Twinklie returns to the property ladder

Options

Comments

• twinklie
    twinklie Posts: 5,052 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'm feeling really frustrated today. I feel like I want to do more in terms of organising our finances. But I'm a bit stuck in terms of reorganising and reassigning things to different accounts/debts.

DS1's DLA award runs out next month and I'm waiting for his renewal to be processed to find out if he will be reawarded and at what level. We've also now applied for DS2 because we are having to do loads for him and he doesn't sleep. I'm chronically exhausted. But depending on if/when the awards are sorted depends on how our finances are sorted.

If we have to go to appeal for DLA, we'll have to fork out for the added costs out of our own pocket rather than from the DLA money (which is a life saver). I'm not an anxious person, but I honestly don't know how we will continue to meet their needs if they aren't awarded. We pay out quite a bit extra each month to try and ensure life is as consistent and easy for them as possible. I didn't actually realise how much we do put in place for them both until I was filling out the forms. It's just our life, so you just get on with it don't you.

Anyway, they've had DS1's form for 8 weeks now, so I'm hoping in the next 2 weeks we might have an answer for him. And they've had DS2's for 5 weeks, so we might hear in the next 3 weeks for him. Then I feel like I can get a bit more organised (and stop stressing hopefully).
    Reduction in daily mortgage interest since October 23 - £0.31 (started new mortgage)
    % of house owned/% of mortgage paid off. December 23 - 32.30%/24.54%
    MFiT-T6 #5
    MFW 2024 #6
    MF Date: Oct 37 May 37
  • twinklie
    edited 8 June 2019 at 3:47PM
    Options
    As if by magic, DS2 was awarded today. So I can sort some bits and bobs out now. :) I've booked an appointment with the bank to open the same type of account as DS1 has, so I can manage his money properly. However, now I can't find his birth certificate - I remember putting it in a safe place! :mad:
    Reduction in daily mortgage interest since October 23 - £0.31 (started new mortgage)
    MFiT-T6 #5
    MFW 2024 #6
  • twinklie
    Options
    Had a NSD today and only spent £2 yesterday for the kids special needs group! :j

Yesterday was the group in the morning, the boys love it and it’s only on every 2 months so we always make the effort. Then we went for a walk in the rain down a path we didn’t know where it went. The afternoon was all about playing with trains.

Today I was feeling really glum. So I decided we’d have a stay at home day. So I did lots of weeding and tidying of the garden. The boys played really nicely in the garden and made the most of the trampoline. We even spent time snuggled up on the trampoline seeing what shapes we could make out of the clouds. It’s was a fab day. I think I appreciate it a little more knowing we are super busy between now and the end of term with school parties and a few other events.

DH has also accrued some brownie points by clearing out under the car port. Old mattress to the tip and our unwanted freestanding appliances (we have built in ones in this house) taken to their new home. More to do, but we are getting there! :D
    MFiT-T6 #5
    MFW 2024 #6
  • twinklie
    Options
    Found out what sparked DH's productivity, he wanted to fork out for a new man toy to live outside and use for training. It's all become so clear!:rotfl:

Feeling properly gutted this morning. DH was meant to take the boys to a Dad's group, but they got there and it was cancelled. It's my once per month 2 hours to myself. So had a bit of a paddy when they came back.

Anyway, this weekend should be relatively cheap, and I appear to have been managing to keep the grocery spends down much better this month, which I'm really pleased about.

Today we are taking the kids to the family fun day across the road - it's totally free so a lovely cheap day out. Then tomorrow is Fathers Day, so planning for the kids to mooch round the house/garden and annoy their Dad! :D

Although, I do need to do a weekly shop at some point too. Boo.
    MFiT-T6 #5
    MFW 2024 #6
  • twinklie
    Options
    OMG. I just found out you can get an annual family pass to our local steam Railway with unlimited train rides, mini train rides, workshop, museum and playground for £30!
    Guess what I’m buying DS2 for his birthday (albeit he’s getting it early)!
    Trains are life to my pair, so I’m so excited.
    MFiT-T6 #5
    MFW 2024 #6
  • twinklie
    Options
    Daily mortgage interest is now down to £16 per day which is a reduction of 45p since the start of the mortgage.
    We now own 12.9% of the house and have paid of 2.9% of the mortgage! :D

June/July has proved to be pretty expensive though.
    £200 paid to secure SD1's childcare over summer.
    £159 paid to secure DS1's childcare for first half term.
    £16.28 for milk for autumn term.
    £45 for bits of new uniform.

Plus DS1 is no longer coping in his small special needs swimming lessons and is now on 1:1 lessons. He loves swimming and it meets some sensory needs, helps his hypermobility and also is a life saving skill! So we are trying it for 6 weeks with the hope he can return to group lessons (because 1:1's are sooooooo expensive). Thankfully DS1's DLA award came through so we can fund it short term.

DS1 had sports day last week and managed to secure 3rd place in 3 races out of 4, so he is super proud of himself. DS2 has his next week at nursery - I'm so looking forward to it. I can't wait to watch him.

It's reports season at school as well, so that will be interesting. I'm not particularly bothered on their academic results, but would like to know how they've made progress with everything else this year.
    MFiT-T6 #5
    MFW 2024 #6
  • becky170
    becky170 Posts: 857 Forumite
    Options
    That's great that you've reduced your interest by 45p per day. It all starts adding up quickly :)

Well done to your son for sports day! I hope your other son enjoys his too.
    Mortgage-free wannabe #66 £105/4000
  • twinklie
    Options
    Aww the little one ran in his sprint race really well (which is code for he ran to the end in the right direction). Then shamelessly cheated in the bat and beanbag race by just holding them both and running. Ha ha. There were no winners or losers and everyone got a sticker for taking part.

It was soooo cute.
    MFiT-T6 #5
    MFW 2024 #6
  • twinklie
    Options
    So my car broke in a spectacular fashion and we’ve had to take out a loan to get a new one. Money has hit the account and now it’s time to get a new one!

So my finances have taken a slightly different turn. We knew it was coming but was hoping it wouldn’t be until next year. Ah well...we’ve got the loan over 5 years so it should tie in better with the remortgage and not affect things too much.
    MFiT-T6 #5
    MFW 2024 #6
  • becky170
    becky170 Posts: 857 Forumite
    Options
    I'm really sorry to hear about your car, I guess it's even worse timing because it's school holidays. Have you found a new one yet?
    Mortgage-free wannabe #66 £105/4000
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure