Mortgage after IVA

Comments

• didaiva
    didaiva Posts: 61 Forumite
    Thank you, yes my details are now off the insolvency register and have been for the past year. After I get my deposit together I'll try Nationwide then.
  • didaiva wrote: »
    Thank you, yes my details are now off the insolvency register and have been for the past year. After I get my deposit together I'll try Nationwide then.

I'm in a similar position - IVA came off public records and CRAs, along with defaults, in January this year. BUT, most mortgage applications specifically ask if you have ever been BR or IVA - obviously the advice is to be honest but in theory, nobody would know..but if you want to take that chance and risk going to the big house, that's up to you..

As Vicki has stated, there do appear to be lenders out there who will consider IVA/BR that are 12+ months post discharge..
    Never argue with an idiot. Especially not this idiot because I'm always right anyway.
  • giblet10 wrote: »
    in theory, nobody would know..but if you want to take that chance and risk going to the big house, that's up to you..

As Vicki has stated, there do appear to be lenders out there who will consider IVA/BR that are 12+ months post discharge..

Personally I'd not want to take the chance, hence looking for a lender who would consider people who have been in a iva in the past but does not penalise them with higher interest rates.

I think I'd be more concerned about a CIFAS marker than going to the big house though, as one of them will result in no bank touching you even for a basic account.
  • didaiva wrote: »
    Personally I'd not want to take the chance, hence looking for a lender who would consider people who have been in a iva in the past but does not penalise them with higher interest rates.

I think I'd be more concerned about a CIFAS marker than going to the big house though, as one of them will result in no bank touching you even for a basic account.

My sentiments exactly.
    Never argue with an idiot. Especially not this idiot because I'm always right anyway.
  • I just asked the Lloyds TSB advisor on the phone if being in a IVA in the past would stop me getting a mortgage after the 6 years and they said no. :-)

So not all bad news.
  • Hi there,

Could anyone please advise if they have been granted a mortgage after the 6th year please?

The 6th anniversary of my IVA is in 2 weeks and hope to move as soon as we can.

Thanks in advance.
  • Foxy-Stoat_3
    Foxy-Stoat_3 Posts: 2,980 Forumite
    Hi peoples

My final payment on my IVA was Feb 2010, got the completion certificate dated Aug 2010, got a mortgage in May 2011 with a 22% deposit via a whole market broker thru a high street BS that dealth with brokers at a very reasonable 5% interest rate with normal set up fees, coming up to our first year of mortgage payments....looking forward to seeing the statement that says we have paid nearly 8K in with probably 1.2K capital paid off. And who says renting was dead money !!!!

Before the broker got us that deal, the one previous was 25% minimum down, £2,500 set up fees to be paid up front and the rate we were first looking at was 8%.

Unless the market has changed at all, I'd say 10% deposit will not be enough.

I would take a look at your credit file and save up 20% of the purchase price plus a few more thousand for fees, surveying costs and broker fees before you start looking to buy for the first time.
    "Dream World" by The B Sharps....describes a lot of the posts in the Loans and Mortgage sections !!!
  • Thanks for the info, I do have 20%+ deposit already so fingers crossed.
  • Hi, I started an iva in 2006 and completed with a full and final settlement in 2008. I have just applied for a mortgage as it dropped off my report in April and have a decision in principle for a larger amount than expected from the Halifax who did not ask if I have ever been bankrupt or had an iva in the application process. Good luck!
  • Foxy-Stoat_3
    Foxy-Stoat_3 Posts: 2,980 Forumite
    Hi, I started an iva in 2006 and completed with a full and final settlement in 2008. I have just applied for a mortgage as it dropped off my report in April and have a decision in principle for a larger amount than expected from the Halifax who did not ask if I have ever been bankrupt or had an iva in the application process. Good luck!

I would look closely at the application form before you sign on the dotted line!
    "Dream World" by The B Sharps....describes a lot of the posts in the Loans and Mortgage sections !!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure