MSE News: Sainsbury's to trial complete overhaul of its Nectar scheme

Options

Comments

• robin58
    robin58 Posts: 2,802 Forumite
    Options
    Was a member of Mycoupons when they tested that. Got 40 products which I could only pick 5 at time over a 3 week period.

All that happened is they sent me points off certain products of which I would never eat. Most of the promotions were for thier high value Taste the Deference products.

If they change it to the way they now suggest, it will be the death of the scheme. I for one will start to buy less at Sainsburys as I will be be able to get better prices elsewhere.
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!! ;)
  • KxMx
    KxMx Posts: 10,605 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    What about the elderly and those with no smartphone?

From the article:
    For those who don't want to use the app or email to add the offers to the card, Sainsbury's says there will be a customer helpline, or staff will also be able to help in stores
  • Roger1
    Roger1 Posts: 1,603 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    From the article:
    Quote:
    For those who don't want to use the app or email to add the offers to the card, Sainsbury's says there will be a customer helpline, or staff will also be able to help in stores

So,
    1. We'd have to phone somebody, presumably before we leave home?
    or 2. We'd have to find 'staff' instore?

:rotfl: Nah, forget about it. Ever tried to find helpful 'staff' in our local Sainsbury's? I have. It's painful.

Thank heavens our long-waited local Aldi is due to open soon.
  • Paul_DNAP
    Paul_DNAP Posts: 751 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Ectophile wrote: »
    I wonder what they will do if thousands of people on the Isle of Wight say "no".

But then you're assuming that "customer experience" is the main driver of the trial. That may be what they are spinning in the press release, but the main result form the trial will be if it significantly reduced the cost of administering the nectar points scheme, and I'd assume the cost of printing coupons and the time lost in scanning them back in are bigger drivers than if the customer likes it or not.

Roger1 wrote: »
    :rotfl: Nah, forget about it. Ever tried to find helpful 'staff' in our local Sainsbury's? I have. It's painful.

There are some incredibly lovely people work in my Sainsbury's, and they are really helpful when you ask.
    (Although I could be wrong, I often am.)
  • NBLondon
    NBLondon Posts: 5,531 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    There has been an improvement in the last few years in terms of giving me coupons on things I do buy regularly rather than things I won't ever buy e.g. 40 points on cheese is better than 400 on nappies. So if I could then pick these specifically - then I'd be all for it as I can easily check the website once a week and load the card.

But instead of points on spend? You'd have to choose the items you buy every week and do the sums to see if it's better. Then swap it to petrol if you knew you were planning to fill up. And the bonus points had better go back to 100 or 200 not 40 or 50.
    Wash your Knobs and Knockers... Keep the Postie safe!
  • Goldiegirl
    Goldiegirl Posts: 8,805 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    Options
    This Telegraph article reckons its all down to customers deserting Sainsbury's, and going to Aldi and Lidl.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/04/05/sainsburys-punish-customers-shopping-elsewhere-new-nectar-card/

Well, guilty as charged. A really conveniently located Aldi opened near me last October. Now I do most of my shopping at Aldi, and go to Sainsbury's about once a month.

I used to do OK with Nectar. What with points on my Sainsbury's credit card (I use a M&S card more often now), till spit vouchers and the MyCoupon website, I used to make about £70 a year, which was enough to get Christmas food goodies and wine. Since October I've made about £5 in Nectar points.

I'd much rather make genuine savings at Aldi rather than mess around with this new loyalty scheme. I probably won't bother with it.
    Early retired - 18th December 2014
    If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
  • firefox1956
    firefox1956 Posts: 1,548 Forumite
    Options
    Stupid over complicated nonsence ..........
    Nectar Points + Sainsburys = Aldi & Lidl
  • A._Badger
    A._Badger Posts: 5,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Goldiegirl wrote: »
    I'd much rather make genuine savings at Aldi rather than mess around with this new loyalty scheme. I probably won't bother with it.

I agree. The Waitrose scheme was just clumsy. It's typical of the badly managed Sainsbury's that they are looking to emulate it, instead of attending to the real cause of their demise - high prices for very average quality produce and serpentine queues at the checkouts.
  • LavenderBee
    LavenderBee Posts: 350 Forumite
    Options
    Even from our local store refit it looks like Sainsbury's are trying to emulate Waitrose in every way. Some laminate faux wood flooring in the bakery section and recipe cards for blueberry pancakes doesn't mean you can automatically charge the same prices as what has always been an 'up market' shop. Why on earth they'd copy a failed loyalty scheme is beyond me. I wouldn't use it, the main thing I collect on these days is fuel (like others I prefer the genuine savings made in Lidl), so I'll spend my points balance and cancel.
  • Smidster
    Smidster Posts: 519 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Goldiegirl wrote: »
    This Telegraph article reckons its all down to customers deserting Sainsbury's, and going to Aldi and Lidl..

It would appear that they are monumentally out of touch with the consumer mood at the moment.

We are becoming increasingly price conscious - a necessity as disposable income is continually being squeezed - and so consumers are going to the place with the lowest price assuming the quality is OK. Loyalty schemes are all well and good but when you have to spend hundreds to get a small reward then it is not difficult to see why it isn't enough to stop consumers from moving.

If Sainsburys think that they can stem that tide not by focusing on price but by turning an already poor loyalty scheme into something which sounds like a lot of work for the consumer and will always be targeted at high margin (or cost) products.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure