Everything is possible if you try!

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Thank you so much for takng the time to do the recipe , will be making this weekend.

As for treats my way of thinking is and it is not an excuse, after the debt is paid off I would like to carry on in the same style as I have whilst paying debts off . I think if you go mad and chuck all your money at debt and never have a treat you could soon become fed up. For me this way is more real , I am learning to budget for spends and once it's gone it's gone . It may take me longer to pay off but I am happy with this.

Hope this helps you .
  • NelliePie
    NelliePie Posts: 280 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I'd just like to echo what everyone else is saying - this is a marathon, not a sprint. You've made some great progress so far and the key thing is that it's sustainable. You can't throw everything penny at the debt and not allow yourself to live because you can't carry on like that. Finding a balance that you can maintain is important because when the debt is gone you can use that money for savings and enjoying life some more. If you budget for treats now you won't feel the need to go crazy when the debt is paid off. This isn't just about getting out of debt now, its about adjusting you habits and attitude towards money now so you can benefit in the future.

On another note, I too will be using your risotto recipe.

Well done Tea :)
    Little One born 19/12/18
    5/5/18 I became Mrs Pie
    FTB June '17 - £144k mortgage, £134k remaining
  • NelliePie wrote: »
    ..... the key thing is that it's sustainable. .... Finding a balance that you can maintain is important because when the debt is gone you can use that money for savings and enjoying life some more.
    As for treats my way of thinking is and it is not an excuse, after the debt is paid off I would like to carry on in the same style as I have whilst paying debts off .

Thankyou both so much for this. It ties in nicely with what I was thinking, which is why I have included entertainment and allowed for the odd meal out in my monthly budget. I think the key is going to be finding the balance after having been a little too frivolous and carefree for so long.
    Thank you so much for taking the time to do the recipe , will be making this weekend.
    NelliePie wrote: »
    On another note, I too will be using your risotto recipe.
    Hope you both enjoy!
    #Frugal February : NSDs Target =16
    Started here on 07 September 2017: Total:[STRIKE] £20,521[/STRIKE] £19847
    Barclaycard: [STRIKE]£14659[/STRIKE] £14435 Oct 2017 HSBC Credit Card : [STRIKE]£3112[/STRIKE] £3012 Oct 2017
    Overdraft: [STRIKE]350[/STRIKE] £0 Oct2017 MBNA : 2400
    A journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step. I'm on my way!
  • EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,372 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Austerity October sounds like a sensible thing - is that a challenge on here or somewhere else?

Talking of things that sound good - that risotto....Mmmmm! I'm guessing it would also be delicious if you mix up the flavours a bit by substituting ordinary oil for smoked, and the honey for a smoked paprika or something along those lines...that's got me thinking, now! (See this is why I'm useless at following a proper recipe - I'm constantly thinking ahead to what I could move it on to, and the original dish never gets cooked at all! :rotfl:)

As for the question of spending/not spending on entertainment type stuff - it's about finding a balance that works for you, and particularly when there are children involved, it's not always practical to not spend out anything in that area. Down the line you might feel you want to cut it a bit more - but that's one to see about as you go along - as you say it will all feel harsher than it might as you've cut back so much on the frivolous spending anyway.

You're doing fine and making great progress - I always reckon the first few months is as much about changing mindsets and habits, as it is about actually pay off hard cash!
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • Hi EH!
    I know what you mean about recipes. I change them about quite a lot to suit personal tastes. I like the thought of the smoked paprika in it... might try it this evening while cooking! I have a tendency to chuck in some garlic in things like this too. In fact, garlic gets into most things here.
    Kitty is 17, so while I haven't gone into any detail, I have told her that we will be cutting back on luxuries and meals out (as that seems to be relatively easy to cut out) to save money for future adventures. She's old enough to understand that. In fact, she went through some old recipe cards from when Sainsbos did their Meals for a fiver recipe cards. (Probably a bit more than that now with price increases, but a good place to start I thought!)

I'm going for the mindset and habits change. Only a month in so far so I must stay positive!
    Barclaycard: [STRIKE]£14659[/STRIKE] £14435 Oct 2017 HSBC Credit Card : [STRIKE]£3112[/STRIKE] £3012 Oct 2017
  • Oh, and austerity october is the NST Organise October on the DFW challenges!
  • DebtFreeDuo
    DebtFreeDuo Posts: 1,021 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    You're making great progress and I couldn't agree more with the others. I know how you feel about it being slow, I can't make any extra payments for a few months now and feel like there is no point reporting but keeping this updated is what is keeping me on track I think. Stay positive and if you are feeling like you need a little kick or a reminder then post here and I'm sure someone will be around to give you some positivity and a little motivation to keep going and stick at it but at the same time not judge in any way as we have all been there.
    Change the way you see things and the things you see will change
  • Thanks for stopping by, Duo! I'm trying to get into a regular habit of posting here so that if the wheels fall off I'll feel comfortable to come and say so rather than hiding my head in the sand ('cause look where that got me!)

In other news ... *annoyance*. I need to revisit this month's budget as Kitty has arrived home with a letter about an art trip to That There London on Friday. This is £45, plus child will need food for all day. They're leaving just after 6 am, and won't get back til late, so will require breakfast, lunch and evening food also. Could have done without this, but should be able to figure it out with a bit of jiggling. Probably adjust the amount going to savings.
  • Letter today for trip on Friday??? That's not helpful in the planning department....
    Outstanding mortgage: £23,181 (December 19)
    MFW 2020 Challenge Member #10 0/£2318
  • EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,372 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    This sort of behaviour from schools makes me really cross - I honestly wish that parents would fight back more against this sort of thing - it's utterly unreasonable to expect you to come up with that sort of money, plus food, at that notice. It needs enough parents to gang together and ALL respond by saying "Sorry - we need at least 30 days clear notice of that sort of trip to allow for budgeting for it" though. how on earth are parents supposed to teach their children about budgeting and managing their money if schools imagine that this is reasonable?! Grrr! :mad:

Agree with your about throwing garlic into things though - when Al's S6 or Lil's POTW includes packs of garlic I often buy a couple and then roast them - pop the individual cloves out once soft and freeze individually giving me a nice box of roasted garlic cloves ready to add a nice smooth garlicky flavour to anything I think would benefit! :T (Not to self there is to freeze them on either waxed paper or baking parchment NOT greaseproof as they stick to greaseproof - bet you can't guess how I know this?! :rotfl:)

And of course - I should have guessed that was where Austerity October came from!
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business