Child Maintenance over payment

Options
I received a letter today dated 30th October saying that I no longer have to pay for my child be cause he is no longer a "qualifying young person" the letter states that it is from 1st September almost 2 months ago!
I have a direct payment to the childs mother which was set up by the csa but they did not take the money, I have no contact with either the child or mother ( not through the want of trying!!) and the csa forwarded her bank details to me, I rang the csa today to say how to I get back my 2 months over payment seeing as their letter is 2 months after the end date and they said they cannot get involved as it is a direct payment agreement and i must contact the mother who i have no idea where they are.
Are the csa right to do this? I know its only a few hundred pounds but surely they cannot send a letter out saying payments should have stopped 2 months ago then say tough there is nothing they can do to help reclaim it?

Comments

• McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,823 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Surely you should be checking stuff like this yourself on the run up to your child becoming an 'adult' as such not relying on a goverment body to tell youu.
    If you can find her, sue her, otherwise destress and move on
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • Rayb73
    Rayb73 Posts: 5 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    I was to the best I could, he turned 19 in August but like i said i have no idea where he is or what he is doing, I did think I would be paying until he is 20 though. Already moved on from it as the money has been paid so over that now, my main gripe is the fact that the csa leave it so let to notify people and then offer no support not even a sorry.
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,823 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Glad youve moved on.
    I find it sad you have no contact with your son and indeed him with his dad. Hopefully it will happen in the future . Good luck.

Just think of the look on ex s face when she realised her money was stopped x
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • DUTR
    DUTR Posts: 12,958 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Rayb73 wrote: »
    I was to the best I could, he turned 19 in August but like i said i have no idea where he is or what he is doing, I did think I would be paying until he is 20 though. Already moved on from it as the money has been paid so over that now, my main gripe is the fact that the csa leave it so let to notify people and then offer no support not even a sorry.

Just get on with your own life, I had no contact with the offspring for many years, CSA finished on time and I stopped the payments, more recently offspring has been in touch and we have met up, as it happens they are on the right road and are a nice person, they know what they needed to know and that I won't be bullied.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure