PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

September 2009 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    lauhen wrote: »
    I want to make my homemade pizzas, can I freeze them, I want to make about 5 or 6 for the month, and would I cook them the same as other frozen pizzas.

yes and yes :) have a look at the freezing HM pizza thread for more info; you can freeze just the bases or assemble and freeze the complete thing :)
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • Well today I thought I would take the kids (3 of em) out for a memorable day - blackberry picking!
    They certainly enjoyed it (on and off) and had a great day out running around on a local (soon to be) common where there are masses of blackberries.
    They didn't pick many, ate quite a few (the car was a bit whiffy on the way home) but DH and I picked 4 lbs blackberries.
    On the way home I bought 2KG (£2.80) jam sugar with pectin and tonight made 7 jars of jam - in the shops I would assume this would cost a total of £6-7
    I was going to make it in the breadmaker but the sugar bag had a recipe on it for microwave strawberry jam - I just modified this and it only took 21 minutes for 3lbs
    Of course it isn't blackberry jam, in Marks and Spencer they call it "Hedgerow Jam"
    I should now have enough jam to see me through until at least half term and given the kids a free fun day out they won't forget

Is it too late in the year for PYO strawberries?

UD XXX
    Total debt at 01/01/2010 £34,262 (Excludes mega mortgage) Daily interest £12.42
    02/10 Now £3.12 due to repayments, BT and :money:
    Olympic challenge £5081/£28,000 (18.15%)
    Aim to lose 35 lbs from 01/01/2010 to 30/06/10 9.5/35
    1 debt in 100 days £2886/£3839
  • very proud of myself had a cook up this morning and made
    chilli con carne (4 meals for dh)
    and out of to packets of pastry i made 2 quiches, to chicken pies and 10 tarts
    all frozen ready for meals
    also made a packet lunch instead buying it
  • msgnomey
    msgnomey Posts: 1,613 Forumite
    I have decide to get the actual cash out of the bank on a Saturday (do main weekly shop on a Sunday) and see if that makes it any easier to manage!!

So far I have spent £17.42/£60 for the week til next Saturday
    Go hopefully into each new day, enjoy something from every day no matter how small, you never know when it will be your last
  • Kerfuffle
    Kerfuffle Posts: 1,384 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    [QUOTE=Mrsgibbs1503;24662191] My boys are back to school on Wednesday only it's to a new school (due to the move!!) They offer a 20p each per day fruity tuck.
    Do u think I should let my boys join in? (They offer a large cup filled with various fresh fruits/veg etc, differing daily.
    I just know I couldn't offer the variety, (they get heaps of choice on average 4/5 different things to choose from each day, coconut, plum, peach, watermelon, papya, star fruit, cucumber, carrot, cherry toms are just a few)
    What do ya all think??[/QUOTE]

Hello Mrsgibbs, I think this is a brilliant idea, so much better than the junk that was offered when I was at school. A nice little bit of variation too. I would definatelyhave done this when my children were at school.:T

[QUOTE=booskyeboo;24649373] I would like to join the sealed pot challenge too.

Hi booskyeboo.........come on over!!!!!!!:D

Toodles.
  • Money_saving_Diva_2
    Money_saving_Diva_2 Posts: 2,914 Forumite
    edited 30 August 2009 at 4:20AM
    Ok, I failed for months and didn't even try during August but my OH has suddenly had a change of heart and is trying to keep his own spending under control so that should help a lot with the GC.

So, I would like to aim for £300 for September please.

Oh and Rosieben? Thank you for putting my stuffed marrow recipe in the menu list. :T I forgot to put that sometimes we throw in some bacon bits so will go back and add that for those who aren't strictly veggie!

Thank you

Diva.x
    To be frugal, you need to spend money wisely, simply spending less is not enough.
    If you can't handle me at my worst then you don't deserve me at my best...
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the little voice at the end of the day that says I will try again tomorrow.
  • Bowski_1011
    Bowski_1011 Posts: 1,041 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi please can I join in this challenge. I'm trying to get back on track!
    I wasn't sure how much but noticed someone else was in the same situation as me (on my own with DD aged 10) and they had £150 for the month. I know everyone's different but I had no idea what to start at so this sounds good to me

So that's £150 for the month. Thankyou :beer:
    Initial Debt July 2020 - £6,772.80
    Debt now Jan 2021 - £6,208.21
    Overpayment pot - £0
  • I'm going to aim for £300.

I've already spent nearly half but cupboards and freezer are full - only things I need will be perishables like fruit, veg, bread, eggs and milk and whatever odd bargain I come across to restock.
    NSD 0/15
  • Good Morning everyone,

well at least the weather is a bit better today. Yesterday was like mid winter due to which I defrosted stewing steak and it is now in slow cooker for todays dinner. Well when the wind and rain are battering at the door comfort food is called for. So stew, mashed potatoes, and various veg will be on the menu today. All the veg came from local allotment. Have hardly bought any fresh veg this summer due to my generous brother.icon7.gif

Have made up menu for week from freezer, pizza-topped with odds and ends which need using up, breaded sole, chicken stew, mince and doughballs and one soup and pudding night.

When we were children we always had a soup and pudding night. Although it was always a filling home made soup and a substantial pudding such as apple crumble or rhubarb tart and custard. When I look back I realise my Mum was a dab hand at OS living and every month she faced a GC.
    It takes a long time to eat an elephant and I'm doing it a bite at a time!!!
  • ragz_2
    ragz_2 Posts: 3,254 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Please may I join this month.
    Target of £400
    For 2 Adults and 2 toddlers, plus BIL who will be staying for a few weeks.
    Got off to a good start by doing freezer inventory last week and meal planning around that so didn't have to buy any meat (also OH brought back a few bunnies on friday so that's saved us another meal).
    Yesterday's grocery shop came to £63, rather than the usual £80 something (and I bought plants and a mop bucket so £5 off that really). Hoping to not have to buy much in the week apart from Jam sugar (Mr T ran out) and the ususal bread and milk...
    June Grocery Challenge £493.33/£500 July £/£500
    2 adults, 3 teens
    Progress is easier to acheive than perfection.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure