Dyson V8 or Shark?

Options
Alisha2008
Alisha2008 Posts: 1,155 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
We've decided to replace our Miele vacuum cleaner which is > 15 years old and we like the idea of the cordless ones, especially to do the stairs. Reading reviews it looks the best one is the Dyson Absolute V8 but at almost £400 is a bit expensive, but then the Shark also gets really good reviews at half the price (and it comes with 2 batteries).

Any opinions about these 2?
Thanks!

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Ive got the Shark True pet (corded). Its the best vacuum ive ever had.
  • tizerbelle
    tizerbelle Posts: 1,826 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'd suggest if at all possible, you go to a store and hold the vacuum cleaners as if you were using them for a minute or so. In use, because your hand (the bit between thumb and forefinger) ends up pressed against the top of the handle if they are angular in design can result in being very uncomfortable to use. We have 3 cordless in the house (don't ask!) A Dyson V6, a VAX Slimline and a Morphy Richards SuperVac SleekPro. The Morphy has a curved handle and is so much more comfortable to use than the others whose handles are squarer.
  • OnTheLadder
    Options
    We have recently bought the Dyson V8 Animal Cordless. Works so well for us as 1. Easy to store 2. Works on different floor types (wooden, carpet, tiles) 3. Very lightweight and easy to use (pets so we hoover everyday) 4. Picks up pet hair and mess. Overall, I'd highly recommend although it was expensive. Rather than being a chore now, hoovering is just a 5 minute job (but then, we don't have a huge house). Only downside I can see is that it takes ages to charge, and only lasts about 40 mins so if you have a large house it may need multiple charges. But in our 2 bed house we probably charge less than once a week and hoover everyday. I would also advise as above, going into store to test them out. We were originally going to get the V6 but just preferred the feel of the V8 so much more when we were there. Then look for deals online/cashback sites etc.
  • Lauralou79
    Options
    I’ve just got a shark cordless, not one of the most expensive ones, was one of the cheaper of its ranges. Best hoover I’ve had. There’s only two of us and no pets but it’s amazing what it picks up.
  • A_Wright-Burke
    Options
    A V8 for me but on Max suction it lasts about 7 minutes but with two kids and the youngest being a walking crumb machine, it is just so convenient.
    Obviously using plates would be my preferred choice though! ;-)
  • jessy-eve
    Options
    Had a V8 since September - it's amazing! Can do a deep clean well and is so easy and convenient to grab during the week!
    #27 - Save 12K in 20189£/£ :T
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I know it's neither of the ones you've asked about, but the Vax Blade 32v got excellent reviews with Which, and it's currently on offer for £179.99 on their website, and £169.99 on Amazon. I'm currently saving up for one myself :)
  • martinsurrey
    martinsurrey Posts: 3,368 Forumite
    Options
    daisleybur wrote: »
    I know it's neither of the ones you've asked about, but the Vax Blade 32v got excellent reviews with Which, and it's currently on offer for £179.99 on their website, and £169.99 on Amazon. I'm currently saving up for one myself :)

I've got a Vax Blade 32v and its the business, and at that price, you cant complain.
  • Alisha2008
    Alisha2008 Posts: 1,155 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Many thanks for all the opinions, I've checked the vax and reviews are quite good. We went to Currys this weekend to look a the Dyson/Shark but they were stupidly expensive, some dysons were > £500!!

Our house is quite big (combination of laminate+carpets) but it's only the 2 of us and no pets, so I think the vax might be enough...
  • dw14
    dw14 Posts: 31 Forumite
    Options
    Shark, every time. We've shown our shark to loads of friends who had Dysons and they got rid and got a shark when Dyson needed replaced.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure