Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MadeofSteel
    • By MadeofSteel 9th Nov 18, 11:00 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    MadeofSteel
    Dilemma......
    • 9th Nov 18, 11:00 AM
    Dilemma...... 9th Nov 18 at 11:00 AM
    Good morning,
    My first post and could really do with a little help and advice on my upcoming redundancy please.
    I am being made redundant as of early next month and I had my HR consultation beginning of this week, my pay with all the adding everything together will be just shy of 24k.
    Although they have now told me that they are looking to keep one member of staff and would I be interested? Now they haven't as yet come up with a way of how it will all work as it is yet to be finalised.
    So, my dilemma should you be able to kindly advise is this,.
    Would you be inclined to take redundancy (hell of a lot of money for me) and look for another job?
    Or would you wait and see how things go?
    How does it all work? If I stay will I still be paid whilst things are being finalised?
    My head is muddled with it all, and I'm not sleeping properly, never been in this position in my life! (Redundancy)

What would be the Pros/Cons?
    Many Thanks
Page 1
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 9th Nov 18, 12:22 PM
    • 33,479 Posts
    • 20,229 Thanks
    getmore4less
    • 9th Nov 18, 12:22 PM
    • 9th Nov 18, 12:22 PM
    pros
    you keep a job and continue to accrue service.
    you cash in your service and move on.

Cons.
    you stay and they just go bust or reduce payouts(if enhanced)
    you go and can't find another job and the money just runs out..

As long as the new job is offered and starts within 4 weeks before you finish you are not redundant

In practice many places just carry on drop the redundancy and sort out the new job like they would with any other internal job change.

I would be wanting to know some basics like will it be paying the same is it something I can and want to do if different from the current job etc.

Bigger picture is the place doing OK and worth staying, as places wind down the last ones out are often paid nothing and have to make a claim
    • micky2phones
    • By micky2phones 9th Nov 18, 1:27 PM
    • 353 Posts
    • 283 Thanks
    micky2phones
    • 9th Nov 18, 1:27 PM
    • 9th Nov 18, 1:27 PM
    Hi, if you do stay on please make sure its not a new contract thats breaks your service.

When i worked they did make some people redundant paid them off and started them back on at a lower rate.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

492Posts Today

5,303Users online

Martin's Twitter