USA Road trip HELP! Nashville to Texas?!

Options
Hi,
I am trying to book a surprise holiday and I am sooooo lost and confused (it doesn't take much!)

I just want the best price for flights, accommodation and car hire. I defo want to include Nashville and Texas for two weeks.

I don't mind want else I can fit in in between times. I've been given a quote for a package deal - but want to see if I can find it for a better price.

I'm looking to go towards the end of the year, but no set dates. Quite flexible.

Where do I start?! Any tips? :o

Comments

• ruffwood
    ruffwood Posts: 96 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    There will be some big distances involved if just driving but if you note Nashville then perhaps you are a music fan and so Austin Tx could be a joint destination. Others probably know their way around flights more than I do but a return flight to either might be cheaper then spend a few days in one have a single flight one way to the other then drive back taking in Dallas and Memphis. BA now fly direct to both and if flexible not as expensive as you might think whilst in the Lo cost model investigate Norwegian. Southwest fly between the 2 for about $175 taking 2 hours non stop if you book in advance
  • blindman
    blindman Posts: 5,659 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 6 April 2018 at 8:31PM
    Options
    lulu984 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I am trying to book a surprise holiday and I am sooooo lost and confused (it doesn't take much!)

I just want the best price for flights, accommodation and car hire. I defo want to include Nashville and Texas for two weeks.

I don't mind want else I can fit in in between times. I've been given a quote for a package deal - but want to see if I can find it for a better price.

I'm looking to go towards the end of the year, but no set dates. Quite flexible.

Where do I start?! Any tips? :o

Give us a laugh then-what was the package deal price?

Details
    Where can you fly from?
    When do you expec to go-Sept\Oct\Nov

BIG distance between Nashville and "Texas"
    Hire car for a road trip would incur one way fees :eek:
    Also would eat into the two weeks, however depends what you want.

OW fee may be worth the joy of the road trip :)

One option would be to
    Fly into (say) Nashville-drive around there if needed.

Internal flight\train\coach to "Texas"
    Drive around there.
    Go home.

More details needed really.
  • mgdavid
    mgdavid Posts: 6,705 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    ruffwood wrote: »
    There will be some big distances involved if just driving but if you note Nashville then perhaps you are a music fan and so Austin Tx could be a joint destination. ............

Nashville to Austin is only a couple of days' drive, can be compared to Lands End to John O'Groats except on straight roads and without the traffic! If the interest and theme is music you can do so much more.
    Start with this thread and pick up on the relevant sections that you will have time for in your 2 weeks i.e. skip the west coast end part.
    https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g1-i12567-k10406578-Music_road_trip_across_the_USA_June_July_2017-Road_Trips.html
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
  • blindman
    blindman Posts: 5,659 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 6 April 2018 at 9:29PM
    Options
    mgdavid wrote: »
    Nashville to Austin is only a couple of days' drive, can be compared to Lands End to John O'Groats except on straight roads and without the traffic! If the interest and theme is music you can do so much more.
    Start with this thread and pick up on the relevant sections that you will have time for in your 2 weeks i.e. skip the west coast end part.
    https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g1-i12567-k10406578-Music_road_trip_across_the_USA_June_July_2017-Road_Trips.html

900 miles

I'm used to driving 500 miles in a day when needed on USA road trips, so yes it could be done in 2 days.

OP needs to price up a OW drop off fee for the car (look around as they can vary a lot).

Not a huge USA music fan but have been to Memphis and New Orleans.
    Both unmissable IMHO.

Tripadvisor link looks good.

Open jaw flight definitelty the way to go here.
  • lulu984
    lulu984 Posts: 394 Forumite
    Options
    blindman wrote: »
    Give us a laugh then-what was the package deal price?

Details
    Where can you fly from?
    When do you expec to go-Sept\Oct\Nov

BIG distance between Nashville and "Texas"
    Hire car for a road trip would incur one way fees :eek:
    Also would eat into the two weeks, however depends what you want.

OW fee may be worth the joy of the road trip :)

One option would be to
    Fly into (say) Nashville-drive around there if needed.

Internal flight\train\coach to "Texas"
    Drive around there.
    Go home.

More details needed really.

The price I was quoted for 14 nights in Sept, two adults, flights, accommodation, internal flights and car hire was £3800. Which I think is a really good price!?

I can fly from anywhere in London, towards the end of the year so Sept, Oct or Nov.

No particular place in Texas, but I would love to see the music side of Nashville however the whole trip in not music themed.

Any ideas of where to start regarding flights and all the additional extras I might not think of with a road trip.

:j
  • NoodleDoodleMan
    NoodleDoodleMan Posts: 3,357 Forumite
    Options
    Watch your dates for Nashville - CMA Awards time is in October and prices will reflect that, and accommodation will be hard to find if not already booked.

Two days driving to Texas doesn't sound appealing to me though.
  • markandkate
    markandkate Posts: 846 Forumite
    Options
    I always use Kayak to book flights. You can often get connecting flights via your nearest airport so you don't have to go to Heathrow or Gatwick. You can also fly into one airport and fly out of another and look for a one way rental or even an overnight train via Amtrak if that works with you destinations.
  • mgdavid
    mgdavid Posts: 6,705 Forumite
    Options
    In to Nashville, home from Austin, 13 days touring by car.
    Memphis, Jackson, New Orleans, Houston, Austin - pick your own interests and route.
    Flights and car c. £2k, allow $100/night for accom so £2900 - leaves you £900 for fuel and meals, should beat your agents quote.

Always book flights direct with the airline.
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
  • cubegame
    cubegame Posts: 2,042 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    As US road trips go this route would be fairly dull. It all depends where you're heading in Texas but the landscape west of Nashville is very uninspiring.

As a veteran of many road trips we "did" just West Texas as a separate two week trip.
  • PeacefulWaters
    PeacefulWaters Posts: 8,495 Forumite
    Options
    cubegame wrote: »
    As US road trips go this route would be fairly dull. It all depends where you're heading in Texas but the landscape west of Nashville is very uninspiring.

As a veteran of many road trips we "did" just West Texas as a separate two week trip.

I must confess, I was thinking much the same.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure