Frump to Fab 2018 - Fabulous Dahhhhlings

Comments

• humptydumptybits
    humptydumptybits Posts: 2,992 Forumite
    I know someone who had crowns in Hungary and she was very disappointed with the outcome. She said one problem is if it goes wrong you can't just pop back to see them although I love Budapest so it would be a nice excuse for a little break.

On the other hand one of the dentists at the practice I go to is Spanish, I have seen her once for an emergency appointment when I broke a tooth and she was very good. She was really funny and initially I was a bit worried as she just seemed to be messing around but she was excellent. If my dentist moved I'd happily go to her.

Of course the reality is that every other Hungarian dentist might be wonderful and every other Spanish dentist might be dreadful so not much help really.
  • humptydumptybits
    Just thinking about it a friend of mine had implants done at a dental hospital. Sounds a bit scary having students doing it but they are well supervised. She said the big disadvantage is it takes ages as they are learning and everything has to be checked very carefully at each stage. Advantage was minimal cost. Don't know if that is still available, she had it done 20 years ago and they still look great.
  • chanie
    chanie Posts: 3,317
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    lessons MIL is having her teeth done in Turkey as we speak. She was recommended this particular dentist by an ex-pat who lives out there and they have had work done themselves. If you are interested, I can find out the details for you (once MIL gets back).

Whilst on the subject of teeth, DS chipped a tooth recently, so I have to take him to the dentist this week. I have also booked myself an appointment - the receptionist pointed out that my last appointment was in 2014 (oops). I hope I dont need too much doing. Other than wearing a brace in my teens, I have been lucky with my teeth, but I will be 40 next year and I know I should ensure I have regular check ups going forward.
  • humptydumptybits
    We pay for denplan and see the dentist twice a year and hygienist 4 times a year. If we need a crown we just pay lab costs. I have a bit of a phobia at the thought of dentures so I am happy to invest in my teeth. I'm mid 60s and have never had an extraction, my kids think it is hilarious as they have all had wisdom teeth out but I never got wisdom teeth and I tell them I am more evolved than them as apparently wisdom teeth cause problems as our jaws are no longer big enough for them.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,493
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    We pay for denplan and see the dentist twice a year and hygienist 4 times a year. If we need a crown we just pay lab costs. I have a bit of a phobia at the thought of dentures so I am happy to invest in my teeth. I'm mid 60s and have never had an extraction, my kids think it is hilarious as they have all had wisdom teeth out but I never got wisdom teeth and I tell them I am more evolved than them as apparently wisdom teeth cause problems as our jaws are no longer big enough for them.

That's interesting. We have Denplan too but are only offered 2 check ups and 2 hygienist appointments plus any emergency work. I wonder if there are different plans or it's just my surgery short of hygienists. At my previous practice, the dentist did everything himself.
    chanie wrote: »
    lessons MIL is having her teeth done in Turkey as we speak. She was recommended this particular dentist by an ex-pat who lives out there and they have had work done themselves. If you are interested, I can find out the details for you (once MIL gets back).

Whilst on the subject of teeth, DS chipped a tooth recently, so I have to take him to the dentist this week. I have also booked myself an appointment - the receptionist pointed out that my last appointment was in 2014 (oops). I hope I dont need too much doing. Other than wearing a brace in my teens, I have been lucky with my teeth, but I will be 40w next year and I know I should ensure I have regular check ups going forward.

I know it's expensive chanie but it is worth going regularly. :)

I always book my appointment before I go to Turkey. Where I go, the local dentist is called Attila and I've never risked having to use him! :rotfl:
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,188
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Forumite
    Our Denplan covers check-ups & hygienist twice a year, but also fillings & my root canal that needed to be re-done due to a split nerve not being fully removed :o I think there are varying levels according to each practice.
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • seven-day-weekend
    seven-day-weekend Posts: 36,755
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Our Denplan covers everything apart from lab fees for dentures/crowns, also two check-ups and hygienists per year. Myself, my husband, our son and his partner are all on it - this works out cheaper than having separate ones. We pay £78 a month between us, which I think is excellent value.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Good morning lovely ladies......

Up with the larks again this morning. I am loving these bright summer mornings, makes me feel great to be alive. As the saying goes "full of the joys of spring". :rotfl:

Although it's not quite so nice today and decidedly cooler. So going to have a house fabbing day, make everywhere ship shape for the next batch of viewings.

Didn't manage any gardening yesterday because of my impromptu lunch with DIL. Which brings me to another facet of my year to change my life. When to say "YES" and when to say "NO".

YES to fun stuff like impromptu meetings or gatherings, YES to surprise invitations to do something nice. And a definite resounding NO to anything or anyone negative, nasty or unpleasant.

Ooooh. Forgot to mention yesterday I made myself some body oil and some facial oil. Cheap as chips and as good as anything you can buy.

Didn't manage my full 5k steps but did a full yoga workout. So not too bad. It's cooler today and my knee feels reasonable so will tape it up and go for a walk later.

Onwards and upwards ......have a great day. The sun will be back soon. :D

Keeeeep fabbing.
  • Lesson Learned - having a "brain fade" moment and trying to think who were the glamorous older women you quoted recently. Can you refresh my memory please?

Reason being - I went to the hairdresser for a restyle and said "I'll have what she's got for a style" and I forgot to write the name of celebrity concerned in my diary:o
  • sugarbaby125
    sugarbaby125 Posts: 3,335
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Hello Ladies,

I had a good evening at Karaoke last night. I made the effort and wore perfume and layered it with the matching body lotion and body powder. I wore a red sweetheart neckline, short sleeved t-shirt, with one of my long pull on black skirts and my new black patent leather Van Dal sandals. I wore solid gold jewellery with my gold plated Tissot watch.

I sang 5 songs last night as there were only a few singers:

1. Fever by Peggy Lee

2. It's Now Or Never by Elvis

3. Hurt So Good by Susan Cadogan

4. You Were Always On My Mind by Elvis

5. Dream Lover by Bobby Darin

LL thank you for the vote of confidence in my singing abilities, but I cannot imagine myself as a professional singer. I am not an accomplished enough singer in my opinion, even though I get compliments about my singing. My younger daughter and son are the type of personalities that really need me to be available to them. I love singing for fun, but I can enjoy that as I can please myself and there are no expectations. :) I sing at home, but that is usually the gospel songs that I learnt in childhood and my early adult life as I love singing them. :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure