Sainsbury’s drops Basics as part of new five-year plan

S_uk
S_uk Posts: 337 Forumite
Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
Sainsbury’s this week added 120 new products under 12 tertiary brands that will replace its existing Basics entry-level own label range. Food Commercial director Paul Mills-Hicks admitted that “Basics wasn’t working in terms of doing the job we needed it to do”. It will have 200 lines by the end of the year and one more brand will be added.

https://www.thegrocer.co.uk/own-label/sainsburys-drops-own-label-basics-range-as-part-of-new-five-year-plan/597989.article

Interesting that Sainsbury's has decided to go down the same route as Tesco and scrap its value products and replace it with another budget label range.

Would you say the creation of the new Tesco value 'brands' was worth it? I don't really see much difference between them and their old value stuff? Isn't a lot of it exactly the same with different packaging? Or is it all about perception to help reduce market loss to Aldi/Lidl?

Comments

• I wonder what the "the job we needed it to do" was?
  • It's another way of trying to beat ALDI by having own brand instead of own label. Also to pull in more customers as people on a tight budget would go to ALDI and not to Tesco/Sainsbury as a trolley full of value/basic lines just screamed pauper.
  • from what I can tell the products are essentially the same thing, just in fancier packaging and a higher price point. I frequently buy 'tesco value' which is now 'Mollys' baked good 'stock-something' tinned/packaged goods, etc. The Mollys biscuits are identical to the value ones, as are the beans, spaghetti hoops etc.
    I do think they are trying to seem appealing to the market they have now lost to the likes of lidl/aldi, and I'm pretty sure ASDA and Morrison will follow and do a similar shake up of their budget ranges to keep inline with their competitors.
    I have def noticed an increase in the prices though with these packaging/branding changes which is a shame, but I suppose the fancier packaging must cost more to produce.
    Saving for a house in 2025 LISA £7726/£15000 Emergency Fund £1000/£6000 No spend Year 2023
  • I am a big fan of Sainsburys Basic range, I better stock up what I can.
    As far as I am concerned it's just a ploy to increase prices for the same quality.
    I am not a bit bothered about having a basket full of Basic items when other people have more expensive brands.
    If you go down to the woods today you better not go alone.
  • I am a big fan of Sainsburys Basic range, I better stock up what I can.
    As far as I am concerned it's just a ploy to increase prices for the same quality.
    I am not a bit bothered about having a basket full of Basic items when other people have more expensive brands.
    I'm much the same, I don't care at all that my basket has basic items, However, my kids are less than impressed that their lunch boxes reflect my cheap spending habits. :-)
    Saving for a house in 2025 LISA £7726/£15000 Emergency Fund £1000/£6000 No spend Year 2023
  • System
    System Posts: 178,092 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    I am a big fan of Sainsburys Basic range, I better stock up what I can.

Prices of the former Basics lines for the fresh items have been the same, Dairy is Mary Ann's (the name of the wife of the founder John) and meat is J James
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure