Like the February Correction ?

Comments

• badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,206 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Alexland wrote: »
    My view is if you are happy with the value you currently see then get on with investing some of it. You will never be able to time the bottom of the market with perfection. If it makes you feel better hold some of your cash back incase it gets worse but accepting that it might get better.

If it gets worse after you have run out of cash there's always the ability to move bonds into equities.

Alex

That's assuming one holds bonds.
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,206 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    coastline wrote: »
    In the short term the February correction was long overdue as the Dow had moved around 15% above its 200 day moving average.Its not that often is becomes so extended.
    Looking at the chart below the worlds main market is just about there now around 25150. Who knows what happens next as it seems to be spooked by the rising 10 year bonds.

http://currentcharts.com/charts/$djia-sma-ca6542564w22405h1k1

See overnight the Dow was a low as 25200 and after a brief rally it appears to be heading in that direction.The FTSE will probably finish below 7000 tonight.

https://tradingeconomics.com/united-states/stock-market

So close:D
  • coastline
    coastline Posts: 1,649 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    This feels very like the stock market falls in the decade before 2008. A few days of falls and then a few days of rises and it's back to square one.

Thing is there hasn't been much volatility until February this year. Look at the last two years and then bang this year.

https://www.advisorperspectives.com/images/content_image/data/36/36054e6065bfb26049f5b0e8f1278087.png
  • Rheumatoid wrote: »
    Stuffed a few K into some UK/Global trackers this morning. Will watch how it goes. If it carries on next week will put some more in. Same the following. Currently overweight in cash so see it as an opportunity.

Which UK/Global trackers if you don't mind me asking?
  • Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,938 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    I was tempted to sell out when Provident Financial hit the mat in 2017, thinking it could signal the bursting of the consumer credit bubble. Before everyone clutches their pearls, I had a reasonably good but non-essential short-term use for the money (making an overpayment on my mortgage in order to remortgage without a guarantor - it isn't purely about the interest rate). So even if the market had carried on rising I wouldn't be too fussed. I also wouldn't have been too fussed if I decided to stay in and the market had crashed. In the end I decided to hang on.

That has probably cured me of any inclination to call the top of the market.
    k8Ejwtp.png
    We are still several years short of the record for the longest-ever bull market (1987-2000). If this bull market does run for a few years more, today's "bloodbath" will be completely forgotten and will be invisible on historic price graphs.
  • Someone posted this in the comments on the Telegraph.... thoughts? do they make a good point?
    The fact is that the markets are spooked - big time. In such times the investment of choice is gold.

In October 2008 gold was £462 per ounce. By 2012 it had risen to £1,090 per ounce before falling back to £ 760 in October 2015 Since then it has risen to £931 at the end of last week dropping to £904 yesterday and up again to £912 today.

The point is that in every year since the 2008 crash gold has outperformed the FTSE substantially. Even more so when there is an economic downturn.

Currently gold is on the rise. Depending on whether we are entering a market correction or an outright crash, gold prices will go up by a decent amount or by a spectacular amount.

Whatever happens, right now gold is the commodity to invest in of you want to protect your assets. How long that will last remains to be seen, and by this time next year things may be very different.
  • Which UK/Global trackers if you don't mind me asking?

Maybe should have more correctly said UK/International but L&G UK100 and International index funds
    16 Panel (250W JASolar) 4kWp, facing 170 degrees, 40 degree slope, Solis Inverter. Installed 29/9/2015 - £4700 (Norfolk Solar Together Scheme); 9.6kWh US2000C Pylontech batteries + Solis Inverter installed 12/4/2022 Year target (PVGIS-CMSAF) = 3880kWh - Installer estimate 3452 kWh:Average over 6 years = 4400 :j
  • gary83
    gary83 Posts: 905 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Nice to see nobody panicking on here, still too early for me to see if it’s a correction or the start of a crash. I saw it as an opportunity today & invested but held some cash reserves back in case the market keeps declining and I’ll go again but was always planning on investing for the long term anyway.
  • Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,938 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Someone posted this in the comments on the Telegraph.... thoughts? do they make a good point?

If hoary old gold-bug ramping constitutes a good point.

If you sold all your investments whenever the markets were "spooked" (which is a lot of the time) and bought gold, you would almost certainly lose money. Over most long term periods, equities outperform shiny zero-yielding metal. All efforts to show the contrary involve industrial size cherry-pickers.
    The point is that in every year since the 2008 crash gold has outperformed the FTSE substantially.
    This is not just a lie but the kind of lie that insults the intelligence of the listener.

2008: FTSE -29%, Gold 46% (Gold win)
    2009: FTSE 30%, Gold 10% (FTSE win)
    2010: FTSE 15%, Gold 34% (Gold win)
    2011: FTSE -3%, Gold 11% (Gold win)
    2012: FTSE 12%, Gold 2% (FTSE win)
    2013: FTSE 21%, Gold -30% (FTSE win)
    2014: FTSE 1%, Gold 5% (Gold win)
    2015: FTSE 1%, Gold -5% (FTSE win)
    2016: FTSE 17%, Gold 30% (Gold win)
    2017: FTSE 13%, Gold 4% (FTSE win)
    2018 to date: FTSE -4%, Gold -7% (FTSE win, and so much for gold being so terrific when the markets are spooked)

Final result: dead heat in an irrelevant contest (as nobody invests in either equities or gold for discrete 1 year periods). Gold has certainly not outperformed in every year since 2008.

As a ten-year continuous investment, over the past ten years gold has outperformed the FTSE, but this is to be expected if you cherry-pick a period that involved a massive crash in the FTSE and a massive boost for gold. The chance of exactly the same happening over the next ten years is very low.
    Whatever happens, right now gold is the commodity to invest in of you want to protect your assets. How long that will last remains to be seen
    Terrific logic. Gold is the commodity to invest in for the long-term, but this might not last forever. So not for the long-term, then.

If you want to protect your assets for the short term, gold is manifestly unsuitable as it is a volatile commodity which can lose half its value or more in a short space of time. If you want to protect your assets for the short term, you want cash.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,020 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Someone posted this in the comments on the Telegraph.... thoughts? do they make a good point?
    The fact is that the markets are spooked - big time. In such times the investment of choice is gold.

In October 2008 gold was £462 per ounce. By 2012 it had risen to £1,090 per ounce before falling back to £ 760 in October 2015 Since then it has risen to £931 at the end of last week dropping to £904 yesterday and up again to £912 today.

The point is that in every year since the 2008 crash gold has outperformed the FTSE substantially. Even more so when there is an economic downturn.

Currently gold is on the rise. Depending on whether we are entering a market correction or an outright crash, gold prices will go up by a decent amount or by a spectacular amount.

Whatever happens, right now gold is the commodity to invest in of you want to protect your assets. How long that will last remains to be seen, and by this time next year things may be very different.
    So, according to those figures, gold dropped by over 30% from 2012 to 2015 and is still now well below its 2012 high - how does that support the bolded conclusion about alleged outperformance every year?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure