Money Moral Dilemma: Should I drink the milk?

12345679»

Comments

• pineapple
    pineapple Posts: 6,931 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    rwgray wrote: »
    I'd pour all the milk into a big cardboard box and mail it special delivery back to the Dairy with a little gift card attached. But then I'm mad as a fish.

And I vote this the best answer. Seriously so many people are getting their knickers in a twist over this, I wonder how they cope with everyday life. Seriously.
  • angeltoad
    angeltoad Posts: 43 Forumite
    My mother has had lots of trouble with the milkmen. They are not the friendly stalwart of British culture they used to be. They seem to come and leave what they want and demand money for it, which is often an arbitrary amount with no consistency (6 bottles of semi in one week - £4.37??) whatsoever, and also at odds with teh badly printed price list she once got. She has been left milk which is already sour, been charged for things that we never saw but he claimed he had left, and finally we discovered his company was not registered, yet he had a milk float and was selling stuff from a major dairy. It seems like the milkmen today make their own rules and extort money from pensioners as they will inour experience. I am sure this cannot be the case for all milkmen, but after 2 years of trying to reason and sort it out, and support the traditional service, we have gone back to the supermarket, who at least also sell organic milk, which he did not.
    Some milk persons out there might be upset by what I have written, but I just re-emphasise that this is just our experience, and that being left stuff you did not ask for sounds very familiar.... Watch out. With regard to the person's particular query, I would tell the buy that you just do not want his services as the supermarket is cheaper, and leave it at that. Don't take the milk in, do not pay for it, just put a note on it and say that you won't be requiring any and this must have been a mistake. If you take it in of course he will charge you for it, as technically you have accepted it. If it goes off on the doorstep, it is his loss not yours. Once yo accept it he is likely to want money for it, and once he knows that you do pay up, you might be paying up regularly like my mother was.
  • John_Pierpoint
    John_Pierpoint Posts: 8,391 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    angeltoad wrote: »
    We discovered his company was not registered, yet he had a milk float and was selling stuff from a major dairy.

The milkman is probably a franchisee these days - Does one need to register to be a door to door salesman?
    Regrettably ripping off pensioners seems to be fair game these days (though there is a problem with elderly pensioners not knowing the day of the week let alone what they ordered a fortnight ago)
    When my mother got ripped off by a door to door salesman flogging "black" fish; the sympathetic response I got from Trading Standards was "he is a self employed business man and his place of business in the back doors of his van" - ie Let the buyer beware.

I find most semi skimmed freezes OK so it can be bought cheap from a supermarket and used from the freezer.
    However if an elderly pensioner benefits from regular visits from a trustworthy person that is another argument.
  • e29891
    e29891 Posts: 1 Newbie
    go for it! i work at a dairy and when the canvassers go out to get new calls they sometimes fib a bit! the dairy wont charge you for milk as you would have had to sign a form to start with. i would inform the dairy though of what has happened as the canvasssers get paid for all calls that are continued to be served!
    Hope this helps.
  • gaily
    gaily Posts: 190 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    The scary thing is what's happening to the milk while we're all talking about it.

Lumpy stale milk going back to the dairy methinks - Erlgh
    Always on the hunt for a bargain. :rolleyes:

Always grateful for any hints, tips or guidance as to where the best deals are:smileyhea
  • Kiko4564
    Kiko4564 Posts: 217 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I would put an ice pack around it.
  • Kiko4564
    Kiko4564 Posts: 217 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    pineapple wrote: »
    And I vote this the best answer. Seriously so many people are getting their knickers in a twist over this, I wonder how they cope with everyday life. Seriously.
    I would use the container it came in to send it back, if I could do it for free of course!
  • Drink the milk, its yours! Legally, if you didnt order it, you are under no obligation to do anything other than drink it. Distance selling rules apply to this scenario just in the same way as unsolicited mail.
  • Yep the good old Unsolicited Goods and Services Act 1971, says any goods or services provided by anyone does so at there own risk as once delivered the goods are yours with out needing as its an offence to ask for payment for anything that "unsolicited", and these milk bottles are.
  • roaminn
    roaminn Posts: 8 Forumite
    We had a similar dilema. We had a 'pants' milkman who kept getting delivery wrong (ie no milk when we ordered it) - milk delivered when we didn't order.

Eventually cancelled the order altogether. ~Following week Woke up to find 2 x Organic semi-skimmed pints on my doorstep. Investigated and found it was for my next door neighbour (see, told you the milkman was 'pants') - although she reported it to the dairy, he kept on delivering her milk to us for 2 weeks.

This is similar to the window cleaner dilema - if the milkman can't read your house number and you haven't asked for milk - it's not your problem but his. Someone will complain that they haven't had milk delivered - eventually.

So ENJOY :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport