Stamp duty error

Hi, I’m new to the site so hope I’m putting this in the right place! We moved house just over a year ago, and have just received a letter from the solicitor who did both our house sale and purchase saying when they sent ya a cheque for the remaining balance after the house sale, they miscalculated and never deducted the stamp duty fees, and we therefore owe them £618!!!

I’m just wondering if anyone knows where we stand on paying this back, as surely it’s their error, and also they’ve waited over a year to bring it to our attention!!

Any advice appreciated, thanks in advance

Comments

• BoGoF
    BoGoF Posts: 6,968
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Not sure why you on this board but.......you can ask them why it wasn't settled at the time but ultimately it is your liability.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    They have 6 years to chase it, so they well within time limits.

If you can't afford it in one go, speak to them about paying in installments, but I try to get it paid as soon as possible.
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 14 October 2019 at 5:57PM
    Jensav wrote: »
    Hi, I’m new to the site so hope I’m putting this in the right place!

Well no, since this is for PPI and insurances !!
    You could post on the house buying and renting forum but I'll tell you now what the answer will be, its a debt and you owe it.

I bet you'd be screaming blue murder if the position was reversed, the solicitor had underpaid you and they said "nyah nyah a years elapsed and tough luck we're keeping it".

You can always plead poverty and ask to pay it in installments with something off for the inconvenience (.... of having £618 for free for a year)
  • My mistake, I’m new! Just saw it said “mortgage fees” so thought it was the correct forum
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure