Sky TV retention deals ( post your haggling successes )

Comments

• mstar
    mstar Posts: 269 Forumite
    Hello All,

i have just enquired about cancelling my sky services as the costs where getting to high for me and i was thinking switching with virgin. I wanted to cancel and get those 50% off deals but unfortunately i have 3 months to go on my TV services.

I was persistent in cancelling due to cost reasons to a sky cancellations person, but they gave me this offer below I am currently paying £51.69 old sky box hd, old router.

Fibre optic (unlimited 38mb)
    free Sky Q 2tb
    free Sky mini box
    multiroom £12

all together £80 per month keeping my existing sky packages.

(+ cost of installation $60)
    What do you think as a offer as my tv services still 3 months away from contract end.
  • mije1983
    mije1983 Posts: 3,665 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    You haven't mentioned your existing package so can't tell if the deal is good or not.
  • mstar
    For TV i have the BoxSets bundle (350 Sky Box Sets plus over 50 channels in HD).
    and Unlimited broadband and phone. bread down below

Box Sets £38.00
    Viewing Subscription Discounted - £9.50

Sky Broadband Unlimited £10.00
    Broadband Subscription Discounted - £2.00

Sky Talk Line Rental £18.99
    Sky Talk Line Rental Discounted - £3.80

Total = 51.69
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,507 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    mstar wrote: »
    For TV i have the BoxSets bundle (350 Sky Box Sets plus over 50 channels in HD).
    and Unlimited broadband and phone. bread down below

Box Sets £38.00
    Viewing Subscription Discounted - £9.50

Sky Broadband Unlimited £10.00
    Broadband Subscription Discounted - £2.00

Sky Talk Line Rental £18.99
    Sky Talk Line Rental Discounted - £3.80

Total = 51.69

I'm confused - your first post says that £51.69 pm is too much ...yet you are asking if ~ £80 pm is a good deal ????
    Why not wait until you are out of min. term THEN negotiate ??
  • you have 3 months to go.. dont accept the 1st offer.
    you wont get teh best deal until you cancel.
    Not when your threatening to cancel.
    So around 30 days notice period, make sure your account is marked for cancellation. Then wait for sky to call you to make an offer.
    Consider just keeping the TV element & take your broadband & phone elsewhere if it works out cheaper
  • tracynikol wrote: »
    has anyone had an issue with sky concerning new contracts 2 weeks ago I received an email saying i had entered a new contract for my sky phone/internet....I called and I disputed it and they claimed I had agreed via the Sky box I had not even been on sky services via my box ...total lie...I managed to stop the renewal they were trying to tie me into another 12 months...wind forward 2 weeks 2am in morning I receive an email claiming on bank holiday Monday at 1pm I had gone on the internet and agreed to an 18 month what really odd is I was not even around a computer at 1pm ....So today Tuesday I called them and again they claim I did it but via my computer on my account again was not even around computer at 1pm yesterday or even at home... speaking to someone they called it slamming can someone explain this to me? and also has anyone else had this issue ....Since January the have over charged added sky multi room when I own just one box was charged for 3 months there mistake also..

erm, I think you better change your sky login password promptly!
  • mstar
    thanks problem is i had major work done downstairs when i moved into this new house. So i had sky connected in the bedroom. Now i have 2 rooms with new tv's which have no sky tv downstairs. I could get a local guy to put it downstairs or go virgin route which seems attractive because of price. Hence why i called Sky to explore cancelling (hope they give me a good offer). Unfortunately my TV has still 3 months to go but broadband and phone are up.

Wife and kids are annoyed no tv lol
  • ratechaser
    ratechaser Posts: 1,674 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    OK, job done for me for another 18 months.

Was paying £79/month for full TV package (movies/sports/HD) plus 3 multi rooms.

Switched to Q - 2TB box plus 3 miniboxes - now down to £55/month plus £60 install fee.

I suspect I could have held out for a bit more given that this is 'only' a 50% base discount, but I took the bird in the hand, as it's still £24 less a month than I'm currently on. Happy enough, and means I've lopped about £90 off my monthly costs across Sky/Virgin/BT Sport/Vodafone in the last week :beer:
  • mstar
    good job ratechaser!!! well done. I take it you was out of contract?

I didn't get a good offer but i will try again. As for £50 per month
  • Well I just crashed and burned. I guess I never played the game of "I'm going to quit". I'm 'only' on the £32 variety package.

Any tactics for how to get some kind of discount? Their only option was to drop the kids TV channels. Do I need to get to retentions by threating to quit?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback