Great ‘best value restaurant food’ Hunt

Without a doubt, eating in a restaurant instead of cooking at home costs more. Yet how much more depends mostly on what you order and where you opt to dine.

We'd like to tap MoneySavers for their top tips on where to go and what to eat that doesn't cost outrageously more than if you were to cook it yourself. For example, a pizza only costs around 50p to make, yet most eateries will charge in excess of £8. On the other hand, supermarkets sell steaks for a couple of quid yet some restaurants will offer this, plus chips and veg, for a fiver.

Please click reply to add your ideas and suggestions.

And if you're an avid restaurant diner, don't forget to look out for your favourite places on the daily updated Cheap Restaurant Deals note to nab 2for1 and 50% off promotions.

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• This has been our familys favorite for a good few years now:

http://www.littlebay.co.uk/london.html

Starters: between noon & 7pm £2.25, £2.95 after 7pm
    Mains: between noon & 7pm £5.25, £6.85 after 7pm
    Puddings: between noon & 7pm £2.25 after 7pm £2.95

Check out the menu, superb value for money and the profiteroles are the best I have ever had; no way could you get the value and portion size and atmosphere anywhere else.

(I have even managed Lunch and Dinner there in the same day, wicked!)
    I'm a Nanny again! 23rd April 2012
    Elijah arrived 7 weeks early, 4lb 6.5ozs struggling a bit but in neo natal so well looke after!

I'm A Nanny! (3rd July 2008)
    Carmella arrived 7 weeks early, 4lb 11ozs and doing well in Neo natal :j
  • I know times are tough but these 2 for 1 and 50% off offers by the big chains are really hurting the small individually owned local restaurants. I am not saying you should support your local sole proprieter owned local restaurant just because it's a small local business: but if it's a good restaurant then it needs your support now more than ever. Most of the big chains (owned by large publicly listed companies) serve very average food anyway.
    "The happiest of people don't necessarily have the
    best of everything; they just make the best
    of everything that comes along their way."
    -- Author Unknown --
  • There is a pub over the road from me (It's on Gosbrook Road, Caversham, RG4 if you're excited) that is offering meals for £1.99.

Wetherspoons (AKA Students' Paradise) charged me only £2.99 for sausage,chips and beans. But even that is more expensive than a few spuds, a pack of sausages and a tin of beans (+leccy/water bills)

The only thing you can BE SURE of getting cheaper than at home is drinking water:

Home: Water costs.
    Pub: FREE

I'm going to start filling up bottles at the pub to take home, to brush my teeth with!
    "Money is the root of all evil" -Poor person.
    "Money makes the world go round" - Rich Person.
    "Lack of money is the root of all evil" - (c) Me.
  • chivers1977
    chivers1977 Posts: 1,499 Forumite
    This has been our familys favorite for a good few years now:

http://www.littlebay.co.uk/london.html

Starters: between noon & 7pm £2.25, £2.95 after 7pm
    Mains: between noon & 7pm £5.25, £6.85 after 7pm
    Puddings: between noon & 7pm £2.25 after 7pm £2.95

Check out the menu, superb value for money and the profiteroles are the best I have ever had; no way could you get the value and portion size and atmosphere anywhere else.

(I have even managed Lunch and Dinner there in the same day, wicked!)

I know that this is famous in the Croydon area - must say I never made it there when I lived there for years!
    There are times when parenthood seems nothing but feeding the mouth that bites you Peter De Vries
    Debt free by 40 (27/11/2016)
  • sare_2
    sare_2 Posts: 303 Forumite
    Crown Carveries. All you can eat carvery for £3.50 Monday to Saturday. It would cost me more to cook it at home.
  • Without a doubt, eating in a restaurant instead of cooking at home costs more. Yet how much more depends mostly on what you order and where you opt to dine.

We'd like to tap MoneySavers for their top tips on where to go and what to eat that doesn't cost outrageously more than if you were to cook it yourself. For example, a pizza only costs around 50p to make, yet most eateries will charge in excess of £8. On the other hand, supermarkets sell steaks for a couple of quid yet some restaurants will offer this, plus chips and veg, for a fiver.

Please click reply to add your ideas and suggestions.

And if you're an avid restaurant diner, don't forget to look out for your favourite places on the daily updated Cheap Restaurant Deals note to nab 2for1 and 50% off promotions.

It depends on what costs you factor in the cost of making a pizza at home ,once you take into account your mortgage/ rent , heating , lighting , labour costs etc etc it does cost more then 50p .

I personally think eating out cheaply is a waste , on the whole the food and experience isnt very good .
  • viktory
    viktory Posts: 7,635 Forumite
    Toby Carvery are not bad although they are always heaving. At the moment they are doing a carvery meal and ice cream sundae for £4.90. Considering you can go back for more veg that is a very good offer.

I love eating out and whilst I know that is is going to cost more than eating at home in my opinion you cannot beat a well cooked meal, waiter service and no washing up!
  • Not sure if they are all over the country or just in Northamptonshire region but if you like simple food well cooked then Jennys is worth a go. I was put off by the 'egg and chips' look of the place but once forced in there for a desperate wee I discovered the amazing value to be had in eating there!

The Quay, a waterside pub in Aqua Billing Northampton with a great deck area overlooking the marina, is doing two main courses for £10. This offer covers all dishes marked with the 2 for £10 symbol and includes great steaks; all their steaks are matured for 28 days (like Sainsburys Finest).

There you (and I) go! :j
    Save on washing-up too.... eat from the tin!
  • Agree, the Crown Carveries are great - even cheaper than Toby, at £3.50.
    Wetherspoons, especially if you have a voucher, are good value, but have noticed their prices creeping up, their coffee used to be 69p, now it is 89p, I think!
  • Daveee
    Daveee Posts: 14 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Golden Eagle, Blackpool.
    2 Steak meals for under £6. Great food and great choice, gammon steaks are to die for! Internet club sends vouchers for £5 off so it is possible to have 2 meals for £1! The pub is owned by Punch Taverns. (The vouchers it seems are an error and the offer was meant to be sent to their Southern customers where the offer is 2 for £10 but it clearly states valid against 2 for 1 deals so are accepted although reluctantly).

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport