Best reward card for a large payment

Hi All,
Hoping for some advice, I’m due to pay some uni fees (a little over 10k) and I want to make sure I get the maximum reward possible! I can pay the full amount off the card straight away.

For previous instalments, I’ve used my BA Amex Premium Plus card so I’ve automatically triggered the companion voucher and got air miles also but as I got my last companion voucher at the beginning of January, I won’t be eligible for another 6 months.
I had planned to apply for a virgin card, I did so and was accepted but they asked me to send proof of ID and unfortunately I broke my ankle and didn’t get the documents to them in time. This has meant I can’t apply for another virgin product for 6 months (but I have appealed this). If this doesn’t work out, does anyone have any other suggestions? At the moment I’m considering just putting it on the Amex for the points, but it would be great if I could get another companion voucher too.
I’ve considered asking my bf or a friend to apply for a BA card but I don’t want to make them uncomfortable.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks for your help!

Comments

• First off there’s no guarantee you’ll get a card with that kind of limit.

Don’t ask a friend or colleague to apply for a card themselves.
  • redux
    redux Posts: 22,976
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    It's hard to find anything over half a per cent, and most of those have a monthly cap. American Express has a decent starter offer for new accounts, but it sounds like you already have one. Maybe it's worth considering a card with a couple of years at 0% on spending, and keep the money in savings for that time, 1.5 to 5% available in some bank accounts and regular monthly savers.
  • Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    Forumite
    edited 2 June 2019 at 8:44PM
    You are a student who spends/travels often enough that it is worth your while to hold an Amex card with a £195 annual fee, whose university accepts payment by Amex card and who holds an Amex card with a credit limit in excess of £10k who then successfully applied for a Virgin card which was accepted but they asked for ID documents (unusual) which you failed to provide on time due to breaking your ankle.
    OK.
    The chance of your being accepted as a student for another card with a credit limit in excess of £10k is rather remote. Just use the current Amex card; you won't get better.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure