Real-life MMD: Should I pay fixed contribution for teacher's gift?

Comments

• kleapatra
    kleapatra Posts: 213
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    WestonDave wrote: »
    I'd agree with you - its cash value vouchers administered by the employer so would be taxable - otherwise everyone would get paid in Sainsbury's vouchers and pay no tax!

But that's exactly what a lot of people do! It's called salary sacrifice and any company can run such a scheme. My mum used to work for a major bank and had £200 of her monthly salary paid in Tesco vouchers, means they were taken out of pretax wages so you pay less PAYE and less NIC. Child care vouchers and cycle to work schemes work exactly the same!

And yes £25 is too much. Way too much. By at least £20.
  • tizzzzy_2
    tizzzzy_2 Posts: 118 Forumite
    I wonder if the local press are aware of this?
  • p.mckinlay
    p.mckinlay Posts: 18 Forumite
    When my husband was teaching he was given a bottle of wine by an 18 year old pupil and he was very embarrassed. Teachers are paid very well for the job they do and should not expect anything extra. I would complain to the headteacher and refuse to give anything! I used to give a box of chocolates or some nice bubble bath to a good teacher.
  • scotsbob
    scotsbob Posts: 4,632 Forumite
    Do you want your kid to get good grades or average grades next year??

Bit of a no brainer really, a bargain at £25 I would say.
  • yz324
    yz324 Posts: 74 Forumite
    Personally, I think teachers is one of the most underpaid profession in this country. I believe (maybe incorrectly), for many people on this forum, including myself, I think 25 quid once a year is affordable since you are not paying a penny for your child' education education, but the point here is that any sort of gifts should be voluntary.

I had previously given generous personal gifts to teachers my school. (For a kid in a comprehensive, anyway), but there are teachers in my school I wouldn't give 25p to for their service.

I actually hope you go the press about this. I just think this is ridiculous.
  • yz324
    yz324 Posts: 74 Forumite
    scotsbob wrote: »
    Do you want your kid to get good grades or average grades next year??

Bit of a no brainer really, a bargain at £25 I would say.

what the ....? your teacher does not mark your SATS/GCSE/A-level papers. How do they determine your grade? Everyone gets the same teaching. For better grades, you work harder.

I had 9A* 4A's at GCSE and 6A's at A-level, and I couldnt give a flying .... when my school reports were rubbish. Your education should not depend on bribing teachers.
  • tia86
    tia86 Posts: 956 Forumite
    I imagine there are very few schools that do this and also guessing it is primary rather than secondary (I am a secondary school teacher and definitely do not get anything like this) I would also guess it is a private school as you are saying it is expected.

Personally if I am going to be given anything I appreciate a card, and I can then look back on these and remember my classes (though as it is secondary this is rare). I would not expect a child to be giving me that much!

P.S yes gifts do supposedly have to be declared
  • Absolute no to this one. I am a teacher and any gift giving is entirely up to the family and is always appreciated as such.

However, please can I add that most teachers in my experience think like myself and can we not have anymore 'teacher bashing'. We are just people like yourselves, with bills to pay and mouths to feed and are angry, like you, at the blatancy of this school!

However, if our pupils choose to thank us, then please let them do so without condemnation or jealousy. I gave my midwives presents after my children's births even though they were paid a salary. And my doctor after helping during a troubled time. I would hate it if the general public condemned them for my expression of thanks!!
  • Wow, £25 is a huge amount for a gift to the class teacher/assistant. With (say) 30 pupils that's £750! You sure you've got the facts right?

I know a number of teachers, each of whom went home last week at the end of school term with copious amounts of chocolate, wine, flowers and the inevitable "Best Teacher in the World" mugs. (Actually, the mugs were left in the staff room to be added to the many, many other "Best Teacher in the World" mugs that have accumulated over the past few years - tip to the wise, never buy the class teacher one of these mugs).

What I'm saying is the maximum any parent spent was perhaps £10. Which was ample.

I'd boycott the ridiculous whip-round, give the teacher a bottle of wine and get your child to produce a hand made card thanking their teacher (from my experience, if your child includes a few words saying why they've enjoyed the year it'll make the teacher's heart melt a darned sight more than a John Lewis voucher).
  • eriphyle
    eriphyle Posts: 15 Forumite
    A significant bonus in the form of vouchers paid for by parents fearing for their child? Where do I start?

I'm a teacher and a parent.

I've never seen this either in the state or private sector. I consider it an abuse of position and as such, administering it should be a disciplinary offence. Why? Putting a child in such an anxious position over fearing not making the contribution is at best bullying both towards the child and the parent, extortion at worst. Additionally, specifically asking for JL vouchers smacks of crass entitlement which suggests that this teacher has no understanding of her role or what constitutes appropriate professional behaviour.

I'm sure the headteacher, the PTA and the Governors would be delighted to comment especially after you email your local Ed Auth and the Press.

Don't be bullied, don't pay. Speak immediately first to the headteacher.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure