Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Andrea
    • By MSE Andrea 18th Jun 18, 10:28 AM
    • 9,109Posts
    • 21,954Thanks
    MSE Andrea
    Brexit discussions
    • 18th Jun 18, 10:28 AM
    Brexit discussions 18th Jun 18 at 10:28 AM
    Hi folks

We're considering placing a ban on all discussion about Brexit.

It would be a shame to do this. We feel many of you are able to discuss the topic in a friendly manner.

However, my team is receiving too many reports about posts that are

a) rude about another forum member
    b) argumentative
    c) disagreement
    d) opinionated
    e) don't break our rules.

Please help my team out by being considerate of other forum members and not reporting posts simply because you disagree with what's being said.

Thank you
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
Page 1
    • indesisiv
    • By indesisiv 18th Jun 18, 11:04 AM
    • 6,099 Posts
    • 20,044 Thanks
    indesisiv
    • 18th Jun 18, 11:04 AM
    • 18th Jun 18, 11:04 AM
    Shouldn't this be posted in The Discussion Time Board maybe somewhere near the Brexit thread?

Maybe if people could accept that others are allowed to have a different opinion to theirs then a discussion could actually take place. Rather than people all just reporting posts because people have a different view!
    “Time is intended to be spent, not saved” - Alfred Wainwright
    • fussypensioner
    • By fussypensioner 18th Jun 18, 11:28 AM
    • 2,736 Posts
    • 6,375 Thanks
    fussypensioner
    • 18th Jun 18, 11:28 AM
    There are certainly a few on the Brexit thread that have at some time come into the "rude about another member," "argumentative" and "opinionated" category.

Unfortunately this actually seems to stifle discussion.
    Holding back the years...
    • bap98189
    • By bap98189 18th Jun 18, 11:28 AM
    • 2,894 Posts
    • 5,011 Thanks
    bap98189
    a) and e) I can understand, but surely b), c) and d) are to be expected on any topic on which not everyone is in agreement.
    • MSE Andrea
    • By MSE Andrea 18th Jun 18, 11:38 AM
    • 9,109 Posts
    • 21,954 Thanks
    MSE Andrea
    • 18th Jun 18, 11:38 AM
    • 18th Jun 18, 11:38 AM
    Thanks folks, I've moved it to DT with a redirect so that people on both boards can see it.

MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    • davidwood681
    • By davidwood681 18th Jun 18, 11:48 AM
    • 468 Posts
    • 1,408 Thanks
    davidwood681
    • 18th Jun 18, 11:48 AM
    • 18th Jun 18, 11:48 AM
    It's pathetic to ban people from having a discussion about Brexit.
    • MSE Andrea
    • By MSE Andrea 18th Jun 18, 11:56 AM
    • 9,109 Posts
    • 21,954 Thanks
    MSE Andrea
    • 18th Jun 18, 11:56 AM
    • 18th Jun 18, 11:56 AM
    a) and e) I can understand, but surely b), c) and d) are to be expected on any topic on which not everyone is in agreement.
    Originally posted by bap98189
    MSE forum members are a great bunch. Many of you are able to debate topics politely as adults without resorting to argument. Unfortunately not everyone can and it's those that are taking up my team's time dealing with reports of posts on non-core MoneySaving boards.

Join the MSE Forum
    • MSE Andrea
    • By MSE Andrea 18th Jun 18, 11:57 AM
    • 9,109 Posts
    • 21,954 Thanks
    MSE Andrea
    • 18th Jun 18, 11:57 AM
    • 18th Jun 18, 11:57 AM
    It's pathetic to ban people from having a discussion about Brexit.
    Originally posted by davidwood681
    Yes it is. Sadly we may have to if people can't discuss it in an adult manner without arguing and making personal comments towards other forum members.

Join the MSE Forum
    • Herzlos
    • By Herzlos 18th Jun 18, 12:00 PM
    • 7,656 Posts
    • 7,017 Thanks
    Herzlos
    • 18th Jun 18, 12:00 PM
    • 18th Jun 18, 12:00 PM
    I don't think you're going to get an adult discussion about it at all, it's far too divisive and emotive. So you're probably best just banning it.
    • Running Horse
    • By Running Horse 18th Jun 18, 12:00 PM
    • 10,553 Posts
    • 21,212 Thanks
    Running Horse
    You would think someone would settle the issue, with something like a vote, where every voter in the country could have their say, then the country could quietly move on while politicians implement the will of the people.
    I was present at wreath-laying but don't think I was involved.
    • cogito
    • By cogito 18th Jun 18, 12:15 PM
    • 3,470 Posts
    • 9,508 Thanks
    cogito
    TBH, I don't actually care if someone is rude to me. As far as I am concerned it's just part of the cut and thrust of a lively discussion with people of different viewpoints.
    • Wild_Rover
    • By Wild_Rover 18th Jun 18, 12:29 PM
    • 5,530 Posts
    • 18,392 Thanks
    Wild_Rover
    Quite stunning stupididy.

If MSE cannot run "discussion" boards on subjects as important as Brexit, they should not be running "discussion" boards at all. Better to axe the lot, rather than leaving us with drivel like cats, dogs, and the intellectual equivalent of "what's your favourite biscuit?"!

Pandering to eejits who think that disagreement equals offence or the expression of views in a forceful manner is an insult adds little to reputation of the site.

One could draw the conclusion that the site's owners just don't like mere mortals discussing subjects and expressing viewpoints that they don't like for political/financial reasons.

Freedom of speech is becoming hard enough in this country. I have yet to suffer an injury from someone calling me anything they like, in however colourful language. Anyone who has an adverse reaction to being called a name or described in a way they don't like (get ready, 'coz, here comes one), should go to their GP and ask for some form of psychiatric assessment.

WR
    Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. Voltaire
    Why should I allow that same God to tell me how to raise my kids, who had to drown His own? RG. Ingersol
    I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting. But it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously. D Adams
    • davidwood681
    • By davidwood681 18th Jun 18, 12:32 PM
    • 468 Posts
    • 1,408 Thanks
    davidwood681
    Yes it is. Sadly we may have to if people can't discuss it in an adult manner without arguing and making personal comments towards other forum members.
    Originally posted by MSE Andrea
    This can happen during any discussion though.

You need some new mods who are up to handling the situation.

Banning people from discussing something is the start of a slippery slope.
    • peter_the_piper
    • By peter_the_piper 18th Jun 18, 12:35 PM
    • 26,220 Posts
    • 35,293 Thanks
    peter_the_piper
    If someones rude etc the easiest course is to block them, you don't need to complain to the mods. If you disagree with the tone of a thread then don't bother to read it.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
    • Wild_Rover
    • By Wild_Rover 18th Jun 18, 12:38 PM
    • 5,530 Posts
    • 18,392 Thanks
    Wild_Rover
    Originally posted by MSE Andrea
    You might be offended by this.... ... but I have to ask....

Did you actually read that over before posting it?

The blessed Martin has made his reputation by arguing....did you see him on Question Time? I know he cashed in his chips a long time ago, but maybe if you don't like HIS methods, the site should ditch any pretence that they want to be associated with him or his methods.

For the avoidance of any doubt, folk can feel free to make any personal comment about me they like. Perhaps that's because I am a grown up, and not a 5 year old in the playground?

WR
    Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. Voltaire
    Why should I allow that same God to tell me how to raise my kids, who had to drown His own? RG. Ingersol
    I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting. But it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously. D Adams
    • Mnd
    • By Mnd 18th Jun 18, 12:38 PM
    • 634 Posts
    • 737 Thanks
    Mnd
    The discussions on these boards, both DT and the house price board are probably what I read first and enjoy the opposing viewpoints.
    It is also the debates here that have opened my eyes and mind to some of the realities of the issues
    As this is the most important issue facing the country, I would be sorry to see any ban on discussing Brexit
    • MidlandsGlory
    • By MidlandsGlory 18th Jun 18, 12:38 PM
    • 473 Posts
    • 1,946 Thanks
    MidlandsGlory
    As a fundamental free speech fanatic I am un-offend-able.

But I do see there is malicious post reporting going on for sure. These do need to stop but closing a thread isn't really the answer.

It would also be helpful if at least the exact apparently objectionable comment is highlighted.

Admonishments from admin usually come with the person's whole post of maybe several statements repeated, often leaving them thinking "well what did I say?" how do I avoid making the same mistake when I can't work out which view was considered over the line?
    • davidwood681
    • By davidwood681 18th Jun 18, 12:38 PM
    • 468 Posts
    • 1,408 Thanks
    davidwood681
    It would be interesting to know if the complaints come from leave or remain supporters
    • Tabbytabitha
    • By Tabbytabitha 18th Jun 18, 12:45 PM
    • 3,574 Posts
    • 5,858 Thanks
    Tabbytabitha
    You might be offended by this.... ... but I have to ask....

Did you actually read that over before posting it?

The blessed Martin has made his reputation by arguing....did you see him on Question Time? I know he cashed in his chips a long time ago, but maybe if you don't like HIS methods, the site should ditch any pretence that they want to be associated with him or his methods.

For the avoidance of any doubt, folk can feel free to make any personal comment about me they like. Perhaps that's because I am a grown up, and not a 5 year old in the playground?

WR
    Originally posted by Wild_Rover
    Don't adults have feelings or do you think that having feelings is childish?
    • MidlandsGlory
    • By MidlandsGlory 18th Jun 18, 12:53 PM
    • 473 Posts
    • 1,946 Thanks
    MidlandsGlory
    It would be interesting to know if the complaints come from leave or remain supporters
    Originally posted by davidwood681
    I know which side the person that warned me to 'be careful' was on when discussing bans.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,111Posts Today

7,591Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin