Child Tax Credits landline number (instead of the expensive 0845 number they give)

I was just reading a thread about the CTC fiasco that happens each September for school leavers and their families and noticed that many people are dialling the 0845 number supplied by HMRC for the CTC helpline. Considering the amount of time you have to spend trudging through the menus, the waffle and being kept on hold it might be a good idea to dial the cheaper (check your tariff first) land line number which is 02890538192 ... in fact all HMRC depts have landline numbers as do many companies but they don't want to advertise this fact so why not try Googling the site say no to 0870 - sorry I am new and am not allowed to post the link- the next time you are given a premium rate number to dial (they cover 0500,0800,0808,0844,0845,0870 and 0871 numbers) I hope this helps somebody :)

Comments

• Sheri
    Sheri Posts: 9 Forumite
    Hi

This comment is purely regarding the 0845 number.

0845 means 'Local Rate'. This means it costs the same to dial as though you were calling from the building next door. Therefore, it is not cheaper to ring 02890 if you do NOT live in the same dial code area. If you live in in 02890 it make no difference whether you dial 02890 or 0845.

Regards
  • To_be_Free
    To_be_Free Posts: 123 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 5 September 2010 at 10:18AM
    Sheri wrote: »
    Hi

This comment is purely regarding the 0845 number.

0845 means 'Local Rate'. This means it costs the same to dial as though you were calling from the building next door. Therefore, it is not cheaper to ring 02890 if you do NOT live in the same dial code area. If you live in in 02890 it make no difference whether you dial 02890 or 0845.

Regards

This all depends what call package and what phone company you are with, on Virgin an 0845 number costs 10p per minute and is not included in their free calls package where as an 01,02 & 03 are included.

ClareSelina I will add the link for you as it is a very useful site. http://www.saynoto0870.com/
    :laugh:
    Free at last
  • HappyMJ
    HappyMJ Posts: 21,115 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    The annoying thing about ringing Tax Credits on it's landline number is that if all the lines are busy it will hang up on you. If you dial the 0845 number it will put you on hold.... I ended up holding for 30 minutes. So you have to find a landline to make the call to Tax Credits.

Sheri, the cost of the call makes a huge difference from a mobile. 02 numbers are included in plan (i.e free) while all 08 numbers are charged for.
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • Thanks for this phone number, I've been trying to get through to the tax credits office for the last 4 days to advise a change of circumstance and have yet to be connected to a human (lost count of the number of times I've tried). Does anyone know what is going on?
  • I've been trying to ring them now for a week.They NEVER answer.
    I ve been really panicking about how much money it costs to ring them. 45p a min on my phone. I don't have a landline nor know anyone who does.
    The reason most people who claim tax credits do so because they are on very limited incomes.
    Ringing them has cost me over £10 in the last 2 days alone. Money that should have spent on my kids.
    So thank you for the landline number as its free on my tarifff :T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport