Wrong replacement part sold abroad (EU)

I needed to replace a (sort of) expensive electronic component. The device was made abroad (in EU) and the replacement part was not available from a UK dealer. So I visited a dealer in the country where the manufacturer is based (no, they do not outsource to China and I do speak the language) and bought a replacement part.

Upon returning home I came to the dealer in the UK to get it installed... Just to find to my embarrassment that I was sold wrong component which was clearly not made for my device.

It probably meant to be "a generic compatible" rather than "original" replacement. Except that it was not.

I've paid by a UK credit card. The price was over £100.

The store return policy is "8 days no quibble guarantee" , which have past since then as I have been abroad for some time...

The part I bought is in new condition - the dealer has not attempted to install it as it was evident it won't fit.

I would like a full refund as I was sold wrong item while being reassured that it is the one I need by the seller.

I did contact the seller and haven't got any reply yet.

I am wondering if in the present circumstances I am entitled to chargeback? or even section 75?

Comments

• agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    You probably would be covered by S75 if you can persuade your card issuer that the wrong item was sold. However, I think at this stage you are better to wait to hear from the seller to see if they will simply replace with the correct item.
  • Emily_Joy
    Emily_Joy Posts: 1,230 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    I have got in touch with the shop. They requested that I sent item back to them, which I dutifully did. They also requested the original receipt (by phone call). I took a photo of the receipt before sending it.

The shop refused to give a refund based on the fact that they believe a part is missing, but they can't explain what part is missing neither they can confirm it has been there at first place and I am certain I haven't taken the whole thing out of the plastic bag it was packed in... By coincidence, it was a zipped bag, not a sealed one.

I have submitted a request to the card issuer under S75 and received a letter saying the transaction is now in dispute and they will get in touch if they need any further information.

How long the transaction can be hold in dispute? Is there any time frame?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure