Compensation from tfl

Yesterday my son and girlfriend were delayed between ilford and Stratford on their way to stansted a train broke down ahead of them they were trapped on the train behind and an hour later on their way at great expense to stansted arriving an hour late and incurring extra cost to be transferred to a later plan.
What's the process for claiming compensation or is it a no hope situation?
It pays to challenge

Comments

• thelawnet
    thelawnet Posts: 2,576
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    They should have allowed more than an hour spare at the airport!

Were they on the Central Line? TFL's liability will be the couple of quid the ticket cost.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/tickets/refunds/tuberefund/

Not for a new flight!
  • sabelu
    sabelu Posts: 1,155
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 23 October 2012 at 12:38PM
    Here I have the full and correct details from my son and would appreciate your thoughts once again.

They were bound for Gatwick via London Bridge and it was a Greater Anglia service between Ilford and Stratford which was stuck for about 45 minutes behind a faulty train or signalling fault, before it was reversed to another station and they were forced to walk 15 minutes to Stratford. They consequently missed 2 FCC trains to Gatwick making them over an hour and a half late getting to the airport and missed the flight. As they had checked in online it seems to me they left plenty of time. Still not liable?
    It pays to challenge
  • Faith177
    Faith177 Posts: 2,927
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I don't think it would be tfl you might have to contact Greater Anglia as they run that line.

On their webiste under compensation it states -

If your journey with us is delayed between 30 and 59 minutes, you may claim compensation under our 'Delay Repay' scheme irrespective of what caused the delay. Please note: We are not obliged to pay compensation for journeys delayed by circumstances outside of our control, such as adverse weather conditions.
    We will pay you compensation to the value of at least 50% of the cost of a single ticket, or 50% of the cost of either the outward or return portion of a return ticket. In the case of season tickets, the compensation will be calculated using the proportional daily cost of the price of the ticket.
    If your journey is delayed by 60 minutes or more, we will double the amount you receive.
    Compensation will normally be paid in National Rail Travel Vouchers, which can be used as payment for (or part payment towards) any future rail journey or seat reservation. These vouchers may not be used online to purchase tickets. Season Direct customers will be re-imbursed through their Season Direct account.

However that line was totally up the spout yesterday and today due to signalling works so really I think your son and his girlfriend will have to join the queue.
    First Date 08/11/2008, Moved In Together 01/06/2009, Engaged 01/01/10, Wedding Day 27/04/2013, Baby Moshie due 29/06/2019 :T
  • thelawnet
    Forumite
    They are simply not liable for missing the flight.

What rail tickets did they have? From where to where?
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,198
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Can they claim on their holiday insurance?
  • redux
    redux Posts: 22,976
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 23 October 2012 at 1:41PM
    I think this sort of thing comes under travel insurance, if it covers missed departures and so on.

Missing the flight might cost someone else thousands of pounds in lost business, but the rail company is not responsible for consequential losses, and even travel insurance would only cover replacing the flight.

In the same way, if someone is travelling to the airport by car, they have no claim against the parties in an accident which causes a jam on the motorway.
  • sabelu
    sabelu Posts: 1,155
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Thanks for all your feedback. They have contacted Greater Anglia Rail and will proceed down that route, which is bound to take a while. I'll let you know how it turns out for future reference.

In answer to your questions:
    There's no travel insurance unfortunately.
    Their tickets for this journey were an oyster card and a single from Ilford to stratford. They have obviously kept the FCC tickets they later used to get to Gatwick.
    It pays to challenge
  • thelawnet
    Forumite
    If the Ilford - Stratford train is delayed (cost £2.50), GA are still liable for the entire journey delay up to Gatwick - presumably about £20 in total.
  • sabelu wrote: »
    Here I have the full and correct details from my son and would appreciate your thoughts once again.

They were bound for Gatwick via London Bridge and it was a Greater Anglia service between Ilford and Stratford which was stuck for about 45 minutes behind a faulty train or signalling fault, before it was reversed to another station and they were forced to walk 15 minutes to Stratford. They consequently missed 2 FCC trains to Gatwick making them over an hour and a half late getting to the airport and missed the flight. As they had checked in online it seems to me they left plenty of time. Still not liable?

Dont mean to be a !!!!! but over an hour and a half late for their flight means they left themselves 30 mins to board the plane at gatwick. Normally people get to the airport a good hour or so before thier flight.

But as others have said GA are liable for the fare to Gatwick and nothing else.
    "If you no longer go for a gap, you are no longer a racing driver" - Ayrton Senna
  • keystone
    keystone Posts: 10,916 Forumite
    Agree irrespective of anything else they didn't leave themselves enough time and travel delays should be expected and planned for. The compo culture in this country these days is maddening. If I were the parent I'd be telling them tough - let that be a lesson to you. Unfortunately GA will pay out as they are required to do and OP and son will feel vindicated.

Cheers
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits. - Einstein
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure