New boiler installation

Comments

• macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    OP, if you buy from one of the nationals selling boilers on credit, it'll work out massively expensive, and you'll find the install being done in a one-day rush by a subcontracted RGI whom you will never see again, and who was paid at rock-bottom rates to fit a cheap contract boiler.
    If you can't afford to pay for the install outright, then get a bank loan, overdraft, interest free credit card and finance it yourself.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • ValiantSon
    ValiantSon Posts: 2,586 Forumite
    It is very easy to rubbish BG and it is often done on here. I have no doubt BG have crap people working for them and also very good people working for them. The people who install are not responsible for the front end sale of the system or new boiler. Equally, there are plenty of completely useless independents and growing by the year in this modern era of poorer levels of training and certification.

Many people are prepared to pay the BG premium for the assurance of dealing with a large organization that is more answerable.

You keep telling yourself that. Ignore the fact that they subcontract the work and ignore the fact that an independent has the same qualifications as a British Gas contractor. If you want to line British Gas' pockets go right ahead, but don't invent nonsense about dodgy independents to scare other people.
  • C_Mababejive
    C_Mababejive Posts: 11,654 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 9 April 2018 at 12:11AM
    ValiantSon wrote: »
    You keep telling yourself that. Ignore the fact that they subcontract the work and ignore the fact that an independent has the same qualifications as a British Gas contractor. If you want to line British Gas' pockets go right ahead, but don't invent nonsense about dodgy independents to scare other people.

You misunderstand, I am saying there is good and bad in both BG and independents. They are not exclusive to BG as some on here would have us believe. Qualifications? There was a time when you had to do 3 or 4 years min CGLI to be classed as a Gas Service Engineer CGLI 662. Now its just bung a load of money to some training centre, get a ticket and your fit to fly. Some of them cant even do a basic low pressure tightness test.(both BG and Indies)

BG do not subcontract all their work. I have encountered direct BG employees doing boiler exchanges and heating installs.
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Some of the 'better' boilers - e.g. recommended by WHICH - such as Worcester and Veissman give 7 or 10 year Guarantees. These manufacturers also list their approved suppliers for your area.

I have had two boilers fitted in the past couple of years and the quote from a recommended fitter(with 10 year warranty) was about 50% of the price BG wanted.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Cardew wrote: »
    Some of the 'better' boilers - e.g. recommended by WHICH - such as Worcester and Veissman give 7 or 10 year Guarantees. These manufacturers also list their approved suppliers for your area.

I have had two boilers fitted in the past couple of years and the quote from a recommended fitter(with 10 year warranty) was about 50% of the price BG wanted.

It is also worth pointing that often there are three requirements to secure a long term boiler warranty:

1. The boiler is installed by a manufacturer-accredited GSR engineer.

2. The heating system is cleaned/flushed to comply with the installation instructions.

3. The boiler is serviced annually by a GSR engineer.
  • bluedove
    bluedove Posts: 228 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    The HFB sales man is coming on the 16th for a survey and quote.

Depending on the quote, i will maybe get an interest free C.C to finance the installation.
    Though the vision may not be the true future of man but it can't be completely beyond his control.
  • bluedove
    Received quote today from Hassle free boilers:

Worcester Bosch 30i Greenstar
    Boiler supply and installation
    - 10 year Worcester Bosch manufacturer warranty
    - 2 year workmanship warranty
    - Magnaclean magnetic filter
    - Supply and installation of boiler flue and controls
    - Full system clean, flush and protection

Asbestos Artex Drilling Service
    Worcester Plume Kit
    Scale Reducer

PRICE: £2500

Viessmann Vitodens 50W 29kW
    Including:
    - Boiler supply and installation
    - 5 year Viessmann manufacturer warranty
    - 2 year workmanship warranty
    - Magnaclean magnetic filter
    - Supply and installation of boiler flue and controls
    - Full system clean, flush and protection*

Asbestos Artex Drilling Service
    Viessmann Plume Kit
    Scale Reducer

PRICE: £2000

i am tempted to go for the VIESSMANN but apparently the parts aren't generic and not readily available.

Will appreciate opinions on prices and reviews on VIESSMANN from anyone who got one
    Though the vision may not be the true future of man but it can't be completely beyond his control.
  • ValiantSon
    ValiantSon Posts: 2,586 Forumite
    The quote for the Worcester Bosch is towards the top end of what I would expect, but not out of the ball park.

No experience of Viessmann.

Is a 10 year warranty not worth £500?
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,606 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    £2-£2.5k sounds about right

Have you worked out how much the finance charges will be if you are taking on a long term loan.

Could you get the same prices if you got a bank loan.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • bluedove
    edited 1 May 2018 at 5:13PM
    Worcester apparently is a top range boiler, they also have 2 or 3 year payment plan at 7.9% APR

British Gas came out today and gave me a quote for same Worcester boiler at £3450, i asked the technician for quote on other brands they install and he reckons they are all about same price
    BG payment plan is at 9.6% APR
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure