Sky early cancellation fee

Hi all,
I have just moved house and left sky broadband to join up to Virgin. Sky put the price up by £2 in April, and said I had a month to cancel the contract if i wasn't happy. I did nothing at the time (as i didn't know I'd be moving) and assumed that whether or not they gave me this option, they were breaching our contract, so when it came to it I wouldn't have to pay the early termination fee. Now I have cancelled and challenged the fee, but they are adamant I need to pay £72! Where do I stand legally, and how should I proceed? Thanks!

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    You'll either need to pay the early termination fee, or stick with them.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Legally you need to pay the £72 as you owe it.
  • boatman
    boatman Posts: 4,699 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    When sky told you about the price rise, you had 30 days from then to tell them you want to leave, after that, by default you have accepted the new price. Time to pay up and move on..
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Legally you had a contract that stated they may raise the prices .S they did not breach your contract .

But they would contact you under Ofcom rules you had 30 days from that contact to inform Sky that you wished to leave due to the price increase .

You did not leave due to the price increase but accepted it by doing nothing .
    See multiple identical price rise posts .
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure