Transferring AppleCare+ invalidates the warranty??

Hi all,

I had AppleCare+ for an Iphone 6s I bought in the US almost 2 years ago.
At the beginning of the year that phone was stolen, so insurance replaced it with a new IPhone.
I've just noticed a crack across the corner of the new phone, so I was hoping to get it fixed using the AppleCare.
When I rang up to ask, they said AppleCare was linked to the original phone, so I'd need to transfer it to the new phone, but there were only 57 days left on the AppleCare, and if I transferred it, that would replace the 200+ days I still had left on the normal warranty on my new phone.

Is that allowed? I thought AppleCare was an extra insurance on top of the manufacturer's warranty, surely they can't get out of fixing defects that pop up in the first year??

Thanks in advance for any advice :)

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    mightyjojo wrote: »
    Hi all,

I had AppleCare+ for an Iphone 6s I bought in the US almost 2 years ago.
    At the beginning of the year that phone was stolen, so insurance replaced it with a new IPhone.
    I've just noticed a crack across the corner of the new phone, so I was hoping to get it fixed using the AppleCare.
    When I rang up to ask, they said AppleCare was linked to the original phone, so I'd need to transfer it to the new phone, but there were only 57 days left on the AppleCare, and if I transferred it, that would replace the 200+ days I still had left on the normal warranty on my new phone.

Is that allowed? I thought AppleCare was an extra insurance on top of the manufacturer's warranty, surely they can't get out of fixing defects that pop up in the first year??

Thanks in advance for any advice :)

Limited warranty is a legal requirement by law and can't be invalidated when you use Apple Care to replace a cracked screen. You have been given the wrong information.

i spoke with their customer service online and was told this

If the AppleCare coverage ended during the first year that you have the new phone, it would still be under the limited warranty for the rest of that first year also.

Are you completely sure that the phone given to you is a brand new device and Apple have confirmed this?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure