM
    A few thoughts on the above.Aim to buy tea bags at a penny each or less. Just late last year,Somerfield were doing 240 bags of Tetley for £2.Very good everyday tea.One of our local shops in the midlands,Home Bargains used to have Ainsley Harriott`s own brand tea for around 1P each bag.It`s probably the best i`ve ever bought.They don`t have it now and i`ve never seen it elsewhere.Beware of good brands like Ty-Phoo that are often sold as "1 cup" for around a penny each.They are clearly not the same as their "regular" product.I agree with most of the other postings but i did buy Asda`s own brand tea recently(240 for £2) and was very disappointed.
    Will try Sainsbury`s cheap bags as recommended as at 28p for 80 it`s not much loss if they are not so good!
    Phil
    PS. Just tried Sainsbury`s as above.Amazing value and a very satisfactory taste.Almost as good or as good as bags costing four times as much!
  • nesssie1702
    nesssie1702 Posts: 1,345
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Tosquito wrote: »
    Having tried almost every type of Supermarket Brand Earl Grey Tea,
    I can honestly say that Twinings is awful, Morrisons and the Co-op are not great either,
    M&S is rather good and Sainsburys is good too.

This may only be helpful to any Earl Grey Tea Drinkers.
    But it can't be just me that drinks it.

Ah, but we're all different! Is your critique of loose leaf tea or tea bags?

I quite like Twinings and Morrison's Earl Grey tea bags :D.

Can't stand M&S and Asdas, as they seem to dip the teabags in a dye/flavour which leaves a nasty taste in your mouth (Which would suggest that it's normal tea and it's the teabag that's got the bergamot on it?)

I should maybe try the loose leaf stuff, as it's meant to make the better cuppa, the dross left over is used in tea bags!
  • sackcloth
    sackcloth Posts: 72 Forumite
    Having been a lifelong PG Tips drinker, and now living on limited funds, we've recently switched to Sainsburys Red Label following on from Martin's programme about down-shifting. The large boxes are on special offer at the moment and the taste is no different from the PG ones. Although they do taste better knowing that they are considerably cheaper...!! :j
    Passing it on 24/7... while wearing stylish and confidence building heels!

Weeks until Christmas - 7, yes, I'm already counting...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure