Travelling On

Options

Comments

• Karmacat wrote: »
    Thats good to know beanie - I was surprised at how accessible the prices were too (compared to the south of England, anyway).

Handy for London, too. That normally sends prices rocketing:eek:
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Oof, its only just commutable, I think. to be honest CBC - the scheduled time is anything between 1hr 40 and 2h 10! And over that sort of distance, there's a *lot* of chances for things to go wrong :( Mind you, it does have direct links to several London termini - St Pancras, Victoria, Charing Cross and London Bridge. I do think its a fine day trip journey.

Attitudes are different too - went into a hotel with four AA stars, and a staff member enquired if she could help us. I'm just showing my friend around, we told her. So the staff member said, oh in that case, take the lift to the 4th floor, walk up a flight of stairs, and go out onto the rooftop terrace for really spectacular views of the town and the sea. She was lovely! And we did what she said :)
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,270 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    How lovely :D
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Karmacat wrote: »
    Oof, its only just commutable, I think. to be honest CBC - the scheduled time is anything between 1hr 40 and 2h 10! And over that sort of distance, there's a *lot* of chances for things to go wrong :( Mind you, it does have direct links to several London termini - St Pancras, Victoria, Charing Cross and London Bridge. I do think its a fine day trip journey.

That surprised me, KC. I always imagined it was nearer than that:o.

Attitudes are different too - went into a hotel with four AA stars, and a staff member enquired if she could help us. I'm just showing my friend around, we told her. So the staff member said, oh in that case, take the lift to the 4th floor, walk up a flight of stairs, and go out onto the rooftop terrace for really spectacular views of the town and the sea. She was lovely! And we did what she said :)

People can be so nice, can't they? My spirit is frequently lifted by the kindness of total strangers:). Sounds like your whole Margate experience has left very happy memories:j
  • carolbee
    carolbee Posts: 1,708 Forumite
    Options
    Glad you liked Margate, I live a couple of miles from it, and loving seeing all the old houses renovated. Say thank you to your friend!
    Carolbee
  • Suffolk_lass
    Options
    My Dad worked for BT (when it was the Port Office) and they had a holiday hotel in Westgate - the next place along. We stayed there when I was 14 and it was a bit quiet for us (my Sis and me) so we went off to Dreamland in Margate on a number of occasions. I think this is what engendered my love of fairgrounds and Showmen (that is a whole other story). I have always had a fond memory of the area.
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 25.04% spent or £754.10/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • Karmacat
    Options
    beanielou wrote: »
    How lovely :D
    It really was - there's a *lot* of character in the town, the "run down" thing does it a real disservice - OTOH, it stops it getting overcrowded!

People can be so nice, can't they? My spirit is frequently lifted by the kindness of total strangers:). Sounds like your whole Margate experience has left very happy memories:j
    It really has! Even the prom is utterly spectacular, a view of the harbour arm, and omg, the steps from the prom itself leading into the sea. Never seen the like, and I've seen a *lot* of proms :rotfl:
  • Karmacat
    Options
    carolbee wrote: »
    Glad you liked Margate, I live a couple of miles from it, and loving seeing all the old houses renovated. Say thank you to your friend!
    Oh thats great, carolbee! I will say thanks to her, indeed :) I loved the architecture :)

My Dad worked for BT (when it was the Port Office) and they had a holiday hotel in Westgate - the next place along. We stayed there when I was 14 and it was a bit quiet for us (my Sis and me) so we went off to Dreamland in Margate on a number of occasions. I think this is what engendered my love of fairgrounds and Showmen (that is a whole other story). I have always had a fond memory of the area.
    Dreamland must have been perfect for youngsters wanting to test out their independence, how lovely. In fact, it still *is* perfect. They have a roller skating "disco" - old fashioned roller skates, that the kids rent, the oldest I saw was about 14, and the youngest were quite tiny :) It's a great idea, gives the boys a chance to dance, as well as be macho on the rather-more-typical skateboard parks :D And of course, the girls loved it, as I would've :)
  • Karmacat
    Options
    Morning! I finally managed to catch up on my sleep, even though I woke up at 5, I eventually slept again - which means I've missed the council walk, but I'm still a little bit dozy, so I don't really mind. And anyway, the main thing today is taking my laptop, and all those scanned photos, to my sister's, so we can do stuff, including house sale contract *stuff* :)

I realised I get quite loopy when so much of life is spent running from one appointment to the next, or arranging the next few ... I never liked that when I was working, and I don't like it now. So I need to bear that in mind, especially when I'm still catching up on cleaning, maintenance and garden work from the neglect of previous years.

Still. All's good, and its a nice problem to have, a very First World one, I do appreciate that. Onwards and upwards. And shutting down the laptop so I can take it with me :)

Hope everyone has a good day :)
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,270 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Have a good day.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback