PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Slow Vendor Solicitor

I'm in the process of buying a flat, it's been 9 weeks since the offer was accepted and I've had everything ready to go on this end for about a week (searches done, checks done, mortgage offer and such signed) and have been waiting for replies to queries made over a month ago to the vendor's solicitor, both my solicitor and the estate agent haven't been able to call to anything other than an answer phone as of yet and queries are not being responded to at all.

I called the property management company myself to find out what was going on and apparently the vendor's solicitor hasn't even made a request for them yet. I've asked to estate agent to pass this information to the vendors.

Is there anything I can do at this point? Having searched for reviews of the solicitors (Cook and Talbot) I've seen reviews from buyers who have pulled out purchases after not hearing anything for months on end.

Comments

• Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Are the vendors looking for a property for themselves?
  • pink_pirlie
    pink_pirlie Posts: 238 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    There is not much you can do other than keep bugging the EA and give the vendors an ultimatum- a date by which if you haven’t agreed exchange and completion you will walk away. I would say 9 weeks isn’t too long to wait so far. We were told average time was 13-14 weeks in our area.

We have been waiting since mid-November and finally this week had news about completion but it was “vendor wants to complete on a Monday, we don’t know which Monday yet” - like how helpful is that?!

Unfortunately you’re at the mercy of the slowest link in the chain.
  • m0bov
    m0bov Posts: 2,523 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Start looking at other properties and put your sol on hold.
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,412 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Bear in mind that the solicitor might be waiting for instructions from the vendor - before requesting the management pack.

i.e. it may be the vendor who is delaying (and/or is incompetent), rather than their solicitor.
  • m0bov
    m0bov Posts: 2,523 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    What does the vendor say?
  • m0bov wrote: »
    What does the vendor say?

Only contacted through the estate agents but they seem to be as unhappy as I am.
    Thrugelmir wrote: »
    Are the vendors looking for a property for themselves?

Possibly but there's no chain - it's a flat that's been on buy to let for a while.

Is it reasonable to ask the vendor to change solicitors if this goes on for longer? I'm aware 9 weeks is early but then given that everything else is ready to go...
  • Tiglet2
    Tiglet2 Posts: 2,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    It may have been 9 weeks since your offer was accepted, but your solicitor doesn't start work until they have received the draft contract pack and therefore the "time", as far as they are concerned, starts then.

Everything isn't ready to go. You might be of course, but your solicitor can only raise enquiries following receipt of contract pack and the vendor must pay for the management pack before their solicitor will order it (many management companies will only accept payment from the solicitor not directly from the seller). This will take around 10 working days minimum to provide. Your solicitor will make further enquiries based on the management pack. There may be further delays in responding to management queries. There may be major works revealed in the pack or a deficit in the accounts. All the due diligence by your solicitor takes time. You need to factor in the time your solicitor needs to actually go through the legalities in order that you are protected.

You really shouldn't have contacted the management company as you are not their client. They will only discuss the transaction with the vendor/vendor's solicitor.
  • Tiglet2 wrote: »
    It may have been 9 weeks since your offer was accepted, but your solicitor doesn't start work until they have received the draft contract pack and therefore the "time", as far as they are concerned, starts then.

Everything isn't ready to go. You might be of course, but your solicitor can only raise enquiries following receipt of contract pack and the vendor must pay for the management pack before their solicitor will order it (many management companies will only accept payment from the solicitor not directly from the seller). This will take around 10 working days minimum to provide. Your solicitor will make further enquiries based on the management pack. There may be further delays in responding to management queries. There may be major works revealed in the pack or a deficit in the accounts. All the due diligence by your solicitor takes time. You need to factor in the time your solicitor needs to actually go through the legalities in order that you are protected.

Having contacted the management company they apparently turn requests around in 48 hours, sounds like this could end up taking months if nobody has lifted a finger yet.
    Tiglet2 wrote: »
    You really shouldn't have contacted the management company as you are not their client. They will only discuss the transaction with the vendor/vendor's solicitor.

Good thing I did really.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport