BT Halo 1

I don't know if anybody else is suffering a bombardment from BT about this Halo 1 they are offering.

It seems that for an extra £3 a month, BT promise to look after me better than they do whilst I'm only paying £31.99 for my fibre broadband.

I've been inundated over the past few weeks by BT by post and email trying their best to get me to sign up, when I haven't the slightest interest in paying extra for nothing extra really. Two emails today alone, and a really expensive looking mailshot earlier this week!

To me, BT sound really desperate to offload this not very good deal.
"There are not enough superlatives in the English language to describe a 'Princess Coronation' locomotive in full cry. We shall never see their like again". O S Nock

Comments

• Chino
    Chino Posts: 2,029
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    I don't know if anybody else is suffering a bombardment from BT about this Halo 1 they are offering.

It seems that for an extra £3 a month
    Consider yourself lucky - according to the emails I've received BT would charge me an extra £5 per month for the dubious privilege of having Halo 1.
  • Stompa
    Stompa Posts: 8,348
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Chino wrote: »
    Consider yourself lucky - according to the emails I've received BT would charge me an extra £5 per month for the dubious privilege of having Halo 1.

It's an extra £15 for me!
    Stompa
  • Linton
    Linton Posts: 17,066
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Hung up my suit!
    Forumite
    I had no need of the extras Halo offered but when my contract came up for renewal BT persuaded me to switch to Halo by reducing the £32 bill to £31.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    edited 12 December 2019 at 10:21AM

It seems that for an extra £3 a month, BT promise to look after me better than they do whilst I'm only paying £31.99 for my fibre broadband.

I've been inundated over the past few weeks by BT by post and email trying their best to get me to sign up, when I haven't the slightest interest in paying extra for nothing extra really. Two emails today alone, and a really expensive looking mailshot earlier this week!

To me, BT sound really desperate to offload this not very good deal.

I had a quick Google and while I don't know if they're correct the 3rd reply sounds entirely possible:-

https://community.bt.com/t5/Announcements-Guides-Community/Introducing-BT-Halo/td-p/1981806
    dimspace
    Aspiring Contributor
    on ‎11-12-2019 22h32

Message 4 of 4
    Re: Introducing BT Halo
    Going to be honest, I am VERY suspicious of this new Halo package and it looks like BT might be trying to pull a fast one.

As youve no doubt read in the media, phone companies are going to have to offer existing customers deals equivalent to those offered to new customers. So if a new customer is being offered fibre for £36.00 a month, then an existing customer on the same package will at renewal need to be offered the same deal. My gut feeling is that Halo is being marketed to get around this change.

look at the BT prices for new customers

Regular Fibre 2 - 39.99

Halo Fibre 2 - 57.99!!!!!!!!!

What is the difference between these two packages? Some tech support and a stay connected promise.

But, if you are on "Halo" and it comes to the end of your contract, they only have to match what a new customer is being charged £57.99

Whereas regular fibre 2, they will be obliged to let you have it for £39.99

Looks very much to me like BT are trying to get existing customers onto a plan that will have an artificially high "new customer" deal to get round the change in the law. Personally I am getting about 3 emails a week as well as countless bits in the post trying to get me to switch.
  • MoneyMate
    MoneyMate Posts: 3,224
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    And then March 2020 they will be informing customers about price increases ?
    There are more questions than answers :shhh: :silenced:
    WARNING ! May go silent for unfriendly replies
    Please excuse me Spell it MOST times :o
    :)
    :A UK Resident :A
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281
    Forumite
    Yes built in price increase due March 2020 based upon Jan 2020 CPI .
    Probably no Ofcom get out either as user agrees on all contracts after August 2018 .
  • mgdavid
    mgdavid Posts: 6,705
    Forumite
    Had email today telling me BT are "adding BT Halo 1 to my existing package at no extra cost".
    Is that good for me, and if not can I opt out of it ? (email doesn't mention any possible opt-out)
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
  • bill888
    bill888 Posts: 248
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    BT Halo offers a price promise the cost won't increase (eg. Fibre 1 is normally about £45 pm?) when your contract ends. 
    Also if you are likely suffer prolonged broadband outage because repairs are taking longer than expected, I believe they will send you a mini hub to get you back online via mobile broadband.
  • tri5ia
    tri5ia Posts: 1
    First Post First Anniversary
    mgdavid said:
    Had email today telling me BT are "adding BT Halo 1 to my existing package at no extra cost".
    Is that good for me, and if not can I opt out of it ? (email doesn't mention any possible opt-out)
    I had a letter to that effect. It ends, There’s no extra cost and no new contract. So there’s no need for you to do anything but enjoy your great new BT Halo 1 benefits. I can’t help wondering what the catch is.
  • tri5ia said:
    mgdavid said:
    I had a letter to that effect. It ends, There’s no extra cost and no new contract. So there’s no need for you to do anything but enjoy your great new BT Halo 1 benefits. I can’t help wondering what the catch is.
    Yet I've had a letter today offering it to me as an 'exclusive upgrade' for only £9.60 a month extra (and with the added bonus of a new 24 month contract)!  Do BT actually think their customers are nuts?  
    "There are not enough superlatives in the English language to describe a 'Princess Coronation' locomotive in full cry. We shall never see their like again". O S Nock
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback